The return of Dunkin' Donuts

It's come up a couple of times here on HAIF -- there is only one Dunkin' Donuts in Houston. Apparently there used to be many, but they went the way of the dodo years ago.

Now there's hope for those of you searching for the ultimate Joe Lunch Pail breakfast. The Dallas Morning News reports that DD is opening 125 new stores in Big D. There are currently three there. Could Houston be far behind?

It's come up a couple of times here on HAIF -- there is only one Dunkin' Donuts in Houston. Apparently there used to be many, but they went the way of the dodo years ago.

Now there's hope for those of you searching for the ultimate Joe Lunch Pail breakfast. The Dallas Morning News reports that DD is opening 125 new stores in Big D. There are currently three there. Could Houston be far behind?

I don't know about the rest of the Houston area, but there's a Dunkin Donuts on Southmore in Pasadena (just west of Pasadena Blvd). I think it's been there forever...

However, since we have Shipley's here in Houston, I've never had to try a Dunkin' Donut. ;)

1?

I know of one on Bissonnett and one on 1960...there's a dunkin/something else combo in Highway 6 in Copperfield

decent donuts but not enough to make to me forget Shipley's on Ella and 34th at 11 p.m. on Saturday night

I know of a couple (two) ... one in Bellaire and one on 1960.

I don't know about the rest of the Houston area, but there's a Dunkin Donuts on Southmore in Pasadena (just west of Pasadena Blvd). I think it's been there forever...

the one on south wayside has also been there forever. while their presence shrank, they never left houston.

Dunkin' is supposed to have excellent coffee, but they're not quite going after the Starbucks crowd.
Yes...thank goodness.

BTW, have you tried McDonald's upgraded coffee? Pretty good.

I remember one where highway 6 and 1960 meet at 290, on the HWY 6 side. I don't know if it is still there, it was right next to a Krispy Kreme and I think a Chick-Fil-a. I think the area is called Copper Filed.

Can't speak to the DD donuts, but Krispy Kreme were icon8.gif. Slathered in grease.

That's what made them good. I don't eat them anymore though cause I can't find them anymore.

Yes...thank goodness.

BTW, have you tried McDonald's upgraded coffee? Pretty good.

I've been hearing a lot about their coffee.

Shipley's is the better than DD. Krispey Kreme was the best, though.

Yeah, I grew up eating Krispi Kreme because that was all there was in Alabama. When they took them out of Houston I was devestated.

Yeah, I grew up eating Krispi Kreme because that was all there was in Alabama. When they took them out of Houston I was devestated.

Did they take all of them, or just some? I know the one on Richmond was slated to close. But there was also one on Main Street downtown and anther big one out at Westheimer near Dairy Ashford. Are those still there?

Did they take all of them, or just some? I know the one on Richmond was slated to close. But there was also one on Main Street downtown and anther big one out at Westheimer near Dairy Ashford. Are those still there?

Nope, They changed the one on Westheimer to Juggles Donuts. I dont know if its still there or not. It was horrible too.

Nope, They changed the one on Westheimer to Juggles Donuts. I dont know if its still there or not. It was horrible too.

Now I know you trippin'. That one was NOT horrible (but the downtown branch was ... I'll give you that).

The one on Westheimer always had hot, fresh, succulent, and deliciously fattening (sinful) donuts.

Shipley's are horrible. They are in no way the BEST. I agree, Krispy Kreme was/is (... are they even in Houston any more?) the best.

I have to disagree. Shipley's always taste fresh. I've had donuts from a "fresh batch" of Krispy Kreme and it just didn't compare. Krispy Kreme donuts also look way too uniform, as if they just came from some giant distribution bakery. Shipley's donuts are all somewhat unique in shape giving them at first glance, the appearance of a handmade pastry.

Some Shipleys are OK, but those glazed ones that look like tractor tires are awful. In the Houston humidity by the time you get them to the office they've half dissolved into a pile of sugar and goo.

What is it with donut businesses having a difficult time staying open?

They're sugary and oily, and the coffee business has gotten extremely competitive. Expensive real estate also can make it difficult to sell inexpensive goods for only a few hours per day and keep a high enough profit margin to stay in business.

I do enjoy Shipley's big ass kolaches. Those are always good.

This is a kolache. This is a klobasnek. How the hell did these donut places get it so very wrong???

This is a kolache. This is a klobasnek. How the hell did these donut places get it so very wrong???

First off, coming from a Czech family... Thank you! The term "kolache" is not a universal catch-all for those foods. Then again, I moved to a place where either is relatively unheard of which is shameful.

Second: The only Dunkin Donuts locations I remember around there are the one in Bellaire and the other up along Highway 6 (near 529?). Here however, they're a dime a dozen and in smaller towns they're known to clog up morning traffic due to the overflow from the drive-thru running out into the street. I like them, but mostly for the fact a number seem to be open 24 hours... not really anything else when it comes to the food or coffee. I have a higher opinion of Tim Horton's lately.

Regardless, it'd be interesting to see what may be in the works for their expansion into the Houston area.

Archived