William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

• 4 weeks later...

As an update, Continental has applied to fly Newark to Haneda and Guam to Haneda: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml%3Fc%3D85779%26p%3Dirol-newsArticle%26ID%3D1391563

I am guessing the Guam flights will be on a 767-400 Mike (specific to the Micronesia fleet) and a few 737-800s. For the EWR-HND flight I do not know where they are going to move the planes from. It will be interesting to see this unfold.

the GUM-HND flight will be operated by a single 767-400 (20/236 configuration), with the EWR-HND proposed for 777 service. With 2 additonal 777 coming online this year, rearanging of the route planning can be done to accomodate. Although 777 cycles will be very limited on ground time. IAH-AMS will be downgraded to a 764 permanently as well, so there is some spare 777 flight time on top of the additional 2 CO is getting.

I have my doubts that Continental will actually be granted EWR-HND. Instead, I think we'll see GUM-HND granted to Continental, HNL-HND granted to Hawaiian Airlines, one route granted to Delta, and probably something from the west coast granted to United. I just do not see the DOT granting three slots to the Star Alliance.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6913828.html

Continental is doing away with meals at mealtime on all domestic and Latin America flights under 6 hours. There will be a buy-on-board option in coach. Meals will remain free in First Class.

I guess Continental did not see the free meals as a real differentiator anymore and wanted to stay competitive.

i guess they'll have to get rid of my favorite ad:

"We would eat our competitor's lunch, if they served it"

and i did see it as a differentiator, though i'm probably a rare case. i fly to Philly and Denver often for work, and with all other things being equal (ff miles, timing, price) i would take Continental over United or US Air, for the meal and loyalty. But with the chance to get first class upgrades, i'll still chose Continental, so if its saves them $35M and potentially keeps them in the black next year, I'm ok with that.

I do wish Continental did what Hawaiian Airlines did and offered free meals in addition to extra buy on board options.

Maybe what Continental should do is try to sell distinctly Houston products (food products from Houston area chains and/or specialties from the Houston area, such as fajitas, Vietnamese sandwiches, etc) on flights to and from Houston. I also thought of the idea of including chips and salsa with meal packs as kind of a Tex-Mex touch...

Edited by VicMan

Another idea would be for the airline to offer free meals to people who hold OnePass statuses. That way people who built up status still feel like they are getting something extra.

Another idea would be something similar to what United does, giving free meals to people buy full fare Y/B tickets.

I think they came to this conclusion by looking at what was thrown away (yes, they went through all of the trash) and polling customers. They've posted on their Twitter feed that food wasn't a differentiator for a majority of their customers.

Another idea would be something similar to what United does, giving free meals to people buy full fare Y/B tickets.

I think they came to this conclusion by looking at what was thrown away (yes, they went through all of the trash) and polling customers. They've posted on their Twitter feed that food wasn't a differentiator for a majority of their customers.

It can't be much of a differentiator if the free food is crap. Most of what CO serves as free is of lower quality than one might find at an interstate truck stop. As a consumer, I'd be very willing to pay for something that is of higher quality. You get what you pay for, (YGWYPF?? pretty good, eh, kylejack?) and free food ain't good.

• Like 1

I feel the same way. If I'm flying domestic, just get me there cheap in a reasonably comfortable seat and don't feed me anything. There's definitely better food where I'm coming from or where I'm going and I can last a couple hours with no food.

While I agree when I am originating somewhere, there are times when I am going from D.C. to San Francisco and have maybe 45 minutes between flights and having the free (yet, not so tasty) food is a plus.

It's not a deal breaker for me and I'll continue to fly Continental.

It can't be much of a differentiator if the free food is crap. Most of what CO serves as free is of lower quality than one might find at an interstate truck stop. As a consumer, I'd be very willing to pay for something that is of higher quality. You get what you pay for, (YGWYPF?? pretty good, eh, kylejack?) and free food ain't good.

x2. I'd rather have the option to buy something edible. But I wouldn't be too optimistic about the priced options. It's a known requirement that, in order to get into an airport for sale, food has to be removed of any flavors or quality.

the food may have been crap, but it was free.

would you rather pay $7 for this?

united snack boxes

or $5 for some almonds?

us air choices

i bought one once, on US Air, drove straight from work in Philly, barely made it to my gate, and had a flight to LA. i much rather have had the free stuff to hold me over and get something in LA, then pay $7, then eat again when i land cause it was barely filling anyways.

It wasn't free. It was just bundled into your ticket price.

But considering that extra cost multiplied several thousand times over daily caused those who provided free lunch to be less competitive with those who didn't provide lunch, it makes more sense to just dispense with the cost altogether. I like cheap tickets as much as the next guy, but when I'm faced with concession stand prices for a bag of almonds, I recognize my own culpability in the matter. I'll still use Priceline, Orbitz and Cheaptickets to get my tickets, and I'll just fill up before I hop on board. It'll be just like going to the movies - and when my pilot's a pimply faced teenager because no adult would work for what an airline can pay, I'll recognize my culpability in that too.

i don't think so, but i don't have the numbers to prove it. just my experience of booking about 15 tickets a year over the last 3 years, as other airlines started taking away meal service, the prices fluctuated consistently for all the airlines (except SW).

other airlines started taking away meals and charging for bags, etc to maximize their bottom line, but they didn't lower ticket prices (or not increase them as much) when they took away food.

i'm sure it factors in to some small extent, but not enough for the consumer to notice or even be effected given ticket prices fluctuate several times a day depending on demand.

i don't think so, but i don't have the numbers to prove it. just my experience of booking about 15 tickets a year over the last 3 years, as other airlines started taking away meal service, the prices fluctuated consistently for all the airlines (except SW).

other airlines started taking away meals and charging for bags, etc to maximize their bottom line, but they didn't lower ticket prices (or not increase them as much) when they took away food.

i'm sure it factors in to some small extent, but not enough for the consumer to notice or even be effected given ticket prices fluctuate several times a day depending on demand.

