100 N. Jackson

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I really wish we could get rid of the word "eyesore". It's completely meaningless and has been used far too often to describe buildings that are worth saving.

Was this little warehouse worth saving? No, of course not. But that word still rubs me the wrong way, and I'm holding off on judgement of how positive its removal is until I see what replaces it. Nothing is worse than a vacant lot. Nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I really wish we could get rid of the word "eyesore". It's completely meaningless and has been used far too often to describe buildings that are worth saving.

Was this little warehouse worth saving? No, of course not. But that word still rubs me the wrong way, and I'm holding off on judgement of how positive its removal is until I see what replaces it. Nothing is worse than a vacant lot. Nothing.

A lot with a derelict building with a collapsing roof is far worse than a vacant lot. As is a lot with piles of rubble or 42 disintegrating old boats. Losing a metal building in poor condition on the North end of Downtown strikes me as a positive move, since it makes it simpler to build something later.

• Like 1

Again, I largely agree with that. I just think "it's an eyesore" gets used WAY too often to excuse razing something of value. It's also not really a serious complaint. It's a safety hazard? That's a serious complaint. "I don't enjoy looking at that"? Big freaking deal. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 9:11 PM, HoustonIsHome said:

I totally agree. I mean what does eyesore mean? I really don't like that word, it's overuse, and the theory that if some people don't like looking at things it must be torn down.

I do agree that safety is another issue

Eyesore means poorly designed or aesthetically displeasing to the eye. Not saying this place had to sparkle like the Taj Majal but even places like this can carry an appeal that doesn’t take away from the surrounding area. We talk about it all the time on this forum how the city is fixing mistakes from poor development. Ugly stucco strip malls lining busy corridors instead of more aesthetically pleasing materials like brick. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 8:07 PM, hindesky said:

Talked with a worker, asked what they were building and he said "Bar". Lots of the times they don't really know what they're building.

aVona3b.jpg

Someone said it was going to be a brewery at one point.  Either way, across the street from the "sobering center", I anticipate there will be some social media photo ops with the sign. 

• Haha 3