Home At 945 Heights Blvd.

Subdude

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely not an architect or even much of a student of building style, but damn, you people can be hard on some building designs. I'm not saying you're wrong, everyone has an opinion, and I'm not saying I love this place. But compared to the crap they build and have built forever in Baton Rouge, Houston has a very diverse style, even for what you call out as McMansions. I'll take a Houston McMansion any day over the crap that all the new neighborhoods in Baton Rouge look like. Garage in the front to the side, stucco around the front door, brick around other areas, fake gas lamps on each side of the door. I can't stand it. I love to see the new, weird, different things going up around Houston. Whether they build 3 or 5 in a row that look similar, I could care less.

I think I got off of my original thought there. Right. So, I have no architectural knowledge and very little capacity for design or style, I just like what I like. And if I ever decide to and am able to build a house, I'd be hesitant to post any pictures or details as it would most assuredly get torn apart with criticism of how it is bad or wrong. People buy/build what they 1) like and 2) can afford. If we could all have our dream homes in our 20s then they wouldn't be called dream homes.

Disappointing is an understatement. What could have been and will now never be ! - lots of design detail "misses" already and I haven't seen the inside. The stone treatment on the turret has to be the cheapest thing Ive seen done on a feature element in quite some time on a comparable home. It looks to be flooring material placed on the vertical surface and gives off no dimension or depth to the surface.

I also believe the quantity of porches is overdone. This house has an abundance of porch areas with columns that aren't centered on doors/windows but just simply placed at an equal spacing with no regard to the views out from the interior. Have you seen the roof covering over the garage door. To say that it is out of scale with the facade is an understatement.

Was this home designed by an architect? or is this simply a building designer modification to a previous home he has built. I sure wish more money was invested in the design and I believe the house could have commanded a higher price.

I'm definitely not an architect or even much of a student of building style, but damn, you people can be hard on some building designs. I'm not saying you're wrong, everyone has an opinion, and I'm not saying I love this place. But compared to the crap they build and have built forever in Baton Rouge, Houston has a very diverse style, even for what you call out as McMansions. I'll take a Houston McMansion any day over the crap that all the new neighborhoods in Baton Rouge look like. Garage in the front to the side, stucco around the front door, brick around other areas, fake gas lamps on each side of the door. I can't stand it. I love to see the new, weird, different things going up around Houston. Whether they build 3 or 5 in a row that look similar, I could care less.

I think I got off of my original thought there. Right. So, I have no architectural knowledge and very little capacity for design or style, I just like what I like. And if I ever decide to and am able to build a house, I'd be hesitant to post any pictures or details as it would most assuredly get torn apart with criticism of how it is bad or wrong. People buy/build what they 1) like and 2) can afford. If we could all have our dream homes in our 20s then they wouldn't be called dream homes.

what you have to remember here is that there was a beautiful, interesting and HISTORIC house standing where this is going up. that makes us much less "warm" to whatever style it's going to have. also, the McVictorians are definitely better than the suburban pink brick McMansions from a design standpoint, but this is also (a term i 1st heard here on HAIF) the "disneyfication" of the Heights. and, sorry, but i walked by there with the hubby and bambino (yes, remember i *am the wife* people) this morning and that stone turret is fugly by anyone's standards.

also, harry james is not building someone's dream house. this house is currently for sale and is being built because he can. it is being built for profit. he buys, he tears down, he builds a barbie dream castle and then he waits until someone who doesn't know any better buys. my inlaws stayed at sara's b&b last week and they were stunned that the house was for sale. they said they couldn't believe someone would just build something like that without a buyer/commision. welcome to the heights, i said.

what you have to remember here is that there was a beautiful, interesting and HISTORIC house standing where this is going up. that makes us much less "warm" to whatever style it's going to have. also, the McVictorians are definitely better than the suburban pink brick McMansions from a design standpoint, but this is also (a term i 1st heard here on HAIF) the "disneyfication" of the Heights. and, sorry, but i walked by there with the hubby and bambino (yes, remember i *am the wife* people) this morning and that stone turret is fugly by anyone's standards.

also, harry james is not building someone's dream house. this house is currently for sale and is being built because he can. it is being built for profit. he buys, he tears down, he builds a barbie dream castle and then he waits until someone who doesn't know any better buys. my inlaws stayed at sara's b&b last week and they were stunned that the house was for sale. they said they couldn't believe someone would just build something like that without a buyer/commision. welcome to the heights, i said.

