Randall's/Fiesta Supermarkets History

Ashikaga

It depends on what the other half is.  :P

I find it nearly impossible to find grape leaves anywhere but Fiesta.

Looking for grape leaves (and other middle eastern foods) at reasonable prices? Try Droubi's. They also sell shawarmas and falafel which are very good. Their baklava is 50 cents per piece!! WOW! And I buy Romano & Parmesan cheese there for about $6 per pound instead of paying $11/lb & more at other stores. Check out their bulk products -- olives, nuts, dates, all at reasonable prices.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of all the grocery chains in Houston, both past and present, Fiesta is my favorite. We normally shop at the one on I-10 at Blalock or the one at Willowbrook, but even the older, less appealing stores like the one on Shepherd at 25th usually has nice produce. I love going to the Farmer

You're right about Droubi's.  I actually know them (I am half Lebanese).  But, they only have the one location, so unless you live nearby, Fiesta is usually closer.

They actually have several locations, although yeah, not as many as fiesta. It's worth a trip every once in a while if you're looking for those kinds of things at a good price. Droubi's locations

Of course Fiesta might be just as reasonable -- I never shop there because there's not one near me. I've also never been to the farmer's market on Airline, but have been thinking I ought to pay them a visit. Is it worth getting up super early on Sat morning?

You're right about Droubi's.  I actually know them (I am half Lebanese).  But, they only have the one location, so unless you live nearby, Fiesta is usually closer.

I think Droubi's has more than one location. According to switchboard.com there's listings on Hillcroft and S. Voss, as well as Kirby. Haven't been to the other locations, however.

Did you know that Marlo Thomas is a Lebanese thesbian? :lol:

Don't some of the Antones carry a lot of the same things also? 

In some cases I've been able to find some oddball things at Whole Foods, but they are a bit expensive.

Yeah, the original actual Antones do carry some of that -- I think there's one on Kirby & O.S.T. Most of the other Antones are just sandwich shops now (franchises?) so they don't carry any of the groceries.

And yes, they have those water pipes at the Droubi's on Hillcroft near Bissonnet which I think is their main location.

They actually have several locations, although yeah, not as many as fiesta. It's worth a trip every once in a while if you're looking for those kinds of things at a good price.  Droubi's locations

Of course Fiesta might be just as reasonable -- I never shop there because there's not one near me. I've also never been to the farmer's market on Airline, but have been thinking I ought to pay them a visit. Is it worth getting up super early on Sat morning?

The downtown stores are all restaurants...great grub, BTW. I didn't know about the Kirby and Voss stores. Good for them.

Oh, and bigtex...yeah, I did know. ;)

I found a little butcher down the street from me. And I struck up a lively conversation with him. He too likes to drink alot. He's been there for 11 years and he says business is doing well. Looks like I'll be going to him for all my meat needs. ;)

I had a dream that Wal-Mart started buying stuff like malls and Mc Donalds, and just sold everything Wal-Mart.

Although a lot of people hate Wal-Mart, they have good deals inside, I bought 2 spiral note books for 10 cents a peice. I guess its a back to school sale.

Wal-Mart doesn't carry organic or specialty sections. It's pretty generic and very underwhelming.

No kidding. Many of the things I buy regularly aren't available at Wal-Mart. Of course I'm one of those self-admitted Wal-Mart haters who avoids the store at all cost. Last night I did stop in one in South Carolina out of total desperation; at 10:00 PM there really wasn't anything else open. That was my first time inside a Wal-Mart in about six months; it will probably be at least that long before I set foot in one again.

• 10 months later...
I truly believe that in due time that only Wal-Mart Supercenters will exist. Fiesta, Randall's, and even H.E.B. will be only memories.

I think that is far away. There are 2 Randall's, a HEB, 2 Kroger's, and a Food Town closer to me right now than any Super Wal-Mart. I am not sure one or two large Regional Super Wal Mart's in this same trade area will do the trick. Not to mention the fact that rich people don't want anything to do with Wal - Mart.

I could see a scenario where Wal-Mart buys food retailers and has niche market stores under different names but still owned by Wal-Mart.

I truly believe that in due time that only Wal-Mart Supercenters will exist. Fiesta, Randall's, and even H.E.B. will be only memories.

geez i hope not...

and there are no walmarts close to me, either

Over here where I live there are at least five Wal-Mart Supercenters and two regular Wal-Mart stores.

Where do you live? Haow close are the Super Wal-Marts to each other.

I live at Briar Forret and Beltway 8. There is a Super Wal Mart at Westheimer and Dunvale and another Wal Mart on the Beltway just due North of I-10. I cannot think of any others that close. Maybe there is one out West on Westhiemer, but it is not jumping out at me.

Where do you live? Haow close are the Super Wal-Marts to each other.

I live at Briar Forret and Beltway 8. There is a Super Wal Mart at Westheimer and Dunvale and another Wal Mart on the Beltway just due North of I-10. I cannot think of any others that close. Maybe there is one out West on Westhiemer, but it is not jumping out at me.

I live in Bridge City, which is 100 miles east of Houston. There is a regular Wal-Mart in this city, and another regular Wal-Mart 14 miles away in Vidor. There's a Wal-Mart Supercenter in West Orange, which is five miles NW of Bridge City. There are two Wal-Mart Supercenters in Port Arthur, which is about 8 miles SW of Bridge City. I know that there is at least one Wal-Mart Supercenter in Beaumont (there might be another one that I don't know about). And in Lumberton (on the north side of Pine Island Bayou across from Beaumont) there is a Wal-Mart Supercenter. I know that there is at least a regular Wal-Mart store in Silsbee (it might be a Supercenter now) which is about 15 miles north of Beaumont.

You can say that there is no shortage of Wal-Marts over here.

You can say that again !! :wacko:

Are you saying that there aren't that many Wal-Marts in the Houston area? I know that Houston has several Target stores. Over here there's one in Beaumont and one in Port Arthur.

I remember back when I lived in Houston, we went to then-Gulfgate Shopping City quite a bit. Mostly we went into Newberry's and Weingarten's. While driving through the parking lot I remember asking my mother why we didn't go into those two stores that I pointed at: Joske's and Sakowitz. She replied: "We can't go in those stores because they're for rich people".

Are you saying that there aren't that many Wal-Marts in the Houston area? I know that Houston has several Target stores. Over here there's one in Beaumont and one in Port Arthur.

I remember back when I lived in Houston, we went to then-Gulfgate Shopping City quite a bit. Mostly we went into Newberry's and Weingarten's. While driving through the parking lot I remember asking my mother why we didn't go into those two stores that I pointed at: Joske's and Sakowitz. She replied: "We can't go in those stores because they're for rich people".

No, there are plenty of Wal-Marts. I just happen to have 10 Grocery stores closer to me. I made that point when you mentioned that you thought eventually these grocery stores would be gone and Wal Mart would take over. It might well be the case is small cities where Wal Mart has a string hold. In the big city there are 10 grocery stores for every Wal-Mart. They have a lot of ground to catch if they want to rule the world. > :)

Archived