I got bumped off at Rice U stop on Friday and immediately experienced a replay of the Metro's inadequate 700 bus substitute after Hurricane Ike.

Think a large mob, few buses that do come by are full (or the driver will not open the doors despite adequate standing room), and general frustration.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran across a couple of interesting articles this weekend, both talking about a private infusion of money into public transit.

Bar and club owners along L.A. Metro's downtown rail line (like Houston, also called the Red Line) are trying to boost business. The way they're doing it is paying L.A. Metro to run Red Line service longer into the night so that it's more useful for late-night clubbers and bar hoppers.

The downtown businesses pay the cost of whatever it takes to keep the trains running beyond their usual closing time until 3am on Friday and Saturday nights. Amazingly, the plan went through in just two months. Now the city DOT has taken notice and is extending the runs of its downtown circulator shuttle trollies to match the extended rail hours -- again paid for with private money.

What do the HAIFers think about this plan? Do you think downtown Houston bars would pony up to keep the Red Line running later, or maybe making the current schedule more frequent (it's every 20 minutes now, compared with every 2-10 minutes in LA).

What about a circulator bus between the downtown bars and the city's other club districts?

I think the idea has some merit.

a circulating bus route might do well as a trial to see how that works out, but seeing how long the distances are between rice, washingbton, midtown, downtown, and galleria; it would be interesting to see the routing and how the drivers would handle some of the more rowdy riders.

then again, the argument could be squashed with security onboard and ridership could be encouraged if an "amnesty" against a Public Intoxication for those those riding mass transit.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The Red Line is to close this weekend due to TMC bridge construction. Why do they have to close the whole damn thing? Can't they bridge stations with buses, like when it floods?

I was going to ride it to two destinations this weekend.

http://blogs.chron.c...rail_shutd.html

Edited by rsb320

The Red Line is to close this weekend due to TMC bridge construction. Why do they have to close the whole damn thing? Can't they bridge stations with buses, like when it floods?

I was going to ride it to two destinations this weekend.

If the wires have to be deenergized and the work goes on all night then trains can't make it back to the maintenance and cleaning facility. That's my guess.

You can still ride the shuttle buses. They will be running more often than the trains would so total travel time should be similar.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

constructionwas well under way, the first couple of photos are just north where it's supposed to end, but it could just be related utility work....or not. Because of the construction, taking pics was quite a challenge, but as you can see, these are heading south from Northline mall. 011.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

For grins, I took a quick shot of the Transit center as it currently stands.

012.jpg

017.jpg

This is looking back at crosstimbers. I sat here for a couple of minutes and noticed most south bound traffic turned east or west. Kinda' wonder if that's normal or if it's simply because of the traffic.

015.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

The site of where the first of the overpasses that will be built.

020.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

029.jpg

028.jpg

One of the more challenging turns I'd like to see how they're going to handle. The DEIS doesn't give much detail.

030.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

034.jpg

033.jpg035.jpg

Looking back at Hays and the split. Another challenging intersection.

036.jpg

037.jpg

This is where the rail is supposed to split off.

039.jpg

038.jpg

As you can see, little work so far on boundary.

040.jpg

043.jpg

And this is the turn from Boundery onto Main.

042.jpg

This is continuing on Fulton just south of boundary heading towards Hogan.

045.jpg

044.jpg

Hogan.....

048.jpg

With the area it is suppose to turn to Main.

049.jpg

I have no idea where there bridge is supposed to go over and "land" so I just took a guess it would land about here. Pick a spot.

050.jpg

051.jpg

053.jpg

052.jpg

055.jpg

• 8 months later...

Cool! They really are working on the light rail!

And thanks for the pics: it shows me another part of Houston I haven't seen before...looks like it has Fiesta, Payless Shoes, and...Dairy Land?

Actually, I've been meaning to go back since I saw how much the construction has progressed. My only problem is being a bit more selective on what I shoot and post.

• Like 1

Actually, I've been meaning to go back since I saw how much the construction has progressed. My only problem is being a bit more selective on what I shoot and post.

May I speak for most of us?

I'm unsure as to what immediate effect this work is having on the neighborhood, or how efficiently it's contributing to the construction of the Red Line. These photographs are a valuable record.

