Favorite Locally Owned Restaurant

Dodo's chicken on Richmond west of the beltway has the best Columbian food!!!Roasted chicken, beans and rice and arepas- cheap and delicious! I wish I could eat here, but I live in Canada now. I can't wait to move back.

It is actually East of the BW8 on Richmond between Gessner and Fondren...... When I was a student use to eat there almost daily. Now I go as much as I can. As you say, great Colombian food incredibly cheap! They are the closest Roasted chicken to what I used to eat growing up in Bogota.

The one next door, Mi Pueblito, is very good too...... Traditional Colombian cuisine with an American touch.

My favorite place is 100% Taquito.... Can't get enough of their Quesadillas.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the kirby one is still run by the family. this is the only one you should go to.

Actually, the family still runs the store on Voss and Woodway as well. However, these are the only 2 locations that are run by the family. All others are franchises and not nearly as good.

My favorite restaurant though, is Patrenellas on Jackson Hill.

Some of my faves, at different price points:

Tony's

Farrago

George's Pastaria

Christian's Totem

Churrasco's

Barnaby's

Thelma's

I'm so bummed George's moved so far out Westheimer. I loved it right there at Hillcroft. They made this one dish with italian sausage and a ton of goat cheese and sort of a vodka sauce that was just out of this world good.

My favorite local places are:

Veronas Italian Cuisine (Gessner / Westpart - Lebanese owned REPRESENT (I'm not lebanese, I just wanted to sound as cool as Puma)

Fajita Flats on Fondren (The food isn't the best but it is just a fun place to hang out. They need new chairs tho. The beef and shrimp diablos are GREAT.)

Jasper's in the Woodlands Town Square.

Uni Sushi in Woodlands Town Square

Is Mexicatessen Restraunt on Crosstimbers still serving their great food? Seems someone said they had closed?

Mexicatessen closed at the end of December last year; rumor has it that the main reason for its closure was a financial dispute among the family who owned it. The restaurant founder and family patriarch had passed away at an advanced age earlier last year. They were in business for 49 years - definitely a Northside institution.

Actually, the family still runs the store on Voss and Woodway as well. However, these are the only 2 locations that are run by the family. All others are franchises and not nearly as good.

yeah i forgot about that one....my radar doesn't extend that far west anymore.

• 1 month later...
I'm so bummed George's moved so far out Westheimer. I loved it right there at Hillcroft. They made this one dish with italian sausage and a ton of goat cheese and sort of a vodka sauce that was just out of this world good.

Veronas Italian Cuisine (Gessner / Westpart - Lebanese owned REPRESENT (I'm not lebanese, I just wanted to sound as cool as Puma)

Fajita Flats on Fondren (The food isn't the best but it is just a fun place to hang out. They need new chairs tho. The beef and shrimp diablos are GREAT.)

The center George's was in was literally dying; they had very little traffic, and poor street visibility. The new place is always packed; they're doing very well, and look like they'll be in business for a long time. George and Dave are great guys. Heck, we drive there from the Woodlands on occasion.

Other places I really like (but didn't mention before):

Jasper's - probably the best restaurant outside the Loop

Uptown Sushi - best sushi in town, but quite a scene on weekends

Daniel Wong's Kitchen - best Americanized Chinese food I've found. Be sure to try the gumbo. Seriously.

Amici - worth the drive to Sugarland for superb Italian

Pico's - serious Mexican food in a fun environment

I'm still searching for great Italian up north, but have had no luck. The Grotto in the Woodlands is a shadow of what the Westheimer store was under the Vallones.

I used to go to Fajita Flats all the time when I lived in Meyerland, but one day the exposed ceiling insulation rained down on our food, and the manager didn't seem to be concerned. Haven't been back since.

Mission Burritos - It's hard to get any better than that, especially for vegetarians in Houston.

As for atmosphere - I love the happy hour at Poblano's on S. Post Oak on Fridays. They have a very entertaining singing duo there. The owner makes the rounds and really makes everyone feel welcome and happy. We love to have a couple of margaritas and some guacamole before heading home (just a mile away) and cooking soy-chicken fajitas.

