Randall's/Fiesta Supermarkets History

Ashikaga

I found a little butcher down the street from me. And I struck up a lively conversation with him. He too likes to drink alot. He's been there for 11 years and he says business is doing well. Looks like I'll be going to him for all my meat needs. ;)

A few days ago I talked to a Mexican family who just moved over here from Houston. They said that the deli at Fiesta beats the ones at Wal-Mart and all of the other supermarkets hands down. Maybe their deli will keep them from folding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't the Weingartens become "Apple Tree"?

Nope. The Weingartens were long gone before AppleTree came along. When Safeway announced they were pulling out of the houston market, there was a buy out by local employees and thus AppleTree was born. There are still a couple of AppleTree stores in the Bryan/College Station area. That owner tried to make it in Spring with an AppleTree store at I-45 & Cypresswood, in a former Albertson's location, but didn't make it more than a year.

Nope. The Weingartens were long gone before AppleTree came along. When Safeway announced they were pulling out of the houston market, there was a buy out by local employees and thus AppleTree was born. There are still a couple of AppleTree stores in the Bryan/College Station area. That owner tried to make it in Spring with an AppleTree store at I-45 & Cypresswood, in a former Albertson's location, but didn't make it more than a year.

Maybe not over there in Houston, but over here in this area years ago the Weingarten's store in Port Arthur became Apple Tree, and it folded. The shopping center that it was located in also had a five-and-dime store called "TG&Y." I don't know if there were ever any of those over in Houston. There was also a Big Bonus trading stamps redemption store, because Weingarten's gave out those kind of stamps with grocery purchases.

From back when I lived in Houston, I remember A&P supermarkets gave out PLAID trading stamps. I don't know if there were any Big Bonus redemption stores in Houston. In that shopping center was also a chain clothing store called WEINER'S. I also don't know if there were ever any of those stores in Houston.

Also, in the mid-1980s, the national chain supermarket called SAFEWAY folded. Apple Tree took over the one in Port Arthur for awhile, but couldn't make a go of it. Then a chain in this area called MARKET BASKET moved into it. It closed down that store about a year or two ago.

The shopping center in Port Arthur where that Weingarten's store was located was on the corner of 25th Street & 9th Avenue. It was demolished about six months ago. I drove by there last month. It's now nothing but a big slab of concrete with a fence around it.

.....There was also a Big Bonus trading stamps redemption store, because Weingarten's gave out those kind of stamps with grocery purchases.

From back when I lived in Houston, I remember A&P supermarkets gave out PLAID trading stamps. I don't know if there were any Big Bonus redemption stores in Houston. .....

my mom let me fill in the big bonus stamp books. I bought a disney blanket with them. we also had S&H Green Stamps

haa.jpghaa1.jpg

my mom let me fill in the big bonus stamp books. I bought a disney blanket with them. we also had S&H Green Stamps

haa.jpghaa1.jpg

Gnu,

I simply cannot fathom how you and Subdude can come up with items to post as soon as someone mentions something. To say that it's amazing would be an understatement.

Yes, I also remember S&H Green Stamps. Over here there used to be another supermarket chain called BIG STAR. They also gave out trading stamps with grocery purchases, I think that they were called QUALITY STAMPS. But I don't know if there were any Big Star stores in Houston.

Well, I always made it a personal policy NOT to shop at Walmart if at all possible, and I don't think I've set foot in one in several years. what little groceries I DO buy I usually get from either a fiesta or one of the smaller grocery stores.

That said, I honestly have to say that fiesta does offer alot of things that even the major chains overlook. They even carried russian candy at one of them. (makes note to self to buy some.)

No, Safeway didn't fold; they simply pulled out of Texas.

http://www.safeway.com

Several years ago, they bought Randall's/Tom Thumb, so now they're back. I don't know how Tom Thumb is doing up in DFW, but Randall's has steadily been losing market share in Houston. So Safeway may have the dubious distinction of pulling out of Houston twice.

Supposedly Tom Thumb wasn't doing so well from what i read a few months ago.

