Montrose Multifamily: 13-Story Building At 1920 W. Alabama St.

Urbannizer

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Millennium at Midtown: Apartments at 1920 West Alabama
  • 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Millennium At Midtown: Apartments At 1920 West Alabama St.
  • 5 months later...
On 3/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, CREguy13 said:

Can you say 30 floors with ground floor retail.... Hopefully they can get this financed soon with all the economic activity starting to occur in Houston and the high demand for living in this area. 

Hope the design fits the neighborhood obviously, but wow does Montrose continue to blow up with great height, density and quality of businesses, restaurants.

https://verosade.com/projects/

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but is there a thread on the West Alabama project they have listed on their site?

ANMpuSi.png

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Montrose Multifamily: 13-Story Building At 1920 West Alabama St.
50 minutes ago, hindesky said:

This is the W. Alabama render we saw last week. Across from Tacos Tierra Caliente and next to the future Kipling apartments by Allen Harrison.

Architects - https://www.theprestonpartnership.com

RPGnqjw.png

Just to be clear, this rendering is not the design for their West Alabama project.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, hindesky said:

The reason I think it might be is that Us Living and Vero Sade are connected. The Vero Sade description in their render and the TDLR description are the same. Of course renders rarely are what is built.

https://www.us-living.com

kMbaGA6.png

The rendering they used is the backside of their Heights project. I take it we’ll see the real thing closer to construction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paco Jones said:

Just to add to the confusion...

The renderings shown on the Vero Sade website for Heights and W. Alabama are the same renderings and are are for the Heights project.  I don't know what the W. Alabama project looks like yet, but perhaps it's similar.

Just like the Novare Group who used the same design for all their SkyHouse buildings around the nation. I guess that makes economic sense.

• Like 1

Designs may be the similar as they share  the same architect and number of stories though I doubt it’ll be copy n paste like Novare Group’s Skyhouses- this site is more narrow than the one for The Heights.

Preston’s design portfolio is a bit all over the place so who knows. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

The reason I think it might be is that Us Living and Vero Sade are connected. The Vero Sade description in their render and the TDLR description are the same. Of course renders rarely are what is built.

https://www.us-living.com

kMbaGA6.png

I'd have to push back on that last sentence. Its not rare that renders are rarely are what is built, its that renders that don't convey what is possible are rarely built. I also think this forum is a double edge sword in some ways. Its great that laypeople get a chance to see the evolution of projects, but at the same time the first image that's shown is what ends up being their (the average layperson's) vision of the project, and if they don't keep up with the process then by the time something is built and they see it built for the first time since an initial render in predesign then they ask why something doesn't look like the render. The question is, what render? The render from a week before construction only distributed in-house, or the pre-design render or design documentation render that was floated to city council as a one off to clear a hurdle. Big difference. Most projects actually do look like their renders. Sometimes you can gauge a quality of a project by its render, and sometimes you just can't. Especially with rising costs these days, and with improvements to realtime rendering, the client is not going to begin construction unless they see an updated render on the eve of construction.

3 hours ago, Paco Jones said:

Just to add to the confusion...

The renderings shown on the Vero Sade website for Heights and W. Alabama are the same renderings and are are for the Heights project.  I don't know what the W. Alabama project looks like yet, but perhaps it's similar.

I think I said this in a previous post, but if Preston is designing both and Us Living is a partner of Vero Sade then it stands to believe that Preston is the architect for both which owns the instruments of service and design copyright for one which could be used for the other (aka why we can have two copies of Skyhouse). I'd imagine the company wants to do multiples and make it known that they are building these as one type of branded theme, scheme, or idea. The sites are very different, and I'm not a fan of duplicate designs even for the same client, but aesthetics can be the same just the forms would have to be adjusted. I haven't seen anything in the Heights renders that tells me that that design is so specific to the Heights that it can't be transferred over. It certainly can be done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paco Jones said:

Hello and thank you for your reply.  You make very good points and I don't disagree with you.

I would like to add some clarification, though.  The renderings that I shared for the Heights project are true to the Heights project itself.  They are part of the DD drawings (5th progressive set) and are reflective of the Architectural and Structural plan sets.  I thought this information might be helpful so that others would know that the renderings were not found by themselves somewhere and are part of the construction documents.

It is very possible that the renderings could be used as a basis of design for future developments, though.  There are a few additional elevations for the Heights project that are provided as cost saving alternate pricing deductions to the base construction cost (and schedule).  So it would make sense to start with a base conception for future developments and then simply make changes on the overall building to accommodate the site and location.  It would give the developer a good price point to work with when establishing the overall cost budget

Thank you.

That all makes sense to me. Good clarification on your part. Definitely the Heights project was developed first, and probably during discussions they said, we like this project hey by the way we have this other property that we would like to develop as well. Can we use this as a base for the next project?

This happens a lot. In fact I'm currently working on a project where we are taking a basic apartment layout from a previous job and moving it to another job, but just doing a reskin. It is what it is. If a form or aesthetic works and is profitable then its something worth repeating. Alexan, Pearl, Hanover do this as well. Its just how the market works especially when margins are tight, but you want to pump out a lot of units and projects.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Montrose Multifamily: 13-Story Building At 1920 W. Alabama St.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Goddamn, that looks fun and that amenity list is insane. The whole boxy designs with aggressively designed balconies is a thing in Houston now, huh. Plus the "lets put this on pillars and make show them off like midriff." 

• Like 1

Oh hell yes. Put it into my veins. 

Nextdoor comments are going to be as spicy as Tierra Caliente's hot sauce. 

I have to think that the "open" portion of the building is going to face west and not into the neighborhood. I'm surprised the render doesn't include a banner that says "Trader Joe's one block away!".

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, X.R. said:

The whole boxy designs with aggressively designed balconies is a thing in Houston now, huh. Plus the "lets put this on pillars and make show them off like midriff." 

I love it. It's modern without being overly trendy. I love the pillars separating the residences from the garage- it breaks up the visual massing. And, generally I hate stucco in mid/high-rise construction. But in the instances when it's been used in this kind of building, I think it works.

Regardless, it's a million times better than building massive city block-sized buildings with cheap post-modern bastardized takes on Italian or Spanish architecture.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fence guys have moved over here now. They told me they are still waiting on the gates for the 3615 Montrose project. I told them about the Allen Harrison Kipling project going up next to this, I wonder which one will break ground sooner? A separate crew is marking the boundaries. 

sS7OXJH.jpg

DY39zoq.jpg

• Like 5