Sign in to follow this  
tangledwoods

New Chevron Tower for Downtown Houston - 58 stories at 1600 Louisiana

Chevron Phillips is a separate company.  It is owned 50% by Chevron and 50% by Phillips 66 and has its headquarters in The Woodlands.  Chevron has had a capital budget of ~$40 billion per year for the past several years and plans to stay in the $35-40 Billion range for the next several years.  The 50% of the Chevron Phillips budget that is accounted to Chevron is still a small component of its projected spending.

• Like 1

Just found out. This project is on hold according to chevron. 3q isn't happening

Disappointing. More overruns on the Australian gas plant? Or another excuse?

Edited by toxtethogrady

Sad. Oh well, maybe we'll get lucky and have new leadership at Chevron decide to move corporate HQ from San Ramon to Houston and scale this up a bit.

Any chance Chevron will lease space at 800 Bell?

There are a few people on this forum with actual knowledge of this project.  I dont know any big wigs at chevron, but i do know this:

HOK has produced 100% CD drawings that are ready for permit.  The contractor (Skanska) now has a big team working full time on this project.

• Like 9

Disappointing. More overruns on the Australian gas plant? Or another excuse?

My information came from someone who deals with the financial side of things. So, i assume it has something to do with their financial position and financial outlook. But, with big companies, information is not always transperant. He might be consider the "hold" as the year to start this... thats why we have to take it with a grain of salt.

There are a few people on this forum with actual knowledge of this project.  I dont know any big wigs at chevron, but i do know this:

HOK has produced 100% CD drawings that are ready for permit.  The contractor (Skanska) now has a big team working full time on this project.

Now as in they just started putting resources in this? Is 3Q start confirmed by Skanska? My source was not a big wig, and I hope he just is possibly incorrect.

• Like 4

Just because they have the plans being worked on doesn't mean it will be built any time soon. My father worked on the second Anadarko tower in the Woodlands back in the early 2000's and they only just finished constructing it. This way, when Chevron finally decides to construct this tower, they will have minimal design updates.

Why the hell would they walk away from a project as big as this? They'll do the design, Chevron will pay them a large sum, and they will have a small team dedicated to updating as necessary.

If you think that Skanska has the entire company focused on this one project then you really don't what you're talking about. They get paid whether the tower goes up or not. That's how the construction works works.

Edited by BigFootsSocks

This is starting to feel a little bit like a game of "he loves me, he loves me not." Varying posts suggest this will or will not happen in Q3 2015. Hopefully, Chevron will provide some official clarification in the not-too-distant future.

This is starting to feel a little bit like a game of "he loves me, he loves me not." Varying posts suggest this will or will not happen in Q3 2015. Hopefully, Chevron will provide some official clarification in the not-too-distant future.

it's not happening in 2015.

They don't need their staff hanging around a jobsite where nothing is going to happen. Chevron's not the only game in town.

Obviously not, but Chevron will still pay them to design it. No company is above making money. Skanska wins whether this goes up now or a few years. How is that hard to understand?

Obviously not, but Chevron will still pay them to design it. No company is above making money. Skanska wins whether this goes up now or a few years. How is that hard to understand?

Seriously? Skanska is NOT a design firm, they are a construction company. They only make money if they BUILD the tower.

I have breaking OFFICIAL NEWS from top CHEVRON SOURCES:

I was told that this project MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN in 2015, and/or in the forseeable future.

There you have it folks, straight from the horses mouth.

• Like 7

Seriously? Skanska is NOT a design firm, they are a construction company. They only make money if they BUILD the tower.

