The return of Dunkin' Donuts

They changed the one on Westheimer to Juggles Donuts. I dont know if its still there or not. It was horrible too.

They were called Jumbles Donut Factory. Terrible name. Losing the Krisby Kreme brand was bad enough, but they never gave themselves a chance with that awful choice for a name. Jumbles, Juggles, whatever!

I have been a doughnut fan since way back. Cant tell from looking at me though! lol I remember Mister Doughnut in Florida before Dunkin Doughnuts bought them out.

Coming from a conosuer (ha) it best depends on what type of doughnut you like. Raised, filled, frosted, ect... all have different flavors and textures as well as how long they have been sitting.

I prefer cake doughnuts and Dunkins (1960) arent that great. Krispy Kreams are weak. Shipleys are good. Christies (Montrose?) have been the best I have tasted but you got to get them fresh. Dunkin is 24hrs which is a big plus. Most doughnut shops have weird hours in Houston. Depends on what part of town I am in and what time it is.

If the light isn't on....pass KK...I used to eat at KK in Baton Rouge on Plank Road back in the 90s and it was great until I began missing the light..when I moved back to Houston and KK reappeared, nothing changed..no light = no HBCU....reminds me of a storebought donut you find at Wal-Mart or Randall's...etc.

Shipley's on Ella and 1-10 & Uvalde are the best spots in town hands down..they are consistent in cooking donuts so they're warm on a slow day and piping hot when business is booming

Can't speak to the DD donuts, but Krispy Kreme were icon8.gif. Slathered in grease.

I never could understand the hoola about KK either? We on occasion would get some from the Main st location and once biting into a glazed it seemed uncooked or almost raw, funky! When no one was looking I quickly spat it out into the trash can. :wacko: Either that or get ill.

When they closed it I pretended to be dismayed & saddened like coworkers that later confessed thier disdane for KK in private.

and I can't beleive that Dunkin Donuts is still on Wayside by Gus Wortham Golf Course! The girls used to wear those cool 70's outfits in its heyday. They always gave us free donuts and we gave them free Taco Bell stuff since we were next door. We took care of each other.

I never could understand the hoola about KK either? We on occasion would get some from the Main st location and once biting into a glazed it seemed uncooked or almost raw, funky! When no one was looking I quickly spat it out into the trash can. :wacko: Either that or get ill.

Obviously the entire Houston metro area didn't understand the hoopla over Krispy Kremes, either. They should have known we have more discerning tastes here before they tried to dump their trash on us! :P

As a native Houstonian who grew up on Shipley's (N. Main store!) -

re Shipley's v. KK - I decided it just depends. In my book, nothing beats a hot, or at least warm, Shipley's donut - just melts in your mouth. However, cold they're not that great, sugar flakes everywhere, but still better than grocery store. However, KK was a pretty good cold donut, as their icing would stay put better and they stayed tender. So that's how it broke down for me.

I have been a doughnut fan since way back. Cant tell from looking at me though! lol I remember Mister Doughnut in Florida before Dunkin Doughnuts bought them out.

I remember Mister Donut from college. Great middle-of-the-night drunk food when you can't find a truck stop. This was in Pennsylvania. The only other place I've seen them is Tokyo. :wacko:

The KK downtown Main st had to churn out so many at a time they had a hard time trying to keep up the office demand nearby. This I think contributed to the uncooked taste. I didnt mean all KK's were like that one.

IMO Shipleys beat em by a mile though and I really dont even care for sweets to tell you the truth. No hurt feelings! :D Peace on earth good will towards...

• 2 weeks later...
I have always liked Shipley's glazed the best. I never liked Krispy Kreme (too sweet) but I launched their Houston market! I always hated those meetings, starving with a pile of sugar staring at me.

EXACTLY!! Krispy Kreme is too sweet, and the texture of their doughnuts are odd to me.

you're even more right on shipley's plain glazed being the best...but don't forget to add the glass of chocolate milk B)

I have always liked Shipley's glazed the best. I never liked Krispy Kreme (too sweet) but I launched their Houston market! I always hated those meetings, starving with a pile of sugar staring at me.

Here! Everyone reach into the screen and take one. Don't worry there is enough for everyone. :D

donuts.jpg

I too love Shipleys donuts. Plain glazed are the best IMO. But.. I do still love the Dunkin Donut with the little dunkin handle and their coffee is pretty darn good.

• 5 months later...
I too love Shipleys donuts. Plain glazed are the best IMO. But.. I do still love the Dunkin Donut with the little dunkin handle and their coffee is pretty darn good.

I only like their (Shipley's) lemon-filled. The rest of their donuts taste like they are cooked in bacon grease. And their kolaches are a joke.

Y'all are nuts. Shipley's is fantastic. That's beef tallow, a classic donut frying medium. That "aftertaste" is cowy goodness!

Krispy Kreme might taste OK, but they have that awful gloopy thick glaze covering everything, even the chocolate glazed have that crap under the chocolate.

Dunkin Donuts are OK. Winchell's are OK. But Shipley's are what donuts should taste like.

I miss the Shipley's cafe on West Gray. :(

• 8 months later...

Archived