I agree that tearing down a historic old house to replace it with this one is a horrible thing. I probably posted my sentiment in the wrong thread, it should have gone in that other McMansion thread I guess. I'm all for preservation when there is something worth preserving. I just don't mind at all when an empty lot or a run-down place of no style or historical significance gets dozed for something newer. This is clearly a sad exception. As for its looks, I still love it TONS better than the new builds in LA that I referred to. I haven't driven by and checked it out since the faux stone went on though, might change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I can think of nothing good to say about it. It is large, if that counts as good.

So negative, Red

How about: It respects the frontage (if not the width!!!!) of other homes on Heights Blvd

The stone turret is not painted yellow, pink or purple.

It provides Sara's B&B with shade...from the north.

It's the same price as a Heights bungalow...per square foot...a bungalow in really good condtion...not on a thoroughfare with a bus route..a bungalow loyal to tasteful architecture and finishings..in scale.

It can serve as an outlying control tower for those planes making the final turn into Hobby (or as a missle center if they get too close to the CBD)

It doesn't have French doors all over. Those are American doors, dammit!

Hardiplank is a big improvement over that antique cypress.

heights945_020308_2.jpg

Tyvek...Let's practice safe housing y'all

Harry James found a legal option to wagging it in the middle of the esplanade

It'll compliment the future occupant's huge collection of Thomas Kinkade prints.
:D

So negative, Red

How about: It respects the frontage (if not the width!!!!) of other homes on Heights Blvd

The stone turret is not painted yellow, pink or purple.

It provides Sara's B&B with shade...from the north.

It's the same price as a Heights bungalow...per square foot...a bungalow in really good condtion...not on a thoroughfare with a bus route..a bungalow loyal to tasteful architecture and finishings..in scale.

It can serve as an outlying control tower for those planes making the final turn into Hobby (or as a missle center if they get too close to the CBD)

It doesn't have French doors all over. Those are American doors, dammit!

Hardiplank is a big improvement over that antique cypress.

heights945_020308_2.jpg

Tyvek...Let's practice safe housing y'all

Harry James found a legal option to wagging it in the middle of the esplanade

:D

Yeah, but the turret isn't even round. It's an octagon. Other than being cheaper to construct as an octagon than a circle, is there any other reason that it is not round?

Any faux-Victorian architecture experts out there who care to weigh in? Harry? Harry?

Thomas Kinkade Online Gallery for future homeowner

Edited by RedScare

• 6 months later...

from Marksmu's post in the Craftsman on Steroids thread:

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...931&class=1

$1,277,500

Stately Victorian Mansion with elegant Stone Tower, elaborate Detailed Trim, Slate Potches, Stained Glass and Period Fixtures & Finishes throughout. Perfect for either a Home or Business. Builder has FULL SET OF APPROVED PLANS & PERMITS FOR COMMERCIAL USE CONVERSION. All Electrical, Plumbing and A/C is COMMERCIAL RATED. Also APPROVED FOR 17 ON-SITE PARKING SPACES + street parking (some additional upgrades needed to convert). Also includes a 3-Car Garage Apartment w/ Full Kitchen & Bath.

Yeah, but the turret isn't even round. It's an octagon. Other than being cheaper to construct as an octagon than a circle, is there any other reason that it is not round?

Any faux-Victorian architecture experts out there who care to weigh in? Harry? Harry?.....

Even a square turret can look good. But I doubt the house in question will be "finished" in the correct Addams Family style.

Approved for 17 onsite parking spaces? OMG.

Well.. if it were for a business, that wouldn't be out of the ordinary..

Or plenty of space for some exotic Italian marques would be fine as well.. :)

• 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to 945 Heights Blvd. Demolition
  • The title was changed to Home At 945 Heights Blvd.