I have to respectfully correct you. Skanska is a design-build firm. Which means they have structural engineers on staff to design their projects. That being said, the amound of money they make on design is chump change compared to construction. 

http://www.usa.skanska.com/about-skanska/our-services/

Design-build

In 1989, Skanska became one of the first construction firms to offer the advantages of design-build construction to our clients. Since then, we have been awarded numerous turnkey design-build contracts, including site selection analysis and configuration and some of the largest transportation systems built in the U.S. Skanska’s expertise extends to our private clients' needs for world-class facilities that are delivered on-time and within budget. As a leader of the consortium that constructed JFK’s AirTrain Light Rail System, one of the nation’s first billion dollar design-build-operate-maintain projects, we have a proven track record of successful design-build project delivery.

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 3

I have breaking OFFICIAL NEWS from top CHEVRON SOURCES:

I was told that this project MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN in 2015, and/or in the forseeable future.

There you have it folks, straight from the horses mouth.

Howard - Mr Ed does not count as an actual source, nor does he work for Chevron. He works for Texaco ...get it straight.

HOK is the architect and engineer of record on this project.  Skanska is in construction manager / general contractor.  On this project they will not serve in a design build position.

Skanska is currently planning the construction: cranes, schedule, city coordination, etc.  Cool story time:  There are steel columns on this project that will weight in excess of 900lbs per LF.  There are less that 20 cranes in the world right now that make the cut for this project (weight limit, availability, cost, etc).

Again, I am not 100% anything.  I am just telling you what these people are working on.  If you really want to know what the schedule is talk to someone at Kone or Mitsubishi.  The elevator guys are always involved early and end up with all the juicy details.

• Like 4

HOK is the architect and engineer of record on this project. Skanska is in construction manager / general contractor. On this project they will not serve in a design build position.

Skanska is currently planning the construction: cranes, schedule, city coordination, etc. Cool story time: There are steel columns on this project that will weight in excess of 900lbs per LF. There are less that 20 cranes in the world right now that make the cut for this project (weight limit, availability, cost, etc).

Again, I am not 100% anything. I am just telling you what these people are working on. If you really want to know what the schedule is talk to someone at Kone or Mitsubishi. The elevator guys are always involved early and end up with all the juicy details.

When a steel frame is erected in a modern skycraper, dont they normally use drawworks in the basement to hoist all the steel beams into place?

I know thats how that built the Transco tower.

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 1

not to get overly nerdy, but they will likely use a Favelle Favco or Liebherr crane. Typical on something like this would be a luffing jib crane.

Youre not being overly nerdy or technical, I am a crane operator, thats why I asked.

No apology needed; you're doing fine, man, er, ma'am, er whatever... :P

I'm pretty sure he's a man, if you didn't catch the love feud him and some other poster had in one of the subforums. That and his user profile says male. But maybe he was born female, or trans. Whatever makes you happy!

It's great we're getting a steel structure! I pray every night they add just 5-10 more floors to really level the skyline, or some magnificent LED crown.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 3

HOK is the architect and engineer of record on this project.  Skanska is in construction manager / general contractor.  On this project they will not serve in a design build position.

Skanska is currently planning the construction: cranes, schedule, city coordination, etc.  Cool story time:  There are steel columns on this project that will weight in excess of 900lbs per LF.  There are less that 20 cranes in the world right now that make the cut for this project (weight limit, availability, cost, etc).

Again, I am not 100% anything.  I am just telling you what these people are working on.  If you really want to know what the schedule is talk to someone at Kone or Mitsubishi.  The elevator guys are always involved early and end up with all the juicy details.

Well I certainly hope this is a good sign. I just keep getting "this is on hold" when I ask my people. Hard to understand what the situation is...

Well I certainly hope this is a good sign. I just keep getting "this is on hold" when I ask my people. Hard to understand what the situation is...

not really.... oil prices have plummeted nearly 30% in 4 months and have done so at a time when most o&g firms are setting their 2015 budgets.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure he's a man, if you didn't catch the love feud him and some other poster had in one of the subforums. That and his user profile says male. But maybe he was born female, or trans. Whatever makes you happy!

It's great we're getting a steel structure! I pray every night they add just 5-10 more floors to really level the skyline, or some magnificent LED crown.