By the way, they do have a portabello mushroom dish that should satisfy most vegetarians...

Jason

Prince's Diner- Best onion rings I've had.

Cleburne Cafeteria- I've been only once, years ago. I want to go back. I'll prob wait for their 70th anniversary in 2011 when they'll be serving food for 1941 prices again. :P

Burns BBQ- When I want some good BBQ, I'll go up to the "fo-fo" (that means Acres Homes).

Frenchy's- I don't often eat there, but I find it to be the best, artery clogging goodness in town.

This Is It/Just Oxtails- Doesn't matter which one you choose, their oxtails are divine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent the weekend in Houston as a tourist (I live in Austin). Ate at a great restaurant called "The Glass Wall" in an area I think is known as the "Heights." Anyway, best tuna steak I've had in years. Great service. Great salad. Great martinis. You folks likely already know about it, but I thought it was worth mentioning from an out-of-towner. By the way, Houston really rocks! We had a great time seeing the sights...

All great choices... but Jasper's in WTS is an outpost of the Dallas original. Doesn't take anything away from how good it is -- I love it.

• 5 months later...

Continuing the thread, I'll add Barnaby's on Fairview, Ninfa's on Navigation or Kirby (patio), Black Labrador, and Tacos a go-go (the last two I can walk to or have an extremely short drive which helps).

Oh - whatever happened to Chicken n Egg Roll?

Oh - whatever happened to Chicken n Egg Roll?

I read in another forum that the owner retired and let his son take over the business. Unfortunately, the son didn't have the same emphasis on food quality and customer service that his father had, and managed to alienate many customers before ultimately succeeding in running the place out of business.

I read in another forum that the owner retired and let his son take over the business. Unfortunately, the son didn't have the same emphasis on food quality and customer service that his father had, and managed to alienate many customers before ultimately succeeding in running the place out of business.

:(

My first four favorite locally owned restaurants that come to mind without thinking too hard:

Marini's Empanadas

Kam's

Himalaya

Collina's (the one at 3835 Richmond, not the crappy ones in Meyerland and the Village)

These are two somewhat new places that are worthy of mention.

Polo's Signature (3800 SW Frwy) Have attended several mixers at this place and it is always remarkable. Very clean and luxurious place with a touch of class. Very professional setting for after work events.

www.polossignature.com

and they have a new place (Saga Food & Wine) in Midtown 3017 Milam. Has outdoor patio and equally as elegant. The wines are from around the world. Nice place to take a lady or vice versa I guess.

www.saga.com

They also own Post Oak Grill (Polo Becerra proprietor).

• 3 months later...
LOL! I just know how to drive there. Best CFS in Houston.

OMG, the CFS is so GIANT it's hanging off the plate. All of their portions are enormous and prices are reasonable.

try telwink's too. it is great as is their meatloaf, but that is only sold on mondays

Telwink's cfs is great, can't beat the price, either. And you get to experience that "flavorful" Telephone road "atmosphere" talked about so much on HAIF as a bonus. The lines get long sometimes at lunch time, that's how you know it's good. Wasn't so rustic (truckstopish) when I was little. You see all kinds in there. Breakfast is supposed to be very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Zabak's-Great gyros and the owners are great people. Also, a very sociable place.

Goode Company Restaurants-Great barbecue, hamburgers, and fajitas. Also, they have the Armadillo Palace, a great place to hang out.

Yia Yia Mary's-Great gyros.

Prince's-Great hamburgers.

newgreen_08.gif

Hungry's Cafe and Bistro

Why:

• The best tomato basil soup
  • Homemade Stouffer's lasagna
  • The Gyro Plate
  • Huge selection of beers
  • Fresh baked Sara Lee desserts (Try the Chocolate Eruption)
  • Iranian owned (Represent!)
  • Most of the staff members are local high school kids, (It was also my first job too!)

I like Hungry's too. I know the owner. Great guy!

Archived