Ivy District: Mixed-Use Development In Pearland

clearman

• 1 month later...

This project was never realistic. The area has no capacity for something like this. They are already closing shops and restaurants in the town center, no way another entire retail/food district was going to hold up. Let go of your 2007 economy pipe dreams people, Pearland is and always will be that muddy, tallow-filled area south of Houston.

This project was never realistic. The area has no capacity for something like this. They are already closing shops and restaurants in the town center, no way another entire retail/food district was going to hold up. Let go of your 2007 economy pipe dreams people, Pearland is and always will be that muddy, tallow-filled area south of Houston.

I think Pearland could have supported this development, but it was started at the wrong time (economic downturn/depression). I will say that I ate at a Seafood restaurant in the Town Center there and it was HORRIBLE. I will never go again. If Pearland doesn't 'step up' I will not be back for anything else.

I can't remember the name, but it is a few stores down from Barnes and Noble.

Yuck!

Ah c'mon, Pearland isn't that bad. Look at how much it has grown over the past ten years.

Ah c'mon, Pearland isn't that bad. Look at how much it has grown over the past ten years.

You mean the chinese tallow trees? Or master bland communities**?

Ok fine, it's not THAT bad. But I will be forever bitter that my office is down there and I have to drive from the city to the goat farm every day.

**I take complete credit for this term if no one else has thought of it, because I can't remember ever hearing it from anyone else

Ok fine, it's not THAT bad. But I will be forever bitter that my office is down there and I have to drive from the city to the goat farm every day.

**I take complete credit for this term if no one else has thought of it, because I can't remember ever hearing it from anyone else

Great 20th, the kudo's are for you on this terminology! Very scientific, if I do say so myself. But, it set me to wonder the many possibilities your innovative verbage could spawn....

Galveston: Master Canned Community

East Texas: Master Clanned Community

Freeport: Master Sand Community

Lakewood Church: Master's Land Community

Anyone else....??

• Like 1

I drove by this site last few days, and noted they have laid the large pipes underground, as well as tilled up an area around the lake / bayou. If they are going into foreclosure, then why are they developing?

Good question about the presidential heads. I've gotten used to them being there, and it would be a shame to see them go away. I really loved the concept of this whole development, so hopefully someone steps up with the cash to bail them out, or buy them out with a better plan.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

So what happens now to the giant presidential heads? It would be a shame for a giant head to go to waste.

Did they finish them all? I think placing them in random public spaces all over the city would be fun, and make it some kind of way to connect different areas together with a president's head tour map. At least one should become an art car also.

Apparently I signed up for email updates. Ironically, this is the only one I ever received (today):

To all:

If you would like to help SAVE The Presidential Park & Gardens in Pearland or voice your opinion go to:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Presidential-Park-Gardens-at-WaterLights-DistrictTM/108327915853140

We will continue to give the latest updates on this Facebook page.

Thank you in advance for your input and support.

Best regards,

DEVELOPER OF:

The Presidential Park & Gardens

WaterLights District

14326 Highway 288 South

Pearland, Texas 77047

waterlightspearland@gmail.com

This message was sent by: WaterLights Pearland, 14326 Highway 288 South, Houston, TX 77047

Email Marketing by iContact: http://freetrial.icontact.com

I think Pearland could have supported this development, but it was started at the wrong time (economic downturn/depression). I will say that I ate at a Seafood restaurant in the Town Center there and it was HORRIBLE. I will never go again. If Pearland doesn't 'step up' I will not be back for anything else.

I can't remember the name, but it is a few stores down from Barnes and Noble.

Yuck!

You ate at Fish City Cafe. I agree with you and 20thStDad about Pearland Town Center. It's bush league at best. It looks like they weren't trying. It's full of weak clothing and specialty stores which will fail in a few months or years. And the major retailers like Barnes & Noble, Macy's, and Dillards have small, poorly stocked, cheap-looking stores.

You have a reverse commute and you're complaining? At one time Pearland had a certain rural charm, as recently as five years ago, and pockets of it still exist. Now it's just becoming suburbia. Still, if you work in Pearland and live in Houston, it seems like you could move to Pearland and come out ahead financially and in quality of life. Just sayin.'

Pearland isn't THAT good, either. The Waterlights District was decades ahead of this submarket's ability to support it.

Another example of where I agree with TheNiche. I remember thinking at the time "WTF were they thinking with that?" Especially since there's already something similar in The Woodlands.

Did they finish them all? I think placing them in random public spaces all over the city would be fun, and make it some kind of way to connect different areas together with a president's head tour map. At least one should become an art car also.

I'm pretty sure that they are all finished and the other ones are/were stored at David Adickes' studio on Sawyer Street. You can see them on Bing's birds eyes or Google Earth. Putting them around the city sounds interesting but they need to be relatively safe from vandals. Both Bushes and Obama, for example, seem like obvious targets for graffiti and the presidents with eyeglasses look like likely candidates for theft or tampering. Art car? Probably more like a heavy truck. Not gonna happen unless Adickes wants it to, and he seems to want to keep the set together in some way or another.