Post the pictures first - we'll sort it out later.

May I speak for most of us?

I'm unsure as to what immediate effect this work is having on the neighborhood, or how efficiently it's contributing to the construction of the Red Line. These photographs are a valuable record.

Post the pictures first - we'll sort it out later.

I was thinking that as well.

Perhaps taking all the pics and then posting them on my photobucket and letting picking them from there?

It cleared up nicely and was in the area so I thought I'd snap a few photos after the rain and clouds flew past.

As you can see, nothing really done at the TC, but the road next to it is coming along nicely, though.

th_P1010356.jpg

th_P1010357.jpg

th_P1010358.jpg

th_P1010360.jpg

This is crosstimbers as it stands.

th_P1010361.jpg

th_P1010362.jpg

th_P1010363.jpg

This look looking north towards Crosstimbers.

th_P1010364.jpg

th_P1010365.jpg

No sign of constructing starting for the elevated section. Anyone to pool bets on when it starts?

th_P1010366.jpg

th_P1010367.jpg

From here, there is little sign of construction from Stokes to 610, but looks like they are just starting, but there wasn't a good place to take a decent photo.

th_P1010368.jpg

th_P1010369.jpg

th_P1010370.jpg

th_P1010371.jpg

th_P1010372.jpg

This is the Patton intersection looking south.

th_P1010373.jpg

th_P1010374.jpg

This is from the entrance of Moody Park looking south. Note the construction of new apartments across the street.

th_P1010375.jpg

th_P1010376.jpg

Note the new pavement at the intersection. Its hard to see, but it is there.

th_P1010378.jpg

th_P1010379.jpg

th_P1010380.jpg

th_P1010381.jpg

There is little or no sign of construction from Boundary and Hogan and nothing on those particular streets, so I started at Main @ Boundary.

th_P1010384.jpg

th_P1010385.jpg

th_P1010386.jpg

th_P1010387.jpg

No sign of construction the elevated portion here....

th_P1010388.jpg

...and then I noticed the cranes. Didn't think much of them, figured it had something to do with some UHD expansion...

th_P1010390.jpg

th_P1010391.jpg

Looking BACK, revealed something unexpected. I thought the elevated portion was taking a different route?

th_P1010393.jpg

Other than that, there wasn't much more construction towards the south, but as you can see, there is some off the roadway where I thought the elevated portion would go.

th_P1010394.jpg

And the bonus of a DT view I've never really seen before. NOW I wish I had a better camera.

th_P1010395.jpg

The casons being poured just east of the Main St. tunnel are, in fact, for the elevated Burnett station.

You got me rather curious, and since I was going to be in the area again anyway, I took a few more shots:

th_P1010486.jpg

th_P1010487.jpg

th_P1010488.jpg

th_P1010489.jpg

th_P1010491.jpg

I guess they are finished at leveling or something, but other than making a road to connect parking areas or even a new parking lot, I don't know what it would be used for.

th_P1010492.jpg

th_P1010493.jpg

th_P1010494.jpg

th_P1010495.jpg

Notice the alignment. I'm curious as the path and the picture above hints that they are starting at the next group of casons.

th_P1010496.jpg

Well, I stopped by the office and i was surprised to know that the route along hogan was dropped, which I thought was great! It seemed like an idiotic alignment plan anyway, but that means tracks in both directions will be going down boundary, which is a fairly narrow street.

As I was driving past, it looks like they are about ready to do some work on that particular street.

Back to the reason I went...

Turns out that not only will be an elevated portion that will go EAST of main street, but the station will be located on that elevated portion.

Should be rather interesting to see how that will turn out.

found out that Walter's on washington was moving to 1120 Naylor , so I thought I'd add these photos.

Still have no clue where the elevated station is going to be relative to location of the club, it thought it would interesting to see how the place is now and compare it after the construction is finished as well as any future development in the future.

th_P1010607.jpg

th_P1010608.jpg

th_P1010609.jpg

• 7 months later...

It has been awhile since I've driving near most of the lines, do you think it would be appropriate for me to shoot another vid in jan, or should I good sooner or later?

Additionally, anyone have route suggestions (directionally) for the various lines, or just follow it like I did last time?

• 1 year later...