Guest Plastic

On 12/11/2017 at 8:00 PM, tigereye said:

I believe Crane’s end game is similar to the deal the Rockies just got. As part of a deal to extend their Coors Field lease for 30 years, they’ll get to develop a block across the street with a team HOF, restaurant, retail, entertainment & residential components. It’s similar to what the Cardinals have done with Ballpark Village, the Braves with The Battery, and what the Rangers will be doing with Texas Live. 

Note: The Rockies will be doing this all on one city block, which is similar in size to block 161 that Crane has here. 

Buried in the Chronicle’s article is the first mention of a ballpark village in downtown. The reroute is brought up but Crane already owns property on block 161.

Rerouting U.S. 59 and Interstate 45 below grade on the stadium's southwest side could open areas for a possible ballpark village, Ryan indicated.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-plans-future-improvements-Minute-Maid-Park-13061261.php

3 minutes ago, lockmat said:

So in 50 years if/when they have to tear down and rebuild, most likely there won’t be available land. I wonder what they’ll do, where they’ll go.

We don’t have to tear down and rebuild... look at Fenway and Wrigley. I’m hoping Minute Maid becomes like those historic stadiums one day. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, pablog said:

We don’t have to tear down and rebuild... look at Fenway and Wrigley. I’m hoping Minute Maid becomes like those historic stadiums one day. 

I hope you’re right. Primarily because I don’t want tax payers paying for another one.

8 hours ago, lockmat said:

So in 50 years if/when they have to tear down and rebuild, most likely there won’t be available land. I wonder what they’ll do, where they’ll go.

No where. As previously stated, keep Minute Maid and renovate. Or if a new ballpark is a must, since there might not be a better site available by then, demolish MMP and build a new ballpark on the same site. (which would require the Astros playing elsewhere during construction. Tottenham & Chelsea are utilizing these methods to create their new stadiums on the same site.  

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 0:01 AM, pablog said:

I am by no means a baseball stadium expert, but I've been to a few.

MMP has a feel when you walk through the doors (especially onto the concourse behind left field). It's a hum, and it feels like baseball. I got that feel at Wrigley, I got that feel at a few other parks I've been to. The Astrodome never had that. 

It doesn't feel like a 20 year old stadium, and I hope it continues to feel like baseball.

On 7/10/2018 at 0:16 AM, lockmat said:

I hope you’re right. Primarily because I don’t want tax payers paying for another one.

I too would be quite happy to not have to pay for another stadium.

That being said, there is an amount of money that these teams bring into the city. 

traveling fans bring money and pay taxes.

the stadium naming rights is worth millions (Minute Maid paid $100 million for their 20 year deal when Enron flaked).

not to mention civic recognition. I wonder how many people decided to move to a new town because of what they saw of the town through one of the sporting events they attended? 

I don't like it, and I will grumble, but the economics make sense. So long as the team doesn't get you to pay for upgrades on the current stadium, then leaves 5 years later because they really wanted a new stadium. - I still don't understand why anyone who lives in Houston would ever cheer for the Titans.

Edited by samagon

On 10/2/2018 at 1:04 PM, samagon said:

I still don't understand why anyone who lives in Houston would ever cheer for the Titans.

Is that really a thing? Given how widely despised Bud Adams was for uprooting the Oilers and decamping to Tennessee, I can't imagine any real Houstonian doing anything other than spitting whenever they speak of the Titans. 

On 10/3/2018 at 3:58 PM, mkultra25 said:

Is that really a thing? Given how widely despised Bud Adams was for uprooting the Oilers and decamping to Tennessee, I can't imagine any real Houstonian doing anything other than spitting whenever they speak of the Titans. 

it was, I think most fans are now texans fans.

I had friends who cheered for the titans, their explanation was that the players were still oilers. It was a silly excuse.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:46 AM, samagon said:

it was, I think most fans are now texans fans.

I had friends who cheered for the titans, their explanation was that the players were still oilers. It was a silly excuse.

I rooted for the Titans until we have got the Texans, but if I'm honest, there's still a tiny piece of my heart that is still with the Titans, very tiny. I was a kid when they moved and Bud Adams didn't mean anything to me, I was a fan of the team. If you're best friend moves to another city do you stop being their friend? 'course not.

13 minutes ago, lockmat said:

I rooted for the Titans until we have got the Texans, but if I'm honest, there's still a tiny piece of my heart that is still with the Titans, very tiny. I was a kid when they moved and Bud Adams didn't mean anything to me, I was a fan of the team. If you're best friend moves to another city do you stop being their friend? 'course not.

I think that is the difference. I was not an adult, I was only barely out of high school. 

what I saw was the guy threw a tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted and took his ball to a different town. Do I want to maintain that relationship? Nah.

what I think most adults saw was that not only did he throw a tantrum, but he had just held the city hostage to make major improvements to his stadium that didn't seem to benefit anyone else. when they said no, he decided to take his ball to another town. I guess some people were okay maintaining that relationship though.

anyway, 'stros moving on to the next series :) woowoo!

