Favorite Locally Owned Restaurant

What is your favorite locally owned restaurant here in Houston, and why?

Out in my part of town:

Palotta's Italian Grill on Jones Rd. They have great food (nothing compares to authentic Italian food made with simple recipes), and a very pleasant and cozy ambiance. It's not especially romantic, but definitely a good place for the family to eat when you want to escape the discomforting feeling of being in a chain restaurant.

In Houston proper:

DaCapo's Deli in the Heights. It's a little expensive for what you get, but I just love eating at this place. It is classy and has a strong neighborhood and community feel to it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

El Real Mexican Restaurant on FM 1960 @ Walters Rd. in the Olde Oaks shopping center.

A hole in the wall with meager decor, but great service, outstanding food, and a top shelf rita that tastes out of this world and will put you on your ass (and only costs $4 on Fridays).

Palotta's Italian Grill on Jones Rd.

Great place. My sister used to date the son of the owners.

Two -- owned by a local couple. Picnic and Raven Grill, in the old Butera's grocery store site on Bissonnet near Hazard, just west of the Museum District. Picnic is a friendly, easy-going lunch spot with great sandwiches, soups, salads, cookies -- as well as fresh loaves of bread to go. I go there so much they're probably tired of seeing me. Raven is a middle-scale restaurant with the same friendliness as Picnic. It has an adventurous menu and a lovely patio for evening dining.

I do prefer to support locally-owned restaurants (thank God for Goode Co also!).

What is your favorite locally owned restaurant here in Houston, and why?

newgreen_08.gif

Hungry's Cafe and Bistro

Why:

• The best tomato basil soup
  • Homemade Stouffer's lasagna
  • The Gyro Plate
  • Huge selection of beers
  • Fresh baked Sara Lee desserts (Try the Chocolate Eruption)
  • Iranian owned (Represent!)
  • Most of the staff members are local high school kids, (It was also my first job too!)

newgreen_08.gif

Hungry's Cafe and Bistro

Why:

• The best tomato basil soup
  • Homemade Stouffer's lasagna
  • The Gyro Plate
  • Huge selection of beers
  • Fresh baked Sara Lee desserts (Try the Chocolate Eruption)
  • Iranian owned (Represent!)
  • Most of the staff members are local high school kids, (It was also my first job too!)

Wasn't it Hungry International once? I used to love that place. They had a location on Westheimer and one on Shepherd I believe. Years ago I had a contest with a friend to see who could be the first to have one of every beer sold at Hungry I. I won! :D

i like breakfast for any or all meals...

andy's on 11th (migas)

tel-wink (biscuits and gravy / french toast)

house of pies (consistently good eggs and coffee)

ok....not an andy's fan...but do love telwink.....gotta recommend their egg/bacon/cheese sandwich. never had a breakfast sandwich there but joanie made sure it was great with the side of crispy hash browns this morning!!

Hungry's Cafe and Bistro

My boyfriend and I ate at Hungry's about a month ago and I loved it! He had been there several times before but this was my first time. The food was great and very fresh, and I loved the raspberry lemonade. I can't believe I've lived so close to this little neighborhood place for so long and never tried it before now. We'll definitely be back.

My boyfriend and I (particularly him) love Barnaby's... particularly the original one on Fairview in the gayborhood. They have great food with big portions.

I've always been a fan of Barnaby's. I do think some of the entr

their burger/salads are good, their entrees are avg IMO. sometimes service sucks.

Yea, my boyfriend LOVES their Mediterranean Salad and I usually get a bacon cheesburger or grilled chicken sandwhich... we don't usually get any of the entrees so can't comment on them.

Guest Marty

P & J on Hopper road at Seven Mile. This is a hamburger/Ice cream place that is owned by Pat and Joe I think there Vietnamese. they used to have there place at Aldine Westfield & Hopper but when Mr. "Richie" died the kids had the final decision what was to be done with the two properties and P&J was not part of it so they built a new restaurant down the street but they don't get the business that it did 10+ years ago.

the kirby one is still run by the family. this is the only one you should go to.

Yeah, I foolishly tried the one at I10 (on the way to Katy) and it was terrible. Just simply ... terrible.

I always have the Chicken Bryan (Texas) and it was dry, smaller portioned, and just ... bad. I was like ... WTF?!?

I've been tempted to try the one out here on 1960, but after that disaster, I think I'll stick with the Kirby location.

• 2 weeks later...
My boyfriend and I (particularly him) love Barnaby's... particularly the original one on Fairview in the gayborhood. They have great food with big portions. :)

Stopped going to that one. My party always has to wait a little longer to be served <_< . It has happened more than 3 times. After the manager says something to the waitors (always waitors) they seem to get there act together & want to give quality service. Hobbit Cafe has much better service. Besides now that I have discovered District 7 sandwiches I don't need Barnaby's.

Oh but my new favorite is the Breakfast Klub http://www.thebreakfastklub.com/.

The Chinese Cafe on Richmond (behind The Galleria).

Real Chinese food by real Asian people trained to cook it like from the old country. It's authentic what can I say? So many different dishes to sample. So filling you always have to take some home with you. Going here is like therapy for me. What's really funny is the crowd leaving the gym next door seem to be just too tempted to drop in on the way out of the gym. The aroma is just hypnotic. :wacko::lol:

Now I'm lusting for it, thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived