Tuam - 2am?

Guest Plastic

I thought Kuykendahl (sp?) is pronounced KYE-Kendall.

I use to pronounce Gessner with the J-sound (Jessner) when I first came here.

For some odd reason I always tend to pronounce Almeda Street like I'm saying "Alameda", as in Alameda County, California (my home county). "Almeda" always throws me off regressively.

Early on because of Beechnut's unique name and spelling, I used to say Beak-Nut; was I ever wrong, I say Beach-Nut now.

:lol: @ this thread

I didn't know Humble was pronounced "Umble." Anyone have explanation on Umble?

I've never heard "too am" until i read this thread - i've always heard "twom" and have always said "twom" - been in houston since '76. that's probably the wrong way to pronounce it, but that's all i'd ever heard...

i know kirkendoll ;)

I've never heard "too am" until i read this thread - i've always heard "twom" and have always said "twom" - been in houston since '76. that's probably the wrong way to pronounce it, but that's all i'd ever heard...

i know kirkendoll ;)

I've always called it 2-AM. Thats what my great grandma called it back in the 50's and great grandma had to be right...right? I agree with the Kirkendoll 100%. :D

that reminds me, we should make a list of street names called Houston across the country.... I always try to ask locals how the street is pronounced but unfortunately I don't write it down (I think it was Hughston in Savannah, not Howston like in NYC). Well, of course there is the perennial debate about the correct way of saying it in Houston itself: the [h] mute (like many outsiders seem to say it), the [h] pronounced but with the glide [j] (which seems to be the mainstream pronunciation in Houston) or the [h] pronounced but without the glide [j], which seems to be a sociolinguistically marked variant..

Well, of course there is the perennial debate about the correct way of saying it in Houston itself: the [h] mute (like many outsiders seem to say it), the [h] pronounced but with the glide [j] (which seems to be the mainstream pronunciation in Houston) or the [h] pronounced but without the glide [j], which seems to be a sociolinguistically marked variant..

Didn't realize there was a question. You pronounce the H. the others just have speech problems.

What's a glide j? :blink:

I pronounce it "Yew-stun" with just a little bit of "h". Like "hYewww-stun".

Have I been wrong all these years? :P

a glide [j] is what is written "y" sometimes. For instance the word "new" can be pronounced with a glide or without one, so in RP English it has to be there, while I think there is more variety in Standard American English. (And in linguistics, there is never wrong or right, there are different norms, some being more prestigious than others).

Oh yeah and it's El-gin (like the kind you drink).
El-gin Street in Houston is named for a guy named El-ghen. El-ghen is the pronunciation of the town east of Austin. Don't know if the town and the street are named for the same guy, though.

• 7 months later...

Houston in Texas is pronounced like the word "huge", whereas Houston, the street in NYC is pronounced like the word "house". It could be because the city was named after Sam Houston whereas the street was named after William Houstoun, the current spelling an alteration of the name.

I'd like to know this as well as I'll be living on the street in a coupla weeks.

I've been pronouncing it BRAN-ard, but the leasing agent at Menil Properites said bruh-NARD.

I guess it could be BRAY-nard, but that seems the least likely.

My boyfriend used to live on this street... it's pronounced bruh-NARD.

• 1 month later...