No, Safeway didn't fold; they simply pulled out of Texas.

http://www.safeway.com

Several years ago, they bought Randall's/Tom Thumb, so now they're back. I don't know how Tom Thumb is doing up in DFW, but Randall's has steadily been losing market share in Houston. So Safeway may have the dubious distinction of pulling out of Houston twice.

My mistake. But I do distinctly remember that back in the 1980s, the Safeway stores in both Beaumont and Port Arthur closed and became Apple Trees. Later, Apple Tree left and both of those stores became a local chain over here called Market Basket. When the Safeway store in Orange closed, it became Budget Chopper, which is part of Brookshire Brothers. A few years ago Budget Chopper closed, and it was remodeled and converted into a branch of Texas State Bank.

Yup, Houston had A&P, TG&Y & Weiner's. In fact, I think there may still be a TG&Y located on Aldine Mail Rt. Rd.

I remember that TG&Y, Ben Franklin, & F.W. Woolworth were called "five-and-dime" stores. Over here there was a local chain of a five-and-dime store called PERRY'S. I don't know if any of those were in Houston.

Naturally, most of them were put out of business by Wal-Mart. If any are still around, today they would be called "five-and-ten dollar bill" stores. Today's equivalent retailers would be Dollar General & Family Dollar. In the Chronicle, I see ad for a "99 cent" store.

• 1 month later...

I've been to Randall's in Austin. Of Course, Randall's bought Tom Thumb, so all Tom Thumbs in Dallas are like Randall's. Randalls sucks now anyway, now that Safeway has gottent their claws into it. Safeway, we chased you out when you were Safeway, we chased you out when you tried to come back as Apple Tree, and now that you have ruined Randall's we just want to see it put out of its misery - get a clue, Safeway, we don't like you.

There is at least 1 Fiesta in Dallas.

• 10 months later...
I truly believe that in due time that only Wal-Mart Supercenters will exist. Fiesta, Randall's, and even H.E.B. will be only memories.

You might be right about Fiesta and Randall's. Maybe someone out there knows about how many of them are still in business. No, I think that H.E.B. will survive and be Wal-Mart Supercenter's only competition. I patronize both and their prices are about the same on almost everything.

I have noticed that there are no Walmarts inside the loop, but there are Target stores. Maybe Walmart will take over the suburbs, but as long as they aren't opening up stores in more urban areas, Fiesta, Central Market, Whole Foods, Randalls and HEB will still be the grocery kings of the inner loop.

I personally go to Central Market and Fiesta 99% of the time due to Fiesta's convenience and the fact that Central Market is just nicer than any other grocery store out there.

I have noticed that there are no Walmarts inside the loop, but there are Target stores. Maybe Walmart will take over the suburbs, but as long as they aren't opening up stores in more urban areas, Fiesta, Central Market, Whole Foods, Randalls and HEB will still be the grocery kings of the inner loop.

I personally go to Central Market and Fiesta 99% of the time due to Fiesta's convenience and the fact that Central Market is just nicer than any other grocery store out there.

I've never heard of Central Market and Whole Foods. Are they chains only in the Houston area?

I've never heard of Central Market and Whole Foods. Are they chains only in the Houston area?

Hardly. Whole Foods Market started in Austin but has gone national, while Central Market is part of the HEB family. There are stores in San Antonio, Austin (2) and the Metroplex in addition to the one on Westheimer.

Well I know Randalls is in other cities, I would have to check for Fiesta.

EDIT: I guess I only saw your first paragraph, but sefviv answered your other questions, I don't know if Walmart is popular for groceries, but that is because I never shop there.

Oh and Fiesta is only in Texas; in Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin, Waco

We do not have any Randall's or Fiesta in SA.

• 3 weeks later...

Randalls Food Markets, INC was Houston based, later bought 2 other stores in Texas, in North Texas they aquired Tom Thumb, and also Simon David that operated stores from Dallas to Austin. Randalls, Tom Thumb and Simon David in 2000 became a sub of Safeway, Inc. I been wondering though one day Safeway will reband all its "sub" stores to Safeway. Safeway is the largest grocer in the U.S. Kroger is second.