I'm ashamed to admit I don't know which specific fued you're talking about...whatever, somebody's gotta keep in lively in here :lol:
  • Like 1

not really.... oil prices have plummeted nearly 30% in 4 months and have done so at a time when most o&g firms are setting their 2015 budgets.

That part is obvious... I was referring to Skanska's work and the Chevron insider information.(!0

I

HOK is the architect and engineer of record on this project...  

HOK used to be really big in the stadium business, until they spun that group off.

According to a family member who recently got into the construction supply field, things may be starting to come to a simmer on this project.  I will hopefully have some more light to shed on this tomorrow night.  There is a meeting tomorrow night, and again next Thursday for all contractors and suppliers to help get acquainted with Skanska.  I'm hearing differing dates on the start from what has been posted recently and I have no idea which is closer to being true but I feel that in the case of this thread, where theres smoke theres fire.  Lots of commotion going on recently.

I'll also note that I work for the company that manages the landscaping for all of the Chevron campuses in town so if they decide to turn off the irrigation on this plot of turf downtown, I'll make sure to let you know  ;)

• Like 8

According to a family member who recently got into the construction supply field, things may be starting to come to a simmer on this project. I will hopefully have some more light to shed on this tomorrow night. There is a meeting tomorrow night, and again next Thursday for all contractors and suppliers to help get acquainted with Skanska. I'm hearing differing dates on the start from what has been posted recently and I have no idea which is closer to being true but I feel that in the case of this thread, where theres smoke theres fire. Lots of commotion going on recently.

I'll also note that I work for the company that manages the landscaping for all of the Chevron campuses in town so if they decide to turn off the irrigation on this plot of turf downtown, I'll make sure to let you know ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Will be good to know more.

Well, I have some good news and some not as good news...

The not so good news: there is no target start time on the schedule. As previously mentioned, the hold up is through Chevron as Skanska is more than ready to get this project going.

The good news: The project has been increased to 52 stories. Those 52 stories are ON TOP of the 6 story podium so 58 stories in total. My connection said that they were told it would be the third tallest building in town but couldn't remember if it was downtown or Houston in general. Sorry to not have more info on this but things are definitely in motion. Just not as far along as most probably want!

Fainting-GIF.gif
  • Like 5

Really exited, if indeed the 3rd tallest in Houston, I will be extremely happy :lol::D

I really hope it is, but if not, still happy :)

Im betting third tallest in downtown, dont think itll be taller than Transco, but I hope it is!

I thought the building was, at 50 stories above the podium, already slated as the 3rd tallest Downtown. I doubt 2 stories would be enough to get it above 900'. However, even 4th tallest in the City would nicely balance the Downtown skyline.

• Like 2

Im betting third tallest in downtown, dont think itll be taller than Transco, but I hope it is!

I agree. Has to be downtown's third tallest. But even that surprises me. I will have to look at the heights of the others. There must be a big drop from Wells Fargo to this, I guess.

Edited by Dakota79

I agree. Has to be downtown's third tallest. But even that surprises me. I will have to look at the heights of the others. There must be a big drop from Wells Fargo to this, I guess.

seems like it used to be 832', so almost 170' difference. still, it would be Houstons only 800 footer, and 100' taller than the next tallest building on the south side.

992' to 780' from wells fargo to the BoA building according to wiki.

this will be well worth the wait whenever it finally breaks ground.

Where did the 832' height number come from? Wasn't that just an estimate based on how it looks surpassing 1600 Smith?

That's a very specific estimate.. I believe someone heard it from an elevator guy?

• Like 1

That's a very specific estimate.. I believe someone heard it from an elevator guy?

Alright, well I was just wondering since that would make it exactly 100 feet higher than 1600 Smith, which stands at 732'.  Thanks.

• Like 1

It seems like, even with lower oil prices, if they are transferring 1,700 or however many employees to Houston, they are going to want to build this sooner or later. They're not going to want to keep those employees scattered in other buildings for very long, unless the situation is dire.