Greenspoint Development

wxman

There is a lot on the N. bound side of 45 just inside the beltway that has been cleared now for a couple of weeks. The lot gigantic. You could fit several highrises in it. Does anybody know?

*I tried to find the other thread about this, but couldn't.*

Guest Marty

I remember reading about something like this in a early 80's newspaper that i have somewhere, they wanted to build a another mall just inside the beltway @ I-45 but on the south bound side.

[uPDATE] Signs are up on the Imperial Valley side of the site stating that this will be an office park....and from the size of the site, a very large office park indeed. The sites boundaries are Greens Bayou to the North, Aldine Bender Rd. to the South, Imperial Valley Dr. to the East, and I-45 to the West...that's a lot of urban forestry...lost!

Also, it looks like Airline Drive is being extended through the office park (under construction) to connect to Greenspoint Drive, givin all the Nawf'-side gang-bangers easier access to the soon-to-be redeveloped Greenspoint Mall. Hooray!!!

No links to back this up, but heck, drive by the site....you'll see what Im referring to.

Ok, I found an article that tells the tale of what is going on at Greenspoint. It will be a new 1.3 million sq. ft office/warehouse park. This will also be complete with several beautification projects including a fancy pedestrian bridge.

Also in the article, renovations at Greenspoint Mall will begin next month. The plans have been finalized and work is ready to begin. It will change names and be complete with a waterway (like The Woodlands), resturants, lofts, and parks.

http://www.greenspoint.org/ExportedSite/Ma...%20Activity.htm

The company I work for just bought out a company that's office was in the Greenspoint area. The stories I heard from the people who had to go over there were not good at all. We moved them into our main office as soon as we could because most of our employees were very uncomfortable with the area. When white collar workers don't feel safe (rightly or wrongly) they're going to have a hard time selling the area. Hopefully this project will be able to overcome the reputation that Greenspoint has.

The company I work for just bought out a company that's office was in the Greenspoint area. The stories I heard from the people who had to go over there were not good at all. We moved them into our main office as soon as we could because most of our employees were very uncomfortable with the area. When white collar workers don't feel safe (rightly or wrongly) they're going to have a hard time selling the area. Hopefully this project will be able to overcome the reputation that Greenspoint has.

Greenspoint's chief competitive advantage has always been proximity to IAH and its location at the major highway junction. That hasn't gone away.

...but its vacancy rate isn't as low as other office submarkets, either.

• 6 months later...

Well, I meant the mall in particular. They are supposed to completely redo the mall to make it resemble The Woodlands. They are supposed to have all kinds of resturants around the perifery. Also they will have abunch of water features with a possible riverwalk.

There is a lot on the N. bound side of 45 just inside the beltway that has been cleared now for a couple of weeks. The lot gigantic. You could fit several highrises in it. Does anybody know?

This is directly across 45 from my office - we have been watching the construction for over a year now....

I have heard that Sysco foods is moving in - but I dont have confirmation...

Is it the new Sysco warehouse or is that going in on the opposite side of I45?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they should consider abandoning the "Greenspoint" name wholesale for the entire area. The mall, the business district, everything. People are always going to call it "Gunspoint" even if it became the next River Oaks overnight.

Well, I like the name Greenspoint. I think it is going to be a big marketing job to overcome the stigma, but if they build it, people will come.

I used to think this area was 'so' far out, but now it seems absolutely reasonable distance from downtown. In fact, on a good day, I can get to downtown in about 20-22 minutes.

It has no impact on me personally - I don't go into Greenspoint Mall much, not because I feel "unsafe" there or anything but because I haven't stayed anywhere close to there in a long while and I'm not much of a mall kinda guy anyway. Last time I was in there was maybe 2001 or so.

But I'm thinking more of the collective psyche on that whole area....that shooting at the mall recently didn't help things although that would've happened anywhere that girl worked, be it Greenspoint or the Galleria.

It has no impact on me personally - I don't go into Greenspoint Mall much, not because I feel "unsafe" there or anything but because I haven't stayed anywhere close to there in a long while and I'm not much of a mall kinda guy anyway. Last time I was in there was maybe 2001 or so.

But I'm thinking more of the collective psyche on that whole area....that shooting at the mall recently didn't help things although that would've happened anywhere that girl worked, be it Greenspoint or the Galleria.

Well, there I have to disagree. I doubt it would have happened at the Galleria (inside), but possibly he would have waited to attack her in the parking lot or something.

Archived