I remember last year there was a billboard that read "Full meals on flights...Other airlines are just plane NUTS!" Poking fun at Southwest...haha! who is laughing now?

• Like 2

You don't think so? So... how do you think the airlines pay for the food? Do they magically conjure it up? It may have been an expense on their balance sheet regarded completely separately from their ticket revenues, but I assure you that you're paying for that meal in the cost of your ticket.

You don't think so? So... how do you think the airlines pay for the food? Do they magically conjure it up? It may have been an expense on their balance sheet regarded completely separately from their ticket revenues, but I assure you that you're paying for that meal in the cost of your ticket.

yes, i'm saying its magic food that they conjure up for free. Merlin retired so now they're taking it away. you should read people's posts before ripping them up with your sarcasm.

i'm saying that i don't think it will effect the end ticket price to the consumer. Continental will use the same model to price their tickets, their operating costs will go down, and it will help their bottom line. we'll fly for the same price, but not get that crappy meal.

i'm just hoping they keep the quality up on the first class meal, because its actually not bad.

would you rather pay $7 for this?

united snack boxes

or $5 for some almonds?

us air choices

i bought one once, on US Air, drove straight from work in Philly, barely made it to my gate, and had a flight to LA. i much rather have had the free stuff to hold me over and get something in LA, then pay $7, then eat again when i land cause it was barely filling anyways.

People pay hundreds of dollars for a ticket and then think they're getting free crappy food. I love it.

Look, I just want basic flight service. Anyone who wants to take on a bunch of extra bags or get free bad food, well, they can pay a premium.

But considering that extra cost multiplied several thousand times over daily caused those who provided free lunch to be less competitive with those who didn't provide lunch, it makes more sense to just dispense with the cost altogether. I like cheap tickets as much as the next guy, but when I'm faced with concession stand prices for a bag of almonds, I recognize my own culpability in the matter. I'll still use Priceline, Orbitz and Cheaptickets to get my tickets, and I'll just fill up before I hop on board. It'll be just like going to the movies - and when my pilot's a pimply faced teenager because no adult would work for what an airline can pay, I'll recognize my culpability in that too.

But I doubt ticket prices will drop by removing the cost of the food from it. wacko.gif A $400 ticket with "free" food will still be $400 after the food is gone.

Not really sure what Priceline, Orbitz, and Cheaptickets have to do with food though...

Edited by Hartmann

But I doubt ticket prices will drop by removing the cost of the food from it. wacko.gif A $400 ticket with "free" food will still be $400 after the food is gone.

Not really sure what Priceline, Orbitz, and Cheaptickets have to do with food though...

Ultra-competitive pricing is great for the consumer (strictly in terms of dollars) but bad for the airlines. In order for Continental to compete with a Southwest or a JetBlue (competition which Priceline, Orbitz and Cheaptickets forces with their itemization), they have to remove a ton of amenities. Most people couldn't care less about inflight food or even the skill level of their pilot if they can save $30 on their roundtrip.

Anyhow, my point about the food not actually being "free" is that if the food is left on the menu at no additional cost, the airlines would have to cut costs elsewhere in order to remain competitive. While I realize the price of the ticket won't go down, they probably won't now have to lay off any maintenance staff or tenured pilots.

Some buy on board programs have some "hot" options available - I would like to see Continental have some hot options - Perhaps they can only be purchased in advance over the internet so the airline knows how many hot meals that it has to give out.

For breakfast:

* Pancakes with maple syrup and small sausages

* Breakfast tacos with ground chorizo

* Ham and cheese omelet

For lunch and dinner:

* Carne asada tacos with Chili con queso and Mexican-style hot sauce

* Vietnamese bahn mi sandwich with spring rolls

* Cheeseburger with french fries or potato chips

* Chili con carne (no beans) with tortilla chips

* Potato soup (hot) and salad (cold)

Continental should be able to distinguish its own product and make more money at the same time.

Cold options (cold sandwiches, snack packs, cereal packs, etc.) could be purchased during the flight. I would like to see cheese and cracker trays with plenty of grapes.

Edited by VicMan

Poor Gordon Bethune... He built Continental back up and his "Work Hard, FlY Right" campaign was pure genius. Continental has stood apart from the pack for years. Now, like the other legacy carriers, they seem to be caught up in the race to the floor.

It started with outsourcing commuter flights away from ExpressJet. Then came the checked bag charges. A few weeks ago came the announcement about selling bulkhead and exit rows for more $$$ because they offer an extra inch here or there. Now, the food is gone.

Continental is rarely the cheapest option. In the past though, they could offer certain things that made you feel like it was worth it, and yes, a free meal can go a long way. Consider this... you're flying from Guatemala City to Boston on Continental but your connection is way too tight and immigration is backed up so you can't manage a meal in the terminal. In the past, you'd be guaranteed two light snacks for free without hassle on your 8 1/2 hour journey. Now, you're gonna have to whip out your credit card in midair and spend $7 for Twizzlers, peanuts, and other trash and be told it's a "meal."

Edited by KinkaidAlum