3.39-Acres For Sale At 2001 Hermann Dr.

According to his Wikipedia topic. Seems he could see there was more money in developing than working for the city of Miami.

Career[edit]

Pérez was an economic development director with the city of Miami before he entered the real estate business and became a developer.[10][12] In 1979, he founded Related Group[13] with New York builder Stephen M. Ross. Pérez built his fortune by building and operating low-income multifamily apartments across Miami. The firm became the largest affordable housing builder in Florida by the middle of the decade.[10] He then branched off into rental apartments before becoming one of the most prolific high-rise condo builders in the Southern United States. Pérez has owned 50 condo towers in various stages of completion in South Florida, Fort Myers and Las Vegas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_M._Pérez

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

According to his Wikipedia topic. Seems he could see there was more money in developing than working for the city of Miami.

Career[edit]

Pérez was an economic development director with the city of Miami before he entered the real estate business and became a developer.[10][12] In 1979, he founded Related Group[13] with New York builder Stephen M. Ross. Pérez built his fortune by building and operating low-income multifamily apartments across Miami. The firm became the largest affordable housing builder in Florida by the middle of the decade.[10] He then branched off into rental apartments before becoming one of the most prolific high-rise condo builders in the Southern United States. Pérez has owned 50 condo towers in various stages of completion in South Florida, Fort Myers and Las Vegas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_M._Pérez

His projects are super high quality now, I love this new complex he built in Coral Gables a few years ago. He's a big art collector and his projects usually include something so finges crossed! 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, iah77 said:

His projects are super high quality now, I love this new complex he built in Coral Gables a few years ago. He's a big art collector and his projects usually include something so finges crossed! 

On 12/9/2021 at 9:08 AM, J Money said:

Fingers crossed for a gas station or self storage facility 

Prediction...

big-tex.jpg

• Haha 6

• The title was changed to Related Companies Acquires 3-Acres At 2001 Hermann Dr.
  • 1 month later...
On 5/3/2022 at 1:36 PM, toxtethogrady said:

Seems like Related's a pretty big name, so that suggests highrise and residential...

I've worked with Related a few times.  Nice people, at least to me.  Very deep pockets.  Not afraid to splash out on big buildings and big-name architects in other cities.

Hopefully this project gets the same treatment.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, editor said:

I've worked with Related a few times.  Nice people, at least to me.  Very deep pockets.  Not afraid to splash out on big buildings and big-name architects in other cities.

Hopefully this project gets the same treatment.

Related Group or Related Companies? 

I can see something extravagant get built here. Its in front of a huge park in the heart of the city, surrounded by high-rises, unobstructed views of the medical center and downtown. 1 light away from a major highway. This would be prime luxury!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've had a number of buildings go up, particularly around the Galleria (and I guess Allen Parkway too?), that incorporate in some way those...fins? Naked-looking balconies? Is that what's all the rage? They make the building look like what we thought, in films, was futuristic back in the 1960s. I don't dislike it, I'm just trying to figure it out.

Can we all pour one out for that medical building before we move on to the towers? Everyone and their mother in the healthcare community kicked the tires on that one. In the end the building was just a tad bit too old, and the price of land was just a tad bit too high. And a lot of people tried to make it work. It was kind of in the in-between: too big to be an ASC/specialty hospital and too small/weirdly put together to fit the ambitions of the mid-major healthcare people looking for a signature hospital without a good amount of reno. So when we're wondering about what it will be, it will most certainly be something big and tall otherwise private equity-type pockets would have gutted it and it would be some type of medical space by now. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, X.R. said:

Can we all pour one out for that medical building before we move on to the towers? Everyone and their mother in the healthcare community kicked the tires on that one. In the end the building was just a tad bit too old, and the price of land was just a tad bit too high. And a lot of people tried to make it work. It was kind of in the in-between: too big to be an ASC/specialty hospital and too small/weirdly put together to fit the ambitions of the mid-major healthcare people looking for a signature hospital without a good amount of reno. So when we're wondering about what it will be, it will most certainly be something big and tall otherwise private equity-type pockets would have gutted it and it would be some type of medical space by now. 

As long as it’s not the good stuff we’re pouring out, sure. 

The old spine hospital on Calumet between Crawford and La Branch (just to the north of the X Houston site) is in a a similar boat, I think. My understanding is the OR’s are too small to realistically be used for much of anything other than injections, which limits the buyer pool to pain management and cosmetic. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...