One Greens Plaza

Well this may also be why so much land is being cleared. I tell you, Greenspoint will really become an attractive area for business when the mall is renovated and all the lofts and resturants come in. It's close to the airport and two major freeways. This is not suprising to me at all to see this type of development.

The same holds true for downtown. I don't know why JP could not be another 5 floors. They fly around downtown, not over it. Will JP forever be the tallest building downtown, or has the height restrictions been lifted??

The same holds true for downtown. I don't know why JP could not be another 5 floors. They fly around downtown, not over it. Will JP forever be the tallest building downtown, or has the height restrictions been lifted??

Dunno .. actually didn't know there was a height restriction downtown.

I think part of the reason the buildings are not spectacular is that I am sure there are height restrictions being so close to the airport?

Building height is a function of demand and construction costs. Nobody is going to build a skyscraper in Greenspoint because they couldn't get high enough rents to make such a large and particularly expensive project financially feasible.

Additionally, the building is not spectacular because either the architect or their developer client has apparently been in a cave for the last 10 years. Buildings of all heights and dimensions can look cutting edge if the architect knows what he's doing and can sell class.

That tower looks so 1999.

Maybe the architecht and developer wants it to fit in with the current skyline in Greenspoint. I think this is great for Greenspoint including the mall renovation. The area dos not deserve its reputation. When I lived on the Northside a while ago we always went to Greenspoint because we thought it was nice. I awlways was confused when I would hear someone say Greenspoint was in the Hood.

Maybe the architecht and developer wants it to fit in with the current skyline in Greenspoint. I think this is great for Greenspoint including the mall renovation. The area dos not deserve its reputation. When I lived on the Northside a while ago we always went to Greenspoint because we thought it was nice. I awlways was confused when I would hear someone say Greenspoint was in the Hood.

The correct term would be "gunspoint"

If they wouldn't allow JP to go up to 80 floors, why would they change their mind now?

Technology has changed a lot since the restrictions of the 70's and 80's were drawn up. Ground radar is being replaced by satellite navigation, for example.

There are a fair number of pilots on HAIF. Maybe one of them will chime in.

• 3 weeks later...

there was a thread some time ago about FAA issues and building heights. it may have been before the haif crash though. i believe the information we received concluded that there were no height restrictions. maybe someone else will remember.

there was a thread some time ago about FAA issues and building heights. it may have been before the haif crash though. i believe the information we received concluded that there were no height restrictions. maybe someone else will remember.

You know I want to say that I remember seeing it on the observation deck. Why don't one of you go check it out. If it's not there, at least you have a cool view!

Can someone produce an authentic FAA document that says the building was supposed to 80 stories. I can't find one myself. Until I see one I'm calling bullsh!t on the whole 80-story urban legend.

Not an FAA Document, but...

JPMorgan Chase Tower was originally planned to be 80 stories tall, but the Federal Aviation Administration limited this and future buildings to 75 stories; anything higher would be labeled by the federal agency as hazardous to air navigation.

Located here: http://www.chasetower.com/buildinghistory.htm

I do recall reading the post somewhere (I'm pretty sure it was here!) with the same statement that the 80 story restriction was a mere myth or just outright false and that one of the commenters was surprised that the quoted statement was on the tower's official website. Wish someone could dig that up though...

'I do recall reading the post somewhere (I'm pretty sure it was here!) with the same statement that the 80 story restriction was a mere myth or just outright false and that one of the commenters was surprised that the quoted statement was on the tower's official website. Wish someone could dig that up though... '

Oh the wikiality of it all....

e-mail the architect if you don't believe me.

Just for the record, THIS is what I was calling nonsense: "It was originally suppose to be 60, hence the observation deck." The "observation deck" is there because of the upper elevator lobby. Just like in Wells Fargo and Williams Tower.

• 5 months later...

Archived