3 hours ago, samagon said:

I think that is the difference. I was not an adult, I was only barely out of high school. 

what I saw was the guy threw a tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted and took his ball to a different town. Do I want to maintain that relationship? Nah.

what I think most adults saw was that not only did he throw a tantrum, but he had just held the city hostage to make major improvements to his stadium that didn't seem to benefit anyone else. when they said no, he decided to take his ball to another town. I guess some people were okay maintaining that relationship though.

anyway, 'stros moving on to the next series :) woowoo!

Houston: Bud Adams moves the Oilers to Tennessee, and a lot of people remain fans.

Baltimore: Bob Irsay moves the Colts to Indianapolis, and, well, people are still steamed many years after the fact.

irsay.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't find anything to link yet, but Channel 13 just announced the Astros have bought the land adjacent to Minute Maid park (where the blue house and train are currently located) for $17 million.  They didn't say what is was going to be used for - it seemed like their teleprompter went off or something as they kind of babbled the last few comments - they did mention Hilton Americas was involved

New topic here:  

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 6:20 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

I can't find anything to link yet, but Channel 13 just announced the Astros have bought the land adjacent to Minute Maid park (where the blue house and train are currently located) for $17 million.  They didn't say what is was going to be used for - it seemed like their teleprompter went off or something as they kind of babbled the last few comments - they did mention Hilton Americas was involved

New topic here:  

Our local media is slow. Culture Map first mentioned Crane owning block 161 back in 2016. 

On 11/4/2017 at 10:40 AM, tigereye said:

Reminder that Crane owns 2 buildings on Texas south of Home Plate (probably the bars on block 161. With Nau Center for Heritage dead, could this be the spot? 

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-30-16-astros-owner-gives-the-inside-scoop-on-his-two-new-restaurants-near-minute-maid-park/#slide=0

When the MMP lease was renewed in 2018, it was again mentioned as being possibly earmarked for ballpark village plans. 

On 7/9/2018 at 11:34 PM, tigereye said:

Buried in the Chronicle’s article is the first mention of a ballpark village in downtown. The reroute is brought up but Crane already owns property on block 161.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-plans-future-improvements-Minute-Maid-Park-13061261.php

Astros may now own the halfway house site currently being bulldozed. 

To recap: Stros now have land outside Home Plate and Center Field gates. 

On 12/17/2019 at 12:27 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

A Cherry representative said Minute Maid is the new owner. I’m not sure if that means the Harris County Houston Sports Authority or Crane and the team.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Minute Maid Park
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am sure the Astros are focused on revenue generating improvements, but the park has needed a paint job for years and several of the windows in Union Station are rotting.  I wonder if they have any plans for general maintenance.  I would hate to see a historic structure fall into disrepair.  Does the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority require any minimum repairs from the Astros?  I took other similar pictures, but they were too large to load.   

IMG_8571.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2020 at 9:41 AM, ttuchris said:

I am sure the Astros are focused on revenue generating improvements, but the park has needed a paint job for years and several of the windows in Union Station are rotting.  I wonder if they have any plans for general maintenance.  I would hate to see a historic structure fall into disrepair.  Does the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority require any minimum repairs from the Astros?  I took other similar pictures, but they were too large to load.   

IMG_8571.jpg

They really should try to incorporate a little blue in the building paint scheme since it is the team colors. I also think it be neat if they made the outfield seats blue or at least some portion of the seating blue.

• 6 months later...
18 hours ago, hindesky said:

Looks like they might have done some work to the Phillips 66 homer run count sign. All in preparation for Thurs. nights opener against the Oakland A's.

Hopefully they've given it a tune-up, because it's gonna get a workout if the boys continue the beatdown they've put on the A's in the first three games of the opening series in Oakland.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Astros owner Jim Crane talks planned expansion surrounding Minute Maid Park

Danielle LernerStaff writer
Nov. 5, 2021

Astros owner Jim Crane said Friday that construction on a ballpark entertainment district surrounding Minute Maid Park is set to begin “probably within 12 months.”

The Astros’ lease with Minute Maid Park runs through 2050, and in 2019 the club purchased 1.738 acres of land surrounding the downtown ballpark with intentions of building a mixed-use development. Crane on Friday referenced the over $100 million the team has spent renovating areas like the Gallagher Club and Ultra Club inside the stadium, and said the next goal is to create an entertainment district in the area around Union Station and the now-closed Home Plate Bar & Grill.

The Texas Department of Transportation’s plan to reroute a portion U.S. 59 and Interstate 45 underground on the stadium’s southwest side, part of the North Houston Highway Improvement Project, will also clear room for the Astros to build.

“That whole area will turn into an entertainment area like a ballpark village like the Atlanta Braves, like the Cardinals, and some of the other teams,” Crane said. “We think that will bring a lot of people downtown. The area continues to improve around us. When we came in there was an old boarded up building where those apartments are. So I think this is going to be the spot. If they get the freeway done and it goes underground that’s going to be a park, so this area’s going to be a primetime area down the road for everybody to come down and enjoy the ballpark. And I think a lot more people are moving downtown which also helps us. So everything looks good, on the bright side.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-Jim-Crane-expansion-Minute-Maid-Park-16596664.php

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...