William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

They are already turning humans into freight with these policies. This would simply be more direct: we are freight, therefore we pay by the pound to be transported.

Finally, a common sense policy. Pay by the pound! ... You and your luggage get on the scale, and then out comes the price. Slide your Visa or MasterCard and done.

You want to bring 4 bags? Go for it! 1 bag? No problem!

If the bean counters are running amok now... I say just go all out and do it. Charge by total poundage.

Finally, a common sense policy. Pay by the pound! ... You and your luggage get on the scale, and then out comes the price. Slide your Visa or MasterCard and done.

You want to bring 4 bags? Go for it! 1 bag? No problem!

If the bean counters are running amok now... I say just go all out and do it. Charge by total poundage.

I'll drink to that Bryan! ... Free Bloody Mary's for the passengers!!! I only weigh 195 lbs. & the only carry-on is my laptop & case. Makes a nice flight. Last time I went to Vegas for a week on business, I sent my baggage UPS to the hotel a day in advance. I like to travel light, and in style... Swoooshh!!

A few more photos from March 2, 2010 coming into HOU from Jacksonville, FL. Not being from Houston, I'm not really familiar with what we were flying over, but I do know we came in from the south

JAX281.jpg

I think this is the Gulf Freeway

JAX282.jpg

JAX283.jpg

JAX289.jpg

JAX284.jpg

JAX285.jpg

JAX288.jpg

JAX290.jpg

HOU001.jpg

Taking off again for Austin

HOU004.jpg

• Like 2

A few more photos from March 2, 2010 coming into HOU from Jacksonville, FL. Not being from Houston, I'm not really familiar with what we were flying over, but I do know we came in from the south

JAX281.jpg

I think this is the Gulf Freeway

JAX282.jpg

JAX283.jpg

JAX289.jpg

JAX284.jpg

JAX285.jpg

JAX288.jpg

JAX290.jpg

HOU001.jpg

Taking off again for Austin

HOU004.jpg

Wonderful photos! Looks like you guys did a 30L landing and a 30L departure. I flew MDW-HOU on Saturday night and made a video of the approach to 12R from 288 all the way to engine shutoff at the gate. Maybe I'll upload it to YouTube when I get the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

From houstonspotter.net:

A contingent of Denver city and business leaders traveled to Japan last week to remind aviation officials that interest remains strong in attracting All Nippon Airways nonstop service between Tokyo and Denver.

Visits by Denver airport and business officials to woo the airline have gone on for more than a decade, though Denver has maintained the pressure for the past six years.

"We wanted them to know we're still aggressively pursuing the service," said Sally Covington, marketing chief at Denver International Airport.

The nonstop service from Tokyo's Narita International Airport is important for DIA, Covington said, adding, "Tokyo is the gateway to Asia for us."

Covington said the Tokyo-Denver connection would mean about $120 million a year in direct revenue for DIA and indirect and induced revenues.

All Nippon Airways is the "launch" customer for the Boeing 787, called the "Dreamliner." Testing of the new 210-seat aircraft has been delayed.

The Japanese carrier is considering at least two U.S. cities to serve with the widebody jet, with Boston, Houston and Miami also suggested.

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_14924074

• 3 months later...

I've never flown them but I had a friend who really liked them.

Also, according to this route and destination points, they're off by about 1 mile.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=I-45+S&daddr=Telephone+Rd&geocode=FUjcxQEd4uFQ-g%3BFT6DxAEdigFS-g&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=12&sll=29.69968,-95.33801&sspn=0.224561,0.307961&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=12

That's to be expected from an article which also states Hobby Airport is on JFK Boulevard.

It's a great airline with an even better livery. Love the "whole different animal" tagline.

That said, I am sad to see them leave IAH and I find it VERY interesting that they decided to move to Hobby to take on Southwest head-on. Southwest has made a major move and expansion into Denver, which is Frontier's home base. Frontier had a niche market at IAH as one of the few lower fare airlines and they were a great alternative to Continental's outrageous walkup fares on that route. Now, they'll move to Hobby and join other lower cost carriers like Southwest, Air Tran, and Jet Blue.

It's a great airline with an even better livery. Love the "whole different animal" tagline.

That said, I am sad to see them leave IAH and I find it VERY interesting that they decided to move to Hobby to take on Southwest head-on. Southwest has made a major move and expansion into Denver, which is Frontier's home base. Frontier had a niche market at IAH as one of the few lower fare airlines and they were a great alternative to Continental's outrageous walkup fares on that route. Now, they'll move to Hobby and join other lower cost carriers like Southwest, Air Tran, and Jet Blue.

