Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

I'm really not crazy about the idea of a dog area. There'll be wiz all over the place and it'll smell like madness.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. :angry:

More simple speculation and uninformed judgement. This is another area that was addressed in the presentation the other night... the park will be well-maintained and clean. Period.

I doubt that you've spent any time in a dog park, or you would know that they are general very clean areas and dog owners are vigilent about keeping them that way. Owners police each other and maintain the grounds... and in the case with the downtown park, their will be maintenance staff their to guarantee it stays clean.

Dog parks are great for canines... but, just as importantly, they create incredible social interaction. I've gotten to know many people - who I now consider friends - at the dog park I frequent with my labrador retriever.

Perhaps you would just prefer a dog-free, homeless-free, humidity-free, sterile environment... you know without real human interaction and experiences. If so, its called the Galleria...

Looks like a new Bridezilla >:) magnet!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, I can't WAIT for this thing to be done!

Thats what planners and architects had in mind.

GRB hosts Bridal conventions. I think Ive even seen a Prom convention held there too.

Notice the placement of "the Bandstand," which is really just a Gazebo in the Urban Garden. Its placed close to GRB along the Oak Alee, which will be the main pathway from GRB to Downtown, as it currently is right now. This puts the Gazebo in perfect sight range for the brides that will surely overtake it, come the next bridal convention. The event space next to the Gazebo was also planned for the numerous photographers that will setup shop there for these types of events. All in all, a solid plan.

Edited by tigereye

GRB hosts Bridal conventions. I think Ive even seen a Prom convention held there too.

Notice the placement of "the Bandstand," which is really just a Gazebo in the Urban Garden. Its placed close to GRB along the Oak Alee, which will be the main pathway from GRB to Downtown, as it currently is right now. This puts the Gazebo in perfect sight range for the brides that will surely overtake it, come the next bridal convention. The event space next to the Gazebo was also planned for the numerous photographers that will setup shop there for these types of events. All in all, a solid plan.

Sure hope the dogs don't wiz on them. Brides that smell like PetSmart are no bueno.

Sure hope the dogs don't wiz on them. Brides that smell like PetSmart are no bueno.

Well there you go. Look for a tie-in with America's Funniest Home Videos, too.

Those architects think of everything.

:sigh: I was just kidding around! :rolleyes:

Some people on this forum just can't handle a discussion about a new downtown park without conflict. You make a simple harmless comment and you're liable for a diatribe about American society and what's wrong with it. A lot of axes being ground around here...

Some people on this forum just can't handle a discussion about a new downtown park without conflict. You make a simple harmless comment and you're liable for a diatribe about American society and what's wrong with it. A lot of axes being ground around here...

Yes. Right.

Anyway, back to the Downtown Park. For those of you that are interested in learning more about Houston parks, the details of the new park (and want to separate fact from fiction) -- and share your comments, the president of the Houston Parks Board and the Downtown Park Conservancy Director will be speaking at the monthly ULI (Urban Land Institute) luncheon later this month. I believe it will be May 25th at the Hilton Americas... I'll find the exact details and post in the community announcements section. I highly recommend attending for those of you who could not make the park unveiling this past week...

This project is a terrific addition to our downtown area... as well as the urban core beyond. It is rather amazing what a tight timeline they are on... we easily could be enjoying this new addition to the Houston landscape within a couple of years. It is also worth noting the very generous contributions that have already been made to the new downtown park (some $40 million) by foundations and individuals in this city. I say - enthusiastically - "thank you." ;)

The biggest observation of all....a few months ago, we learned that the parcel of land that sits directly west of the park, jammed in beween the the park and "The Park Shops," was purchased and that the length of the lease suggests that some sort of development will take place there, most likely a high-rise residential component.

So The Park Shops will be cut off from the Downtown Park directly, but will have a high-rise in front of it? Does that help or hurt The Park Shops?

I was expecting at first that The Park Shops would be a boundary to the Park (partially because of the name "Park Shops"), because they're revitalizing the Shops.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

So The Park Shops will be cut off from the Downtown Park directly, but will have a high-rise in front of it? Does that help or hurt The Park Shops?

