Pizza in Houston

I scanned this thread quickly, so I am not sure if anyone said this BUT it really depends on what kind of pizza you like. I am from the northeast and grew up on a certain kind of pizza. My husband is from S Texas and likes a different kind. He loves STAR PIZZA. I can tolerate it, but would rather have New York Pizzeria. I think it's the best in town (for my tastes). We both enjoy Cadelari's and it's BYOB!!

As everyone said, Star is excellent. I also love Candellaries. I used to hang out at the Continental Club on Wednesdays and they would always have Candelaries pizza. It was excellent. Of course maybe it was because I was starving after a night of several cocktails :D

As everyone said, Star is excellent. I also love Candellaries. I used to hang out at the Continental Club on Wednesdays and they would always have Candelaries pizza. It was excellent. Of course maybe it was because I was starving after a night of several cocktails :D

All the times I've pre-partied, partied and post-partied at Shepherd Plaza back in the day...I've never eaten at Star. My wife says it is awesome.

I took a date to Barry's Pizza before (before I got married, I think), we got the supreme and I remember it was quite good. I like Frank's downtown but I dig Barry's a bit better even if they're not open as late as the former.

Someone mentioned CostCo some posts back...yeah, their slices are actually better than OK.

The sick thing is...I actually prefer frozen pizza like DiGiorno's over going to a parlor or getting delivery. Man, I'm getting hungry for a slice or two...

Edited by worldlyman

For those out in Sugar Land, Pepperoni's is the best non-chain neighborhood pizzaria around. They've been around for a while and have been expanding in the area over the last 5 years. I think there are seven now. Try the lunch special they tout as the best in Fort Bend. I eat there about once a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Ponzo's in Midtown is good - NY Style

Romano's in the West Gray Center is good - NY Style

Frank's Pizza Downtown by Cabo's is good - NY Style

BJ's Brewery Pizza is damned good - Chicago-style

Brother's Pizza is good - NY-style

Doubledave's is good. - Austin-style

Birra Poretti's was very good - Houston Irish-Italian Style

Fuzzy's is good

Kinneally's is good thin crust (ever try the corned beef pizza?) - Irish Pub Grub Style

Napolis is good - NY Style

Collina's is good pizza, is it still BYOB? - Italian Style

Mario's Flying Pizza on Galveston Island...good pizza. - NY Style

Star Pizza is the most constantly overrated pizza in Houston, IMHO. Gave it two tries just to make sure...nothing special there. I found it to be quite bland. Of course, I may not have had their 'signature' pizza.

Gonna have to try Dolce Vita, I love good prosciutto pizza. Reminds me of my European escapade.

Edited by mrfootball

• 1 year later...

Baby Leita's Pizza in Cypress is great. They have real Chicago deep dish, and an incredible thin crust. The deep dish takes about 45 min. which is to be expected. They also have Italian beefs and pasta dishes. All are great. They are also an BYOB.

Ponzo's in Midtown is good - NY Style

Romano's in the West Gray Center is good - NY Style

Frank's Pizza Downtown by Cabo's is good - NY Style

BJ's Brewery Pizza is damned good - Chicago-style

Brother's Pizza is good - NY-style

Doubledave's is good. - Austin-style

Birra Poretti's was very good - Houston Irish-Italian Style

Fuzzy's is good

Kinneally's is good thin crust (ever try the corned beef pizza?) - Irish Pub Grub Style

Napolis is good - NY Style

Collina's is good pizza, is it still BYOB? - Italian Style

Mario's Flying Pizza on Galveston Island...good pizza. - NY Style

Star Pizza is the most constantly overrated pizza in Houston, IMHO. Gave it two tries just to make sure...nothing special there. I found it to be quite bland. Of course, I may not have had their 'signature' pizza.

Gonna have to try Dolce Vita, I love good prosciutto pizza. Reminds me of my European escapade.

Double Dave's blows. Pep rolls are interesting, but too greasy. The pizza is on par with Chucky Cheese.

The others on your list are all among my favorites, though.

I was going to the New York Pizzeria on Beechnut at Meyerland Plaza for a while but I got turned off by the slovenliness of the young, mostly male, staff, even the very young evening manager. It's no fun eating out if, when you see a waiter or busboy headed your way, you wonder if his pants are going to fall down or if you should hold your breath until he passes by. The food also seemed to go downhill but to be fair I never encountered anything like that at the NYP on Holcombe @ Greenbriar, but that location is not so convenient.

Thin crust is the style I prefer and I think what they serve at Romano's on West Gray is better than NYP but the best thin crust I've had in Houston was at Napoli Flying Pizza on Beechnut at Rice. There are several locations around town of that one, too.

Edited by brucesw

• 8 months later...

Tried New York Pizzeria at Westheimer. Had a terrible experience. If this is the Franchise Corporate location, can you imagine the other locations? Where do I start with. Pizza was soggy. Bad service. Bathrooms were dirty. Ingredients was slim. Price too high for the slim ingredients. I will take my business elsewhere. I love Star Pizza.

• 2 months later...
I'm new to town and was wondering where in Houston can i get great pizza. Please help! Dominoes, Pizza Hut,Mr. Gatti's is not an option.

You might try Corelli's Italian Restaurant. They have a Galleria and Sugar Land location that I know of. Their selection is not extensive, but I've never had a bad one.

I've always been a big chi-town pizza eater

cosigning on:

Candelari's at the end of washington ave.

Barry's at richmond & fountainview

And if you need to sober up after a night of partying,

I'd reccomend Late Night Pie off tuam west of bagby st

If you like chicago dogs, I discovered the Hot Dog Shop in NW houston by the beltway is on point.

:D

I agree with Star, though I like the Shepard location.

Spanky's is very good--on 610 South Loop at Woodridge (?).

You read my mind exactly! the Star Pizza across from Shepard Plaza is the ultimate!

and even after 30 plus years Spanky's on Woodridge by Gulfgate is still the most of the most absolute killer pizza! Gauranteed to make you smile as they roll you out the front door. Once you try the hand-tossed supreme, you will be lusting for it for eternity! :P

Here is Star Pizza on Shepard:

starpizza.jpg

Here, everyone take a slice!

AFB063.jpg?size=572&uid={482E4B94-384E-43F2-8A38-62C86FBCB675}

• 2 weeks later...