Cocktails, Conversation, & Noshing

I haven't been out a lot recently and I am usually a beer guy. We have friends coming into town this weekend that are more of a cocktail couple.

Where would be a good place to go for cocktails tonight, in town, that would NOT be super trendy (i.e. ultra crowded) , a 30+ crowd, and the volume low enough that you can still have a conversation?

Having a kitchen to do some noshing would be a plus but not a necessity.

A place that doesn't frown on khaki shorts and sandals is also a plus B)

Maybe i am asking for too much. :lol:

How is Davenport in Shepherd Square, these days?

I haven't been out a lot recently and I am usually a beer guy. We have friends coming into town this weekend that are more of a cocktail couple.

Where would be a good place to go for cocktails tonight, in town, that would NOT be super trendy (i.e. ultra crowded) , a 30+ crowd, and the volume low enough that you can still have a conversation?

Busy and loud. They have a DJ so it's gonna be crowded. I like that place though. Kelvin Arms in the Village is pretty cool. The bar upstairs at Benjy's is cool too but probably not in shorts. El Pueblito on Richmond has a good patio. I like Zimm's on Montrose also. You can be casual or dressy there. Just thinking of places in the vacinity you mentioned.

try the market square three...warrens, mkt square bar and grill and char bar.
warren's!

yeah...i thought about warrens. i like warren's, i was just looking for other ideas.

never been in char bar, though. maybe tonight might be a good night to try it.

Busy and loud. They have a DJ so it's gonna be crowded. I like that place though. Kelvin Arms in the Village is pretty cool. The bar upstairs at Benjy's is cool too but probably not in shorts. El Pueblito on Richmond has a good patio. I like Zimm's on Montrose also. You can be casual or dressy there. Just thinking of places in the vacinity you mentioned.

Ha! actually we have been to el pueblito AND benjy's with this couple before :ph34r:

but i never thought of el pueblito as a cocktail place but i do like their food.

Never been to Zimms, but from what i have heard, that might be an option.

try the market square three...warrens, mkt square bar and grill and char bar.

I love Char Bar. Mike is cool. Good music and strong drinks. Crazy mix of people too!

yeah...i thought about warrens. i like warren's, i was just looking for other ideas.

never been in char bar, though.

Ha! actually we have been to el pueblito AND benjy's with this couple before :ph34r:

but i never thought of el pueblito as a cocktail place but i do like their food.

Never been to Zimms, but from what i have heard, that might be an option.

The problem with Char Bar is you would have to sit upstairs to sit with a group because there'sonly like 2 tables downstairs and upstairs isn't as fun. Go to Zimm's. They let you order food from Thai Stix next door. They have pretty good food.

6th Street Grill at the corner of White Oak and Studewood is not overly trendy. Good menu. Not too loud. If the weather cooperates, there is a decent patio area.

Cahills on Durham can be interesting. Kobains on Yale at Washington orders from the menu of their restaurant behind them, IIRC. Haven't been on a weekend, so don't know how crowded. Big covered patio.

Market Street Grill has decent food and is not overly crowded.

The problem with Char Bar is you would have to sit upstairs to sit with a group because there'sonly like 2 tables downstairs and upstairs isn't as fun.

since they are going to talk to each other, upstairs would be fine. if they are looking for a table dance they'd go to zaazaa

Motrose/Kirby: Try Absenthe in the Motrose area if you want something different - they have pretty good food there too. The Harp, L Z Pub, Mugsy's

Midtown: Big Top, Dog House, Front Porch, Leon's Lounge (but the shuffleboard table is now gone damnit),

Of course you can't go wrong with Market Square, Warren's, and Charbar. You could also venture out to La Carafe, Brewery Tap, or Shay McElroy's.

Maybe Bossa downtown...? It is also on the rail line so you can kill two birds with one stone.