I was expecting at first that The Park Shops would be a boundary to the Park (partially because of the nake "Park Shops"), because they're revitalizing the Shops.

Yeah there will be a building between the Park shops and the new park. This could help, I believe the new building is suppose to have ground retail. So it can can connect the park to the shops then the shops to the Pavilions(about a block or two apart)and have a nice shopping district.

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

It just seems to me that when that money is spent, it should be done on street level, at storefront locations. Maybe that's just me though.

Pavillions, Park Tower and the park aren't going to be malls. I guess you are talking about the Park Shops in Houston Center which doesn't really have anything to do with the new park, and they have been there for years. So why make a hoopla now?

Pavillions, Park Tower and the park aren't going to be malls. I guess you are talking about the Park Shops in Houston Center which doesn't really have anything to do with the new park, and they have been there for years. So why make a hoopla now?

...'cause Park Shops just went through a major renovation

Technically they aren't the "Park Shops" anymore, and have not been for a couple of years. The name changed to "Shops at Houston Center" during the first phase of renovations, when the new exterior signage was added, along with the street-level retail spaces where Jos. A. Bank Clothiers and Twisted Fork are now.

They still have a way to go... with the exception of a couple of new restaurants, the Joseph A. Bank. and the gym, the in-line mall space is still really tired. There was tweaking of the exterior... but essentially it is like putting make-up on a pig. I'd call it a major renovation when the entire retail area is updated and modified...

I'm hoping the Pavilions and the new retail in the Park Tower puts more pressure on Crescent to take the renovations to the next level...

They still have a way to go... with the exception of a couple of new restaurants, the Joseph A. Bank. and the gym, the in-line mall space is still really tired. There was tweaking of the exterior... but essentially it is like putting make-up on a pig. I'd call it a major renovation when the entire retail area is updated and modified...

I'm hoping the Pavilions and the new retail in the Park Tower puts more pressure on Crescent to take the renovations to the next level...

I agree. Does anyone here see the Shops at Houston Center pointless as-is? I think it has MAD potential if it were marketed and renovated right. Sure, the main crowds are at lunch-time, but how long can it last if that's the only crowd that's coming in? And won't that crowd leave once Pavillions and the Parks Tower retail areas are completed?

Couldn't the Shops at Houston Center become another major pedestrian draw to the area to coincide with Pavillions, the park, and the other development directly surrounding it, or is the Shops overall just hopeless and a waste of money?

I agree. Does anyone here see the Shops at Houston Center pointless as-is? I think it has MAD potential if it were marketed and renovated right. Sure, the main crowds are at lunch-time, but how long can it last if that's the only crowd that's coming in? And won't that crowd leave once Pavillions and the Parks Tower retail areas are completed?

Couldn't the Shops at Houston Center become another major pedestrian draw to the area to coincide with Pavillions, the park, and the other development directly surrounding it, or is the Shops overall just hopeless and a waste of money?

The Shops at Houston Center has always been akwardly-positioned in the market...but there are two really dense clusters of office buildings downtown, and the Shops are smack dab in the middle of one of them. Very convenient if you happen to be one of the tens of thousands of people that work right around there. The Pavillions are not nearly as convenient to Houston Center as are the Shops...the Shops aren't going anywhere.

The Park Tower, hopefully, will only help to build the critical mass of retailers necessary for destination retailers to set up shop. That is the key to transforming the retail environment of Downtown Houston. Sometimes supply/demand kills off properties, but sometimes it only transforms them into a higher and better use.

• 3 weeks later...

June 4, 2006

National Perspectives

How a Park Changed a Chicago Neighborhood

By ROBERT SHAROFF

CHICAGO

MILLENNIUM PARK, the $475 million modernist playground that opened at the edge of Lake Michigan here two years ago, has quickly become one of the city's leading tourist attractions. What is less known, however, is that the 24.6-acre park

Nothing, semipro. nmainguy mistakenly put an article about Chicago's New Downtown Park in the Houston's New Downtown Park thread. It really should not be there. <_<

No mistake. I thought people might want to read how another city's new park spurned residential developement-as many are hoping our new park will.

B)