Fiesta Mart operates stores in Houston (base) many in Dallas and one store in Austin off I-35.

HEB has a "supercenter" that competes with Wal-Mart called HEB Plus, They have stores in south Texas and in the San Antonio - Austin Markets so far, I would suspect Houston is next for the next HEB Plus.... They offer all the same items as a Wal-Mart from clothes to auto stuff, I cant wait, I prefer to give my money to a Texas based company anyday over Wal-Mart, I have also been awaiting HEB's entrance into the Dallas market, there is no where decent to shop in Dallas but Kroger and Tom Thumb or Albertsons.

• 6 months later...
About the time Safeway pulled out of Houston and spun off the division as Apple Tree, they did the same thing in Oklahoma/Texas Panhandle, with the newly independent company becoming Homeland stores. They are still in business. www.homelandstores.com

Homeland has been around in Oklahoma since I was a kid (early 90's). I remember that was the place to go if you needed groceries in OKC, OK when visiting my grandparents. I went to Mustang, OK this past summer and found out that the residents there hate Wal-mart. It forced many of their mom and pop shops out of business and a local butcher actually teamed up and moved into the Homeland so that they could better compete against Walmart.

HoustonianInColorado, I just moved back to Houston after a short 4 month job in Fort Collins. It sure is beautiful up there but the atmosphere and state pride just isn't what Texas is.

Ok then Starbucks, Bennigan's, Krispy Creme, Macy's, cats and dogs, etc are all Historic Houston. Tsuh? :mellow::lol:

The way I figure it, if something is shown on VH1 in a decade-by-decade format, its ancient history. If it happened between then and yesterday, its recent history. When I click the "Add Reply" button, that'll be be immediate history. ...but there's no going back and changing what I did with my time at this particular moment. It is locked in. It is historical.

Ok then Starbucks, Bennigan's, Krispy Creme, Macy's, cats and dogs, etc are all Historic Houston. Tsuh? :mellow::lol:

Is that chain called Dunkin Donuts still around? I haven't seen any for quite awhile. Is Krispy Kreme the Wal-Mart of donut shops, putting all of the others out of business?

Is that chain called Dunkin Donuts still around? I haven't seen any for quite awhile. Is Krispy Kreme the Wal-Mart of donut shops, putting all of the others out of business?

krispy kreme had some legal issues which caused their closure and i know several around the country have filed for bankruptcy. not sure i would compare them to walmart.

there are a few dunkin's still around but not as many as there once were.

When, I lived in Dallas near Dallas Love Field airport I lived a mile from Fiesta, Albertsons, Tom Thumb, and Kroger. We had HEB stores, but only in the suburbs and not in Dallas proper.

Also, I still have my Tom Thumb Discount Card and can use it at Randall's. The Randall's, Tom Thumb, and Simon David logo are on the back of it. I have also heard that Publix (which is in the eastern states) is owned by Safeway as well.

Last summer a friend of my son's who is from Idaho was coming to Houston. I told him he could stay with us until he got situated. He called me asking for directions. I asked him where he was.

He said "I'm over here by WalMart".

I said "Which one?"

He said "You know, the big one, out here on the highway"

Welcome to Houston kid, you're not in Idaho anymore.

When, I lived in Dallas near Dallas Love Field airport I lived a mile from Fiesta, Albertsons, Tom Thumb, and Kroger. We had HEB stores, but only in the suburbs and not in Dallas proper.

Also, I still have my Tom Thumb Discount Card and can use it at Randall's. The Randall's, Tom Thumb, and Simon David logo are on the back of it. I have also heard that Publix (which is in the eastern states) is owned by Safeway as well.

Watch out for those supermarket discount cards. A website called "nocards.org" says that what you buy is kept in a computer database and it's sold to other businesses. For example, a supermarket sold someone name and what they bought to their health insurance company. When the insurance company saw that the person bought a lot of red meat, they increased his premium. They contend that too much red meat is bad for your health.

Archived