Tuam - 2am?

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

In the area south of Downtown Midtow there is a street. It's spelled Tuam, only question is how to pronounce it.

I always hear people and radio traffic ppl pronounce Two-am. But that doesn't looke like how it's pronounced. I think Twam

rhymes with bomb. It sounds Vietnemese-Asian. THat wouldn't be a surprice cause midtown is our other Little Saigon a place for vietnemese culture. At that wasn't there some famous HOustonian who was virtnemesenamed Tuam?

Don't tell the locals ,they might get pissed. For years they were mispronouncing Fugua.Almeda-Genoa,and Kuhkendahl.

I usually have an opinion on local pronunciations, but not when it comes to Tuam. I've heard it too many different ways, even from old-timers. But see the opinions re Tuam expressed in this earlier HAIF thread.

Apparently, the Irish pronunciation of Tuam ends up sounding like "choom" - but I've never heard anyone say that here.

Don't tell the locals ,they might get pissed. For years they were mispronouncing Fugua.Almeda-Genoa,and Kuhkendahl.

Considering Tuam Street was named for Dick Dowling's birthplace, and that Dowling was a Confederate War hero, I doubt the "locals" would get pissed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_W._Dowling

They'd probably be more pissed that you thought it was Vietnamese.

In the area south of Downtown Midtow there is a street. It's spelled Tuam, only question is how to pronounce it.

I always hear people and radio traffic ppl pronounce Two-am. But that doesn't looke like how it's pronounced. I think Twam

rhymes with bomb. It sounds Vietnemese-Asian. THat wouldn't be a surprice cause midtown is our other Little Saigon a place for vietnemese culture. At that wasn't there some famous HOustonian who was virtnemesenamed Tuam?

TWO-am

The guys are Metro Traffic always told me it's pronounced "Two-am."

Learn something new every day. I was pronouncing it "Two-ahm."

Reminds me of time someone said Elgin Ave. was pronounced Elk-in. Can't remember where I heard that, though.

Guest Marty

In the 1980's the reporters called it Twon kinda like Tron but now they say Tu am because they are not from the Astrodome City ;)

In broadcasting circles the debate used to be two-am or two-um. The latter tends to be heard as just two and seems to have fallen out of usage. I've never heard choom. The street name was applied long before there were any Vietnamese in Houston.

When I was in Austin I was amazed to hear the name of the Central Texas town Elgin pronounced with a hard g. I almost corrected a fellow announcer until I realized he'd spent his whole life there and probably knew local usage better than me. I always understood the Houston street name is pronounced with a soft g.

I always thought it was shar-trez or char-trez!

San Fillipy is fine with me and used to be the standard pronounciation I think.

Should it be bee soh nay?

In broadcasting circles the debate used to be two-am or two-um. The latter tends to be heard as just two and seems to have fallen out of usage. I've never heard choom. The street name was applied long before there were any Vietnamese in Houston.

When I was in Austin I was amazed to hear the name of the Central Texas town Elgin pronounced with a hard g. I almost corrected a fellow announcer until I realized he'd spent his whole life there and probably knew local usage better than me. I always understood the Houston street name is pronounced with a soft g.

I always thought it was shar-trez or char-trez!

San Fillipy is fine with me and used to be the standard pronounciation I think.

Should it be bee soh nay?

Abominations all. San Fill-EEE-PAY and Biss-ah-net.

Oh yeah and it's El-gin (like the kind you drink).

in houston, the pronunciations are:

sayen juh-sin-toe

sayen phillip-pee

char-turs

too-am

:P

Chartres - Now that you mention it, I've also heard "charters" for "chartres" pretty frequently here (along with chartriss and shartriss). "Shart" I've only heard in Louisiana.

San Felipe - Up until now, I don't think I'd ever heard a native call the road san fu-LEE-pay or fayleepay or fayleep. All the natives I know/knew said san FILL-a-pee (or phillip-pee or fillipy, per sevfiv and brucesw). Maybe the "local" pronunciation is in the process of changing... Wouldn't be that surprising.

Chartres: I used to say shar-tres when I was younger until one day in school, probably in art history if I remember right, when I learned about the City of Chartres (pronounced shart) in France. So now I say shart... :lol:

Archived