Hanover West Gray: Multifamily At 1340 W. Gray St.

King Owl

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i met some buddies at the tavern tonight and asked the waitress about the new apartment complex. she said the final vote is tomorrow to see if it goes ahead. apparently there has been a relatively small amount to hold the land while the sidewalk variance request was worked out. there was also an issue with the sewers. if both of those issues were taken care of they expect hanover to pay the full amount for the land tomorrow. they said their potential last date if the deal goes through is September 24th or around there but i think this was already mentioned.

hopefully this goes through, we need the density. maybe the tavern can find a place in midtown or somewhere else to renovate and move into?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good. It never belonged anywhere near Montrose, but I'm sure some people liked it and I'm happy for them that it's relocating.

For grins, I took this photo when I noticed it as closed before 2am.

Is it already shut down?

DSC02126.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did not read all the other posts but this is an Apartment Project. 275 Units (4-stories of wood) on top of a Podium which will serve as the parking garage. There will not be any retail in the project. It is 5 stories from ground level with very little balconies that will make it extremely difficult to stock anything from a forklift.

There goes my plan to buy an old shipping container - fully outfit it as an apartment, get a high-lift forklift and ram it right in the fifth floor french doors on the balcony. Sure would make moving to subsequent apartments easier.

I've got to be honest -- this is a boring, unimaginative apartment design. The opportunity for ground floor retail and nice wide sidewalks to promote pedestrian activity was also missed. This is a great location, but I'm very unsatisfied with the design and creativity that went into this one.

I realize this has already been debated on here, but this is a failure in my book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, did Hanover sneak some retail in there?!! It appears there might be some retail space on Waugh, or, at least, something besides parking. Could be residential, I suppose. They've framed this section out differently than the rest of the ground floor and there is plumbing in the spaces.

133489576425845923_eyvaqsQP_f.jpg

Waugh side

133489576425845934_Txuy1FA2_c.jpg

NE corner Waugh and W Gray

133489576425845945_ZFax9iEE_c.jpg

NE corner Waugh and W Gray

133489576425845962_9UIg6F63_c.jpg

SE corner Waugh and [street to north of W Gray]

It's probably where their leasing office is...not trying to be a debbie downer, but yeah...

Could be.

That'd be one GIGANTIC, oddly- and multiply-divided, poorly-placed (with respect to parking), incredibly over-plumbed leasing office!

Though I do agree, that'd be a huge leasing office. But, looking at properties like Camden City Center and Amli City Vista - the huge leasing office/reception/common space is becoming pretty standard. Usually a nice large kitchen that tenants can reserve, some shared gaming areas, etc. I don't know that retail would be sneaking into this space, makes sense to have leasing on the ground floor and also nice to see the concrete barrier between the reception and the apartments.

Wow, did Hanover sneak some retail in there?!! It appears there might be some retail space on Waugh, or, at least, something besides parking. Could be residential, I suppose. They've framed this section out differently than the rest of the ground floor and there is plumbing in the spaces.

Is this the complex that said they were building the street-front first floor so that it could easily be converted to retail when there was market for it?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This building is foul.  They got their variance to build up to the street and then put something this flat, bland, and unintersting right in your face?  You have to work hard to be this boring.  There is nothing to break the smooth -- no balconies, nothing indented, nothing interesting at all.  Something, anything, would be better.  I never thought I'd catch myself yearning for Houston's worst design cliches, but at least lick and stick stone, keystones without arches, fake storm shutters and turrets break the monotony.   I never thought those things could have any value until I saw this thing.   Let me paraphrase Larry Sobchek -- say what you will about crappy design cliches, but at least its an ethos.  There must be big courtyards or something on the inside, right?  Right? Driving past this thing makes me feel like I'm in a prison yard.  Of all the cookie cutter 5-7 story compelxes going up, this one managed to distinguish itself by taking bland and somehow making it even blander.  Its aggressively boring.  I just keep thinking someone must have made a mistake -- like they got to then end and then went, "Oh crap, balconies!! I knew we forgot something!"  I can't imagine the developer even feigned interest in the design of this place.  Could the design budget have been any less?  Such a shame to put this blight in a great spot.

Archived