Cocktails, Conversation, & Noshing

Has anyone heard that Absinthe (the drink) is making a comeback? I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about drinking it in NOLA at some bar. They said it was really nasty tasting (bitter - I guess that's why they used sugar) and that the hallucinatory f/x of legend were really due to the proof (150) versus some LSD effect of the liquor itself.

Supposedly, yes. But... you can only get the fake stuff, legally. There is Absinthe (the real stuff)... and then there is Absente, the faux liqueur they sell to you for $15/drink at the bar on Richmond. Not impressed.

No, supposedly this was the real stuff but yeah, he mentioned it was like $20 a glass. And that it was nasty tasting.

younger bargoers are finding some classic drinks again shunning their more modern incarnations.

I don't drink nearly as much as I used to (which wasn't even a lot), but I do prefer classic drinks too. Scotch and water. Gin martinis.

Supposedly, yes. But... you can only get the fake stuff, legally. There is Absinthe (the real stuff)... and then there is Absente, the faux liqueur they sell to you for $15/drink at the bar on Richmond. Not impressed.

That changed last year. Read this. Real absinthe is now being imported into the US.

Well, now we can all pop in our Moulin Rouge DVDs turn on our blacklights and kickback with a nice cool shot of the green stuff. I will make sure to drop a sugarcube in mine.

Did I just type that outloud ?!

Has anyone heard that Absinthe (the drink) is making a comeback? I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about drinking it in NOLA at some bar. They said it was really nasty tasting (bitter - I guess that's why they used sugar) and that the hallucinatory f/x of legend were really due to the proof (150) versus some LSD effect of the liquor itself.

It's illegal in Texas, but I think you can buy it over the web. It is some nast sh!@. It's something about the wormweed that makes you hallucinate.

It's illegal in Texas, but I think you can buy it over the web. It is some nast sh!@. It's something about the wormweed that makes you hallucinate.

That's a disproven myth. The level of thujone in absinthe is very small. You can get more thujone (the possibly hallucinogenic component of wormwood) in sage oil (which is legal in the US). And absinthe is legal in Texas.

Well, now we can all pop in our Moulin Rouge DVDs turn on our blacklights and kickback with a nice cool shot of the green stuff. I will make sure to drop a sugarcube in mine.

Did I just type that outloud ?!

Don't you also have to light a flame over it ... yeah! Let the green fairies flutter on in.

That's a disproven myth. The level of thujone in absinthe is very small. You can get more thujone (the possibly hallucinogenic component of wormwood) in sage oil (which is legal in the US). And absinthe is legal in Texas.

Yeah, this Discovery News feed podcast was saying the same thing about thujone ... that it is NOT the compound that makes you hallucinate. Actually, they say it never did, but if there was anything in the stuff it was just the alcohol content.

From wiki - "By 1915 absinthe had been banned in the United States and in most European countries except the United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, and the Austro-Hungarian Empire."

When was it legalized again?

This has been a topic of conversation lately at home, and Cap'n Crunch dug up some interesting stuff as well: Absinthe is now legal; the old myth has long since been disproved by chemists. I'll be in NOLA in a couple of weeks will enjoy a few sazeracs with the real stuff. From what I've read a number of bars there are going back to using the real deal instead of herbsaint, and a liquor store there imports again.

This has been a topic of conversation lately at home, and Cap'n Crunch dug up some interesting stuff as well: Absinthe is now legal; the old myth has long since been disproved by chemists. I'll be in NOLA in a couple of weeks will enjoy a few sazeracs with the real stuff. From what I've read a number of bars there are going back to using the real deal instead of herbsaint, and a liquor store there imports again.

Please let us know of any untowards (or towards) delirious f/x it has on you. I'd like to know what you think.

From wiki - "By 1915 absinthe had been banned in the United States and in most European countries except the United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, and the Austro-Hungarian Empire."

When was it legalized again?

Keep reading the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe#United_States

"In 2007, TTB relaxed the US absinthe ban, and approved several brands for sale.[63] These brands must pass TTB testing, which is performed by the Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry method[64] and TTB considers a product to be thujone-free if the FDA

Keep reading the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe#United_States

"In 2007, TTB relaxed the US absinthe ban, and approved several brands for sale.[63] These brands must pass TTB testing, which is performed by the Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry method[64] and TTB considers a product to be thujone-free if the FDA's test measures less than 10ppm (equal to 10mg/kg) thujone.[65] A US distillery also began producing and selling absinthe, the first US company to do so since 1912. [66]"

Okay, I'm still not going to run out and buy any. That stuff is wicked nasty!

Archived