Funny you mention it...a friend of ours was in town last weekend. I used to get dragged to the Davenport with her and my wife every once in a while. It wasn't my kind of place (I tend more to the icehouse crowd), but they liked the "atmosphere" there.

Anyways, to make a long story short, while the friend was in town, she drove by Davenport to stop in for a drink. She promptly turned around when she saw the crowd lined up at the VELVET ROPE outside the door!!! :o

Does that help answer your question?

Since your a beer drinker go to Kelvin Arms (nice get together spot), and then slip over to my favorite beer joint in town, The Gingerman.

Gary, i was just thinking about Gingerman's the other day. Vonnie still over there ?

"Marfreless" behind the River Oaks theater was a good place to take a date and baffle them with BS while sipping on a decent drink. This was back in the early 90's. I was surprised to see it still going strong only now its like Grand Central Station and tons of people that really do resemble the cast from "Friends". So if you feel like partying with Chandler & his entourage , this is the place for you. Salute!

What about a wine bar (they all serve beer too)?

The Corkscrew is upscale, yet casual, and the staff is very friendly... You could be dressed up or in shorts. A few weeks ago they were adding a kitchen, not sure if it's done yet or not. They do have a plethora of delivery menus from local restaurants.

Also, Boom Boom Room in the heights... YUMMY food, cool Sinatra-like atmosphere.

And my new favorite restaurant/wine bar, Oporto on Richmond - tapas, cheese plates, paninis, etc. (Mostly) unobtrusive live music on weekend nights. There will be a few people dressed up for a night on the town, but a lot of people are not (I think they get a lot of spillover from neighboring Collina's).

If you insist on a full bar...

Chaise Lounge on Washington.

Kobain's has already been mentionend, but in my experience, on the weekends, as it gets later, the crowd gets younger... not "30s" as you requested. It's a great bar, though...

The Flat on Commonwealth - loungey, diverse crowd.

Hope that helps. :)

GNU, although your party has already happened, it is good to know of other places for future last minute groupings.

The Museum District or rather places along south Montrose Blvd are lined with cozy places to make a toast or two. There is one place that has been there for decades and I just cant remember the name. It looks British Pub like on the outside, consists of two levels and features Live bands. You can sit ring side as the combos play. You dont feel as you are in Houston but more like in England somewhere. If thats your cup of tea. :P

Of course theres always Scott Gertner's Skybar. Fantastic views of our beautiful metropolis. Be happy!

What about a wine bar (they all serve beer too)?

The Corkscrew is upscale, yet casual, and the staff is very friendly... You could be dressed up or in shorts. A few weeks ago they were adding a kitchen, not sure if it's done yet or not. They do have a plethora of delivery menus from local restaurants.

Also, Boom Boom Room in the heights... YUMMY food, cool Sinatra-like atmosphere.

And my new favorite restaurant/wine bar, Oporto on Richmond - tapas, cheese plates, paninis, etc. (Mostly) unobtrusive live music on weekend nights. There will be a few people dressed up for a night on the town, but a lot of people are not (I think they get a lot of spillover from neighboring Collina's).

If you insist on a full bar...

Chaise Lounge on Washington.

Kobain's has already been mentionend, but in my experience, on the weekends, as it gets later, the crowd gets younger... not "30s" as you requested. It's a great bar, though...

The Flat on Commonwealth - loungey, diverse crowd.

Hope that helps. :)

I second the wine bar idea - 13 celsius is probably my fave, but i checked out sonoma recently and liked it too. i do like the tasting room on kirby, but not the one in midtown. absinthe is definitely a great place. the lounge next to ibiza is a cool setting, but a little dressier - but it has a full bar unlike the rest of the wine bars.

• 10 months later...

Has anyone heard that Absinthe (the drink) is making a comeback? I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about drinking it in NOLA at some bar. They said it was really nasty tasting (bitter - I guess that's why they used sugar) and that the hallucinatory f/x of legend were really due to the proof (150) versus some LSD effect of the liquor itself.

Archived