Museum Tower - 42 Stories

Trae

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes I did misunderstand. But yes. It is nothing more than bland, boxy, safe, architecture.

You're goin to make that judgement based on one picture? Keep in mind there's I.M. Pei's Meyerson Symphony Center at bottom-right. Your Federal Reserve Bank building, built in 1992, is ahead of its time. It appears to have been designed in part by a Houston firm, Sikes Jennings Kelly & Brewer. I certainly wouldn't describe the Crescent as "bland, boxy, safe."

You're goin to make that judgement based on one picture?

I would.

Keep in mind there's I.M. Pei's Meyerson Symphony Center at bottom-right.

Boring. Looks like something that might've been programmed into the original Sim City.

Your Federal Reserve Bank building, built in 1992, is ahead of its time. It appears to have been designed in part by a Houston firm, Sikes Jennings Kelly & Brewer.

That's nice and all, but we don't live in the year 1992.

I certainly wouldn't describe the Crescent as "bland, boxy, safe."

The Crescent is horribly boring and derivative. It's even more boring than Houston's One Park Place, which is saying a lot.

Boring. Looks like something that might've been programmed into the original Sim City.

Maybe not his best work, but the asymmetry is hardly boring. Besides, Sim City was awesome.

That's nice and all, but we don't live in the year 1992.

It's still ahead of its time, eighteen years later.

The Crescent is horribly boring and derivative. It's even more boring than Houston's One Park Place, which is saying a lot.

Wha?? The Beaux arts landmark gives the block a nice Paris feel. Definitely livelier than One Park.

Maybe not his best work, but the asymmetry is hardly boring. Besides, Sim City was awesome.

Sim City was an awesome game (in its day), but makes a crap-tastic reality.

It's still ahead of its time, eighteen years later.

Okay. I'll bite... What time is it?

Wha?? The Beaux arts landmark gives the block a nice Paris feel.

What was that about Paris? :lol:

57087122_e5d6af03b4.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

According to the user, Tucy, on a Dallas development forum, MT has sold a total of 6 units since opening. The information was collected from DCAD.

Supposedly the units are going for significantly less than the original prices. I feel bad for the Police and Fire pension fund who will clearly be losing money on this investment.

Can taxes over time make them their money back?

Apparently, according to a couple of friends that work for the Nasher and DMA, this building's reflective glass has become quite a nuisance. The Nasher has begun moving a few site specific sculptures because, apparently, the glare coming from the building is so intense, it is starting to damage the art and kill some of the plants. I haven't been in some time, but, from what I hear, the sculpture garden at the Nasher has become quite unbearable during certain times of the day. If this is indeed the case, it's sad because the Nasher's garden is one of my favorite things in Dallas, maybe Texas.

not quite sure i understand the houston-homers who find this tower "so ugly"... it's a relatively safe yet sleek looking glass tower. in fact had this tower gone up in houston i'd be willing to bet it would receive applause from the same folks. i know i would appreciate it.

not to take away from the fact that the glass they used is an absolute unmitigated disaster, of course.

I think the tower is really cool looking, and a great addition to the Dallas skyline. It is a shame about the glare, and that they've only sold +\- 6 units thus far, but I really like the pattern of the glass.

Did the museum ever think (being so close to Downtown), that there would never be any skyscrapers so close? I'm not defending the tower by any means, but I'm just curious.

I read "D" Magazine and it stated that the museum was always concerned about what would be built. I don't think that the big issue is that there IS a building there...it's more about the SHAPE of the building there. With the gently curved surface the sun's reflection is not just off of one of the surface of the building for a short time. Since each glass windowpane is at a slightly different horizontal angle then basically when the sun's reflection from one window moves through the gallery, there is another one right behind it. Every sunny day...all year long. I can see the problem. But...I do happen to think the design is elegant and beautiful.

I'm going to look for a pic.

The Turrell installation at the Nasher is perminately closed because of this tower which is a shame. They built right up into the viewing area, so it is not even glare related. Also, I highly recommend the light inside exhibit at MFAH right now!

Archived