Central Bank At 2217 Milam St.

Brooklyn173

On a Sunday stroll, I noticed a drilling rig doing what looked to me like soil samples in the Central Bank parking lot between Milam and Travis (2217 Milam but the drilling was closer to Travis) in Midtown. The bank occupies the entire block. Pix attached. This is across the street from the new bar, Pour Behavior, that is supposed to open this winter at 2211 Travis St.

I’m not sure what is going on there. Does anyone have any insights/baseless rumors?

20180916_130528.jpg

20 hours ago, HNathoo said:

I’ve heard this is an apartment deal. I believe it might be the Morgan group. 

How many Pearl’s is Midtown gonna have? 

Pearl on Travis, Pearl Midtown, Pearl Midtown West (Whole Foods), Pearl on Helena, now possibly another one?

Edited by tigereye

Pearl has been gradually increasing their height (Pearl on Helena at 12 stories) and quality (Whole Foods GFR at Pearl Midtown West). Hopefully this one has some GFR, which would nicely complement the Randall's across the street. Wouldn't be surprised if it faced Randall's and away from the Greyhound.

*Note: I did not say that it HAS TO have GFR. I would be okay with it not having GFR since it is not on Main Street or facing a park. :)

I wonder how long Randalls will last here. With Whole Foods coming and the very limited size of the grocery and their larger corporate issues, I don't think this Randalls is long for the world. I read a while back about Golds Gym (and the other gyms part of that company) looking to expand into vacant retail spaces. I think that would be a nice addition to the community.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:31 PM, Brooklyn173 said:

I wonder how long Randalls will last here. With Whole Foods coming and the very limited size of the grocery and their larger corporate issues, I don't think this Randalls is long for the world. I read a while back about Golds Gym (and the other gyms part of that company) looking to expand into vacant retail spaces. I think that would be a nice addition to the community.

Randalls is cheaper than whole Foods and 

A bit closer to all the new downtown residents than whole foods. When I worked downtown I went to Randalls a few times a week because it was a convenient walk. I doubt I would have bothered to go to WF if the Randalls was not there. Whole Foods is a start; I welcome the addition, but it's just not my thing and I doubt Randalls will lose much if any business due to whole foods. I doubt fiesta would either.

Now a full service HEB would be a different story. Whole foods, Central Market would put a nearby Phoenicia out of business but not a Randalls.

• 2 years later...

The Central Bank branch on Milam closed on January 8, 2021 (according to their website). The gates around the parking lot have not been opened since then. Not surprisingly, the local homeless population have moved into the covered area under the drive thru.

Does anyone know if a new project is coming along or is this just a case of a bank closing a branch?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

. The gates around the parking lot have not been opened since then. Not surprisingly, the local homeless population have moved into the covered area under the drive thru.

Not very effective gates

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Central Bank On Milam In Midtown
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Central Bank At 2217 Milam St.
  • 3 months later...