Cigarette Smoking Bans & Ordinances

hokieone

I lunched today at the Goode Co. BBQ on I-10 and was somewhat shocked when the worn-out cowboy type at the table next to me lighted up a Marlboro.

Looking around, I noticed that there were ashtrays on some of the other tables.

What gives? Is Goode Company in the City of Bunker Hill and thus not subject to the No Smoking Ordinance?

• 2 weeks later...
i have been to several places around town where smoking was permitted inside :unsure:

It was my understanding that the smoking oridinance allows smoking in bar areas. Most restuarants do not have smoking sections anymore. I too have noticed a few places that still have smoking sections. I would be interested to know why. Being a part time smoker, I like being able to smoke in the bar area (if I am out drinking). when I am dinning out I love having the whol restuarant be non smoking.

Goode Company BBQ on I-10 is not in the city of Houston. I think it is in Hedwig Village, but it may be Bunker Hill.

people smoke alot at luling bbq on richmond in HOUSTON.....there is no enforcement of that law..the restaurant manager can inforce it but the city does not...it appears to be another law that means zippity do dah....

Edited by pachanga

With the latest news from the Surgeon General "Surgeon General says the nation's workplaces should all be smoke-free", what are the odds of Katy getting a smoking ban?

I am sure that Houston will pass a complete ban within a year.

Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Proposed revisions in the city's smoking ordinance would prohibit lighting up in all enclosed places, including bars, but would allow smoking in tobacco stores and outdoor patios, according to a draft released late today.

Houston officials have discussed for months the possibility of broadening the city's smoking ban, but the ordinance put on the table today is the first official proposal.

The committee will discuss the proposed ordinance and take public comments at a meeting scheduled for 2 p.m. Thursday.

Smoking article

The entire smoking ban needs to placed in the garbage with the very dumb jackasses in positions of power that have supported it.

I love the smoking ban. If you want to pollute your shriviling lungs-take it outside. I didn't pay to breath your habit.

I love the smoking ban. If you want to pollute your shriviling lungs-take it outside. I didn't pay to breath your habit.

You are forever stuck on stupid. I dont smoke, jackass!

I also dont like the constant errosion of personal freedoms because i know where that is heading and it isnt a good place. Start with something like this that many people can rally around and it will get them used to giving up freedoms. You probably are unable to see that because it hasnt been told to you by a reporter........AMAZING

nmain, smoking and drinking kind of go together like peanut butter and jelly, peas and carrots, bananas and nilla wafers, dropping acid and watching Pink Floyd's The Wall (not that I've ever done that) cough*15 times*cough. I totally disagree with the smoking ban in bars. Restaurants, I agree, ban it in restaurants, but if your restaurant has a bar, and 51% of the income generated comes from the bar, then smoking should be allowed. B)

btw, I am NOT a smoker either, and never have been. I do like to partake of the firewater though, so I know what to expect when I walk into a bar though.

Edited by TJones

I also dont like the constant errosion of personal freedoms because i know where that is heading and it isnt a good place. Start with something like this that many people can rally around and it will get them used to giving up freedoms. You probably are unable to see that because it hasnt been told to you by a reporter........AMAZING

I'm with you all the way on this one.

The only person who has the right to decide whether a smoking ban should be in effect is the proprietor of the individual establishment. It is up to the customer to determine whether or not they want to be there.

...this coming from a non-smoker whose nostrils are so sensitive that even a few hours around my dad, who smokes but not in my presence, somehow retain a noxious aroma of Winstons for over a week. I can't stand it, but it's my choice to be around him just as much as it is my choice to avoid smokey bars.

Having said this, I'm willing to go with the ordinance that requires that smokers do their thing some distance away from the entrances to buildings...especially public buildings.

I am on that point also, it really should be the Proprietor's choice. This boils down to them trying to tell you, you can't smoke in your own home. If the owner wants to run the risk of losing business because he allows smoking, then that is his risk, if someone is so offended by smoking, or scared they will lose a lung form second-hand, then don't go in there, or get your food to go if you really need that pasta primavera, or salami on rye.

It's a little early in the day, isn't it luna-boy? :wacko:

It's a public health issue.

man I see everyone's point in here. And God knows I am not for more governmental control. But dude is right it is a public health issue not a private rights issue.

How can you consider a publically accesible establishment a private one?

And it becomes a public issue the minute you exhale toxic fumes.

Edited by westguy76

man I see everyone's point in here. And God knows I am not for more governmental control. But dude is right it is a public health issue not a private rights issue.

west, it is a privately owned establishment, that has public access. They are providing a service to you, you don't have to give them your patronage if you don't want, in turn, they shouldn't have to cater to individual needs. They should be allowed to set up shop as they see fit, as long as they have the proper licenses in place, i.e. Liquor, food, taxes, whatnot. It is not against the law to smoke, therefore, they should not be forced to change the way they do business to satisfy something that is not against the law, if you are concerned about pbulic health, then eat at an establishment where the owner doesn't want smoking in his place. It is simply something that should not be forced onto owners, it may cause their business to suffer, or it may not, the choice should be left up to them.

What if there were a smoking only restaurant ordinance, and you were forced to smoke if you walk through the door. Is that fair ? Are you gonna go into that establishment ?

Edited by TJones

west, it is a privately owned establishment, that has public access. They are providing a service to you, you don't have to give them your patronage if you don't want, in turn, they shouldn't have to cater to individual needs. They should be allowed to set up shop as they see fit, as long as they have the proper licenses in place, i.e. Liquor, food, taxes, whatnot. It is not against the law to smoke, therefore, they should not be forced to change the way they do business to satisfy something that is not against the law, if you are concerned about pbulic health, then eat at an establishment where the owner doesn't want smoking in his place. It is simply something that should not be forced onto owners, it may cause their business to suffer, or it may not, the choice should be left up to them.

What if there were a smoking only restaurant ordinance, and you were forced to smoke if you walk through the door. Is that fair ? Are you gonna go into that establishment ?

ok then the problem is that it is a ban, not a law prohibiting smoking in public places, or privately owned and ran public places. semantics..

i'm in for a law that makes it illegal for someone to against my will damage my health along with there own in a place where i can not control it.

that to me is infringing on my rights. you say go somewhere else. i say that is discrimination,.

Where does it end?

Edited by westguy76

And it becomes a public issue the minute you exhale toxic fumes.

I suppose you are right. Can I count on all of your support when I propose to City Council that private automobiles be banned in favor of mass transit? Because, it IS a public health issue. It becomes a public issue the minute you leave your driveway.