You have a reverse commute and you're complaining? At one time Pearland had a certain rural charm, as recently as five years ago, and pockets of it still exist. Now it's just becoming suburbia. Still, if you work in Pearland and live in Houston, it seems like you could move to Pearland and come out ahead financially and in quality of life. Just sayin.'

I don't see how moving to Pearland would improve my quality of life in any way. I do think I would like Pearland more 20 years ago than now. My commute is easy, not much traffic, just long. I definitely live where I want though.

I really like the idea of putting the heads all around the city. Maybe they could be kept centralized within the loop or something, and that could easily fit the desires in that other thread looking for a marketable Houston landmark. It certainly would be unique.

I don't see how moving to Pearland would improve my quality of life in any way. I do think I would like Pearland more 20 years ago than now. My commute is easy, not much traffic, just long. I definitely live where I want though.

Fair enough, if you like where you live now. You probably would have liked the Pearland of 20 years ago more than now. I moved out there 20 years ago this fall and I liked it MUCH better then.

But, you were the one who said "But I will be forever bitter that my office is down there and I have to drive from the city to the goat farm every day." Just trying to save you a little bitterness, that's all. ;)

Fair enough, if you like where you live now. You probably would have liked the Pearland of 20 years ago more than now. I moved out there 20 years ago this fall and I liked it MUCH better then.

But, you were the one who said "But I will be forever bitter that my office is down there and I have to drive from the city to the goat farm every day." Just trying to save you a little bitterness, that's all. ;)

Yes I was a bit hard on the goat farm, I really don't mind it. It's the suburban pieces that annoy me.

I'm actually pretty disapoointed that this development is not going through. And to think what's going in that empty space instead, A new church??

No disrespect to religion but Houston's already too bible ridden. It's not the intriguing awe-inspiring development this Waterlights district would have been.

And to the people who thought Pearland of 20 years ago was better than today? Care to share your reasons? Pearland still seems to be an exciting new area off 288.

Edited by C2H

I'm actually pretty disapoointed that this development is not going through. And to think what's going in that empty space instead, A new church??

No disrespect to religion but Houston's already too bible ridden. It's not the intriguing awe-inspiring development this Waterlights district would have been.

And to the people who thought Pearland of 20 years ago was better than today? Care to share your reasons? Pearland still seems to be an exciting new area off 288.

Yes, I'm very disappointed as well. Had high hopes for the idea, and the design, but...

I'm going to love the fight, when Rev. Rick finds out there's another mega church coming to Pearland! He's not going to like that! I bet he politically pulls strings to block that from happening... it WILL be interesting!!!

Who reported that a church was going in?

Lack of master bland communities, chain retail, and traffic. I prefer an actual small town any day over a 'burb.

Lack of master bland communities, chain retail, and traffic. I prefer an actual small town any day over a 'burb.

Pretty much what he said. The traffic, everywhere, is three times worse. 518 used to be a true rural highway with horses and cattle on each side and a 50+ mph speed limit. Now it's lined with shoddy half-vacant strip centers and storage places. Once you get to 288/518 it's all national retailers, often with half-hearted inventory. (Half Price Books is a notable exception.) 288 used to be a great commute, now it is to be avoided during any daylight hours, pretty much. There is just such...lack of originality in so much of the business planning. Does Pearland really need another undistinguished little Mexican restaurant? Another storage place? Another fast food place? Three Super Wal-Mart's, a Super Target, two CVS's, SIX Walgreens, three Krogers, five Sonics, two Home Depots, a Lowe's, two IHOP's, three Burger Kings, three Pizza Hut Delivery's, two stand-alone Starbucks and who knows how many Starbucks in grocery stores? I can think of at least four.

I don't mind the "master bland communities." They are safe and attractive and the value for price equation is one of the best, if not the best in the whole area. My house is nearly paid off, my daughter has had the benefit of good if not exciting or innovative schools, and there are still a few small-town amenities. The library is first rate, there are some great independent stores like O'Day's and Pearland Lumber, there's a cheap movie theatre a mile from my house and two or three locally recognized restaurants about the same distance. (Central Texas BBQ, Santa Barbara Italian, and Killen's)

I think i have to disagree with the last 2 posters. Why would we want Pearland to remain the same from 20 years ago? The Houston metro area is changing from the backwoods, backwater- hick area to a thriving area with affluent suburbs. It's called progress folks! I happen to like that area of Pearland and what its becoming. It's a very interesting part to the Houston metro area. So what, Pearland doesn't look like Angleton anymore. I consider that a good thing!

Well, scarface, you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. I still think Pearland is the best of the suburbs, and I'm glad I live there. I just don't find hardcore suburban retail development very pleasant or interesting, and one of the reasons I moved there when I did was that there wasn't much of that, and if I needed to go to a big national chain, Almeda and Baybrook were close enough. I would LOVE to live in Angleton if I could make the commute work. I grew up in Lake Jackson.

Duh... C2H! Did you read the post? Lol!

Rev. Rick will have the final say as to what goes in there.

I think it was TimnWendy that reported the email from the developer that said they were letting the church borrow their signs, but I don't see anything reported that a church is actually being built there. Is there a church close by?