811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

MainPlace is approximately 50% taller, so one presumes they will need a significantly deeper and more substantial foundation. Plus, I would imagine that having the Stowers Building to work around (and protect) does not exactly speed up the process.

Not only is it taller, but its structure will be concrete rather than steel. Upon completion, it'll be the heaviest building in Houston.

Not only is it taller, but its structure will be concrete rather than steel. Upon completion, it'll be the heaviest building in Houston.

Not only will it be taller and heavier. Since this place will actually have access to tunnel connection, I would imagine they have to configure and prep the land even more so, that DGT.

The majority of our buildings downtown, as in much the south, have concrete or composite structures.

Chase tower has a composite concrete structural system.

Why would this tower be any heavier then the dozen or so of its taller concrete bruthas ?

The majority of our buildings downtown, as in much the south, have concrete or composite structures.

Chase tower has a composite concrete structural system.

Why would this tower be any heavier then the dozen or so of its taller concrete bruthas ?

I get questions like these and wish I were a structural engineer. I distinctly remember that the guy from Hines mentioned something special about the concrete...but I can't place the exact verbage...whether it was "pre-cast," "poured," or something else. In any case, that was their conclusion, that it would be heavier than anything built previously.

I get questions like these and wish I were a structural engineer. I distinctly remember that the guy from Hines mentioned something special about the concrete...but I can't place the exact verbage...whether it was "pre-cast," "poured," or something else. In any case, that was their conclusion, that it would be heavier than anything built previously.

Is there anyone reading this who has an engineering background or can elaborate (here or in a more general thread) about building systems and thier characteristics (i.e. poured-in-place concrete vs. pre-cast vs. tilt vs. composite, etc.) ???

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a structural engineer, but i do have some background in geotechnical engineering (subset of Civil Engineering).

The deep excavations and large basements are build to offset the immense weight of a building.

The science behind this is that the lower level of earthen material has existed for a much longer time with either weight of just the existing soil above or other buildings. Engineers will design a large basement to remove as much existing soil, since the weight is now gone, the building's weight can replace it.

This will reduce the amount of concrete needed to form a foundation and/or footings.

The use of basements in large buildings is not just efficient land use, it's for engineering reasons too. Just look at how large the excavation for the World Trade Towers were in NYC.

FYI - the MainPlace website is up and running today. The video section will be complete shortly, as we're trying to find a good mix of quality and download speed for the building videos.

www.mainplacehouston.com

(and no, the building has not gotten any taller. Still 46 stories with a 2 story parapet wall on top)

I just had a chukle

Sorry, i shuld've explained myself more clearly..

I meant like if it's going up(construction-wise)

like if went

From this21_09_2---Construction-Equipment_web.jpg To this:005.jpg

Based on that, it'll probably be just a restaurant.

My thinking as well. It'll probably be a Skyline Cafe like the one in Hines' 717 Texas Building. They sell food, but stock some convenient store type things too. It'll probably close at 4:00 and not be open on weekends.

I just remembered that this building will connect to the tunnel system. Is it going to hook up with Macy's?

Does anyone know anything about the bunkers under Macy's? I remember reading something a long time ago. Apparently, there are several floor levels beneath the store and can accomodate (say) 2000 or so people. This was, of course, built during the nuclear age. It would be so cool if they had tours and such.

edit

Sorry, Macy's is clear down the street. I wonder where they will beconnecting to. I'll have to go look at a tunnel map to see what's closest.

Edited by rsb320