Museum Tower - 42 Stories

Trae

Guest Jackwood

^ Even more important, the tower used glass that is much more reflective than normal (the pension fund wanted it to be flashy).

In the movie The Towering Inferno, the builders wanted their building to be flashy too. And it was for awhile - until it burned up!

In a strange, abstract yet somehow appropriate and ironic way this "towering inferno" is burning up the money of the Dallas Police and Fire Pension fund.

The look of the tower is kind of cool (it even slopes in reminiscent way like the 'Glass Tower' in the Towering Inferno , but it comes with a huge cost. As a proud Houstonian and someone delighted to see all the new towers popping up all over Houston, I don't envy Museum Tower at all. It just doesn't seem worth it. Not to mention the fact that the spectacular failure of selling the units will probably significantly hurt downtown Dallas' chances of ever getting another flashy high rise residential tower for a very long time. Very glad they didn't build this tower near Discovery Green.

Although One Park Place isn't as flashy, at least it won't discourage other builders from building near it.

http://www.nashersculpturecenter.org/getdoc/5c15485b-6b0f-45b5-a934-91ccf0e8bbca/DMagazine-May-2012-Article-opt

article-2165423-13CFDD4D000005DC-953_634

Flashy? I'll say!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2165423/Museum-tower-Mirrored-Dallas-skyscraper-drawing-complaints-city-dwellers-blinded-reflection.html

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree what a big mistake for downtown Dallas.  It also has a high occupancy rate, their buildings are empty.  Who would want to pay a million dollars to live at the Museum Tower and commute to work.  The Texas Medical Center is larger than downtown Dallas.  That is why Midtown for residences is growing.  I did read an article to replace the windows would cost millions of dollars, and who should pay for that?

Haha that is literally the most "Dallas" story one could imagine. Pension fund for public services dabbles in speculative ultra-luxurious residential CRE and opts to install the most reflective glass possible to increase its "flash" yet clearly ignores proper due diligence.

I mean seriously.

Keep it on topic.  As noted in the header for this forum section:

Respectful discussions only. My-city-is-better-than-your-city flame wars are not permitted on HAIF. "He started it" is not a valid excuse. Both parties in a flame war may have their accounts suspended or terminated. Just walk away. Flames will be deleted without notice. 

I've already deleted five posts from this thread.  If I have to remove any more, it will be closed.

You only make Houston and Houstonians look weak, insecure, and classless by engaging in debates over which city is better.  If you truly believe Houston is the better city, then act like a grown up and lead by example. 

I said it during construction and I'll say it again; it's a beautiful condo tower. Condo towers are hard to make attractive but this one pulls it off. The slight curve and the glass are stunning. I also like the height for that location.

That said, it's too bad it shoots fire and blinds mere mortals.

• 9 months later...

Archived