I think the move occurred because Frontier couldn't compete with recently merged United/Continental on a hub-hub routing. They shouldn't have trouble competing with Southwest as DEN is not a hub for Southwest. They compete with Southwest in a similar fashion at Chicago Midway.

DEN is very much a hub for Southwest. Don't let the Southwest lingo fool you about them not having "hubs." Southwest has expanded DEN like wildfire. In fact, I am pretty certain Southwest offers more flights now at DEN than they do at Hobby. Southwest has declared a fare war at DEN against United (hub) and Frontier (hub) and increased service like mad on routes that are highly competitive.

DEN is very much a hub for Southwest. Don't let the Southwest lingo fool you about them not having "hubs." Southwest has expanded DEN like wildfire. In fact, I am pretty certain Southwest offers more flights now at DEN than they do at Hobby. Southwest has declared a fare war at DEN against United (hub) and Frontier (hub) and increased service like mad on routes that are highly competitive.

MDW is a quasi hub for Southwest as well, yet Frontier is flying there from DEN. They don't want to put up direction competition with United on too many fronts, and IAH is becoming United's newest hub. If United wasn't a problem, they'd stay at IAH and choose ORD instead of MDW.

In Denver, only United and Frontier can connect passengers to the smaller Rocky Mountain destinations, including the ski resorts. SWA only connects to the big cities further west. So I'm guessing Frontier wants to differentiate itself from United/Continental by leaving from Hobby, which is certainly more attractive to south Houston/Ft.Bend/Brazoria/Clear Lake/Galveston.

Frontier route map: http://www.frontierairlines.com/frontier/plan-book/routes-timetables/route-map.do

SWA route map: http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/routemap_dyn.html?src=et042004

I was piddling around on wikipedia earlier today and came across some information stating that Frontier Airlines is to cancel service to Houston beginning in November. Did any of you guys hear this?

Edited by JLWM8609

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time since I banked on getting anything approaching a decent meal on a domestic flight. If I'm traveling for personal reasons, I bring a lunch. Business, I eat at the airport on my per diem. Airlines and food is a joke that hasn't been funny for a long time. International flights are a bit better but of course you pay through the nose for those.

• 1 month later...

Excellent photos by all in this thread.

I flew in to HOU on gloomy and cloudy days this year. The pilot kept swaying the plane right and left on the most recent flight so it got very quiet inside. I'll have to take photos the next time.

LoneStarMike, what camera did you use and what airline had windows so clean you can't tell they are there in photos?

Excellent photos by all in this thread.

I flew in to HOU on gloomy and cloudy days this year. The pilot kept swaying the plane right and left on the most recent flight so it got very quiet inside. I'll have to take photos the next time.

LoneStarMike, what camera did you use and what airline had windows so clean you can't tell they are there in photos?

Im not much of a pilot but why would he say the plane?

• 3 months later...

Remember how everyone was afraid that if Continental and United merged that Continental flights would start to suck more? It's happening.

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2011/03/continental-cuts-free-coach-snacks-on-u-s-flights.html

Continental stopped serving complimentary snacks to passengers flying coach on domestic routes this week. The change is consistent with the carrier’s merger-partner United Airlines’ policy of food for purchase.

I was looking for vacation deals to Aruba and/or Noumea and some of the packages called for United flights... for which I had to PAY for my drinx whilst on the plane. UGH. Never mind. I'll stick to Funjet.com where all my alcoholic beverages were free (all inclusive) since I stepped foot on the plane. :)

No thanks.

I was looking for vacation deals to Aruba and/or Noumea and some of the packages called for United flights... for which I had to PAY for my drinx whilst on the plane. UGH. Never mind. I'll stick to Funjet.com where all my alcoholic beverages were free (all inclusive) since I stepped foot on the plane. :)

No thanks.

Charter flights are very common with vacationgoers in Europe, but not so much with the United States

Continental hasn't been to Noumea in a long time

Delta hasn't announced plans to drop snacks yet.

Edited by VicMan

The Buy-on-Board program pretty much sealed the deal that we'd see Continental adopting more of the United way of doing food.

I'm not surprised by them getting rid of pretzels since the evidence is there that a lot of people either refuse them or don't eat them.