Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

14 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Star Architect chosen.  Something beautiful and Iconic will be amazing here. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Ismaili-Muslims-hire-rising-architect-Farshid-13592178.php

The only thing I hate about this article is the "several years" part. I mean it's already been several years lol

• Like 2

This is great news. I really thought this had just faded into space. I'm happy to see this moving forward and can't wait to see what she comes up with.

Something that the article mentioned and Ive been working onfor the past twenty years,  is connecting the Museum district with Montrose Blvd. down to the Bayou. 

I have proposed a special Calatrava bridge at Montrose and an observation tower(Claus Oldenberg Flashlight) with its beam of light shining into space, to  tie Houston to the space exploration. You have to have a flashlight to find your way in the dark, and the energy connection with the beam of light. It would be a great place for an observation tower and restaurant. At Westheimer and Montrose I'd place a roundabout with more art and fountains, and at every major intersection there would be unifying art and lights to bring attention to the great art collections and institutions that find their homes along Montrose. At the other end of the Montrose axis  in Hermann park, where Sam's statue and the obelisk and spire of the zoo building all line up with Montrose, I'd have a sculpture in the middle of Lake McGovern  of the space capsule landing in the water with its parachutes dropping it gently into the lake. That would just tie into the space city theme, and the flashlight at the other end.

This would not only make Montrose the signature Boulevard  it once was, and should be,  and bring recognition to this cities great art institutes.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, terra002 said:

So what exactly is this building? Im not familiar with these centers. 

TIL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ismaili_Centre

The Ismaili Centres are symbolic markers of the permanent presence of the Nizari Ismailis in the countries and regions in which they are established, characterised by the Aga Khan IV as 'ambassadorial buildings'. Each building is architecturally unique and functions as a jamatkhana (place of worship), but also incorporates spaces for social and cultural gatherings, intellectual engagement and reflection, as well as spiritual contemplation. They facilitate mutual exchange and seek to foster understanding between diverse peoples, communities and faiths. Collectively and individually, the Centres represent the Nizari Ismaili community’s intellectual and spiritual understanding of Islam, as well as the community’s social conscience, outlook and attitude towards the societies in which it lives.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, wilcal said:

TIL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ismaili_Centre

The Ismaili Centres are symbolic markers of the permanent presence of the Nizari Ismailis in the countries and regions in which they are established, characterised by the Aga Khan IV as 'ambassadorial buildings'. Each building is architecturally unique and functions as a jamatkhana (place of worship), but also incorporates spaces for social and cultural gatherings, intellectual engagement and reflection, as well as spiritual contemplation. They facilitate mutual exchange and seek to foster understanding between diverse peoples, communities and faiths. Collectively and individually, the Centres represent the Nizari Ismaili community’s intellectual and spiritual understanding of Islam, as well as the community’s social conscience, outlook and attitude towards the societies in which it lives.

In other words, for no apparent reason, expect protests against construction of this building.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So this is that empty patch on Allen Parkway at Montrose, correct? If so,  that's a great spot for something impressive looking. Hope they build it way up above Harvey depth. 

People will clutch pearls over anything and broadcast their anxieties for the Kabuki Theater of outrage and counter outrage for everyone to feel good about themselves. I doubt this particular act lasts more than one cycle should the project progress.   

• Like 5

And these are just random internet forums discussing architecture and development. Wait until this gets on the local news. I'm calling it now. (again, unfortunately). It doesn't matter for some folks that this isn't in the suburbs... as soon as they see the words "Shia", some will think this is an invasion and I am speaking from personal experience... I admittedly have people within my own family **distant that is** that will no doubt in my mind be absolutely appalled that something this close will be built near downtown, especially since they already complain about the Islamic Da'wah Center of Houston in downtown. And I'm not saying all of this to stir controversy on this forum, I just really worry that something architecturally and culturally significant might be prevented from being built because of a few loud ignorant voices in an ever growing diverse city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Triton said:

And these are just random internet forums discussing architecture and development. Wait until this gets on the local news. I'm calling it now. (again, unfortunately). It doesn't matter for some folks that this isn't in the suburbs... as soon as they see the words "Shia", some will think this is an invasion and I am speaking from personal experience... I admittedly have people within my own family **distant that is** that will no doubt in my mind be absolutely appalled that something this close will be built near downtown, especially since they already complain about the Islamic Da'wah Center of Houston in downtown. And I'm not saying all of this to stir controversy on this forum, I just really worry that something architecturally and culturally significant might be prevented from being built because of a few loud ignorant voices in an ever growing diverse city.

There may be some outcry but i don’t think protesters will have any substantial ground to stop this. At most neighboring residents may sue and hold it up in court by arguing traffic will be an issue.

20 hours ago, Triton said:

Could you imagine something like this when driving down Montrose? I'm excited now.

08%20leicester.jpg?itok=0O-ZLJOw

..or this...

11%20ravensbourne.jpg?itok=NWSViOKb

I will readily admit that I don’t have any creative vision.

that said, both of these buildings are, to me, ugly.  And, the one with the yellow “cranes” on the top is beyond ugly, it’s hideous.  Between the Fed Reserve building and this, Allen Parkway with be quite “interesting”.

others mileage will vary.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I will readily admit that I don’t have any creative vision.

that said, both of these buildings are, to me, ugly.  And, the one with the yellow “cranes” on the top is beyond ugly, it’s hideous.  Between the Fed Reserve building and this, Allen Parkway with be quite “interesting”.

others mileage will vary.

I may be wrong but the "yellow cranes" in the back of the second picture is a separate building. I think that is a football (soccer) stadium). The angle makes them look like one structure.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

I may be wrong but the "yellow cranes" in the back of the second picture is a separate building. I think that is a football (soccer) stadium). The angle makes them look like one structure.

Correct. The “yellow cranes” are part of the O2 Arena, which is used as a concert venue, among other things.

I just can't believe the shortlist for this project:

Rem Koolhaas

Studio Gang

David Chipperfield

Farshid Moussavi

The selection was for Farshid Moussavi. Don't actually know this persons work, though I have heard the name before. I do know this person is an up and comer. Essentially they went with a more daring unproven choice which is interesting, but then again this organization really likes their buildings to pop. Even if they went with the "safe choice" it would have been stellar. I mean Rem is Rem. Studio Gang is one of the best firms working in the US. David Chipperfield is one of the biggest in London and Berlin. He also did the Menil Master Plan. Was originally going to do the Drawing Institute.

Now we wait for the first visuals.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, bobruss said:

I have proposed a special Calatrava bridge at Montrose and an observation tower(Claus Oldenberg Flashlight) with its beam of light shining into space, to  tie Houston to the space exploration.

Fantastic idea on the tower!

Let's find someone besides Calatrava . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

I just can't believe the shortlist for this project:

Rem Koolhaas

Studio Gang

David Chipperfield

Farshid Moussavi

The selection was for Farshid Moussavi. Don't actually know this persons work, though I have heard the name before. I do know this person is an up and comer. Essentially they went with a more daring unproven choice which is interesting, but then again this organization really likes their buildings to pop. Even if they went with the "safe choice" it would have been stellar. I mean Rem is Rem. Studio Gang is one of the best firms working in the US. David Chipperfield is one of the biggest in London and Berlin. He also did the Menil Master Plan. Was originally going to do the Drawing Institute.

Now we wait for the first visuals.

Studio Gang's proposal for Tour Montparnasse is an extremely interesting proposal and a beautiful tower. They have done some really exciting new work.

• Like 1