Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

I am looking forward to this development and the adjacent garage as some good infill for Midtown, but doesn't the old Scout building retro-fit look a little strange? Maybe even tacky? Judging by the renderings, the old and new components of this building don't mesh.

Maybe some architecture buffs out there can help explain otherwise, but I just don't get it.

I agree, it looks a little strange but I'm hoping that the real product will blend together a little better than it does in the rendering. I like the parking garage though.

<br>The entire thing is CG i believe.<br>
Maybe it is just me but it looks like that might be somebody standing outside of a window on the left side of that picture, which would mean all of it couldn't be CG. If it is in fact CG I would have made sure those umbrellas were straight.My opinion is that it is a model. Edited by fatesdisastr

I am looking forward to this development and the adjacent garage as some good infill for Midtown, but doesn't the old Scout building retro-fit look a little strange? Maybe even tacky? Judging by the renderings, the old and new components of this building don't mesh.

I like the look. However, if people complain that it's ugly down the road... they could always put that same metal trim along the roof line over the stone sides. That would make the entire building mesh.

Maybe it is just me but it looks like that might be somebody standing outside of a window on the left side of that picture, which would mean all of it couldn't be CG. If it is in fact CG I would have made sure those umbrellas were straight.My opinion is that it is a model.

I think they made it look whacky intentionally. Check out the front tire on that car. It's pointing completely sideways.

I think they made it look whacky intentionally. Check out the front tire on that car. It's pointing completely sideways.

It's a proposed newer model car that can turn on a dime.

My only major concern about this development is how are they going to handle the traffic situation there.

People coming onto bagby from 45 have a tendency to just zoom by. I've seen more than a few accidents there with cars, add a few more pedestrians to the mix and you got a recipe for disaster.

It's a proposed newer model car that can turn on a dime.

My only major concern about this development is how are they going to handle the traffic situation there.

People coming onto bagby from 45 have a tendency to just zoom by. I've seen more than a few accidents there with cars, add a few more pedestrians to the mix and you got a recipe for disaster.

They shold add some flashing lights like they have around schools.

They shold add some flashing lights like they have around schools.

I doubt it would work by themselves, but maybe put up a speed a couple of moderate speed bumps. I just have feeling after a couple of auto-peds, they might have to close down that bagby turn.

Hi All,

I wrote this e-mail to the Midtown planning committee. Any suggestions on how to make this idea a reality would be welcomed... it is regarding the CVS at Bagby and McGowen:

Midtown CVS at Bagby and Gray - Parking Lot to Green Space

"Thank you for your time today, I really appreciated discussing the idea of adding green space to the Midtown CVS parking lot with you.

In summary, this is a few highlights of what I am thinking about:

- CVS at Bagby and Gray has clearly stifled development and pedestrian activity east of Bagby. It has helped to isolate the pedestrian areas west of Bagby and Gray (Post Midtown Square) from other urban developments such as 2222 Smith St, Lil Woodrow's, etc.

- CVS is currently subjected to the CBD parking requirements (thank you Marlon, I did not know this before), not suburban parking requirements so it seems like it may be possible to eliminate some of the parking spaces in the parking lot and still meet city requirements for parking.

- The corner of Bagby and Gray is a model corner like you said over the phone, especially with one of the only mixed used developments in the city underconstruciton at its doorstep (Scout's Square) and the already extremely successful Post Midtown Square. We need to expand on this tradition.

I suggest that we explore working with the owners of the CVS to:

- Break up the parking lot sections along Bagby and Gray and replace them with green space that would be an addition to the current Midtown park

- This green space will inlcude a clearly defined large pedestrian paved entrance that focus' on bringing customers to CVS' front door

- Parking for CVS can be concentrated along the Brazos and Webster side of the building on the current lot that it occupies

- If additional parking is needed, public street parking along Gray and Webster can be disignated for CVS in order to meet minimal parking space requirements

- Maybe we can use some of the funding designated for pedestrian enhancements for this project or even give tax incentives to the owners (these are just suggestions as I am not well versed in these options, additional research for funding will be required)

- We may not be able to convince CVS to take out all parking along Babgy and Gray, but maybe most of it. CVS's main concern will be about the entrance so there will need to be clearly defined paths from the back parking area to the entrance of CVS.

The main issue is that the CVS has cut a large hole into the urban fabricate of Midtown. It is possibly on one of the most important corners of our neighborhood. We should continue to turn out ideas to revitalize this important lot. I understand the management district has done a lot already and I am very impressed with what they have done with the neighborood.

The district has made Midtown a great place to live.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to any feedback or questions you may have."

• Like 2

Hi All,

I wrote this e-mail to the Midtown planning committee. Any suggestions on how to make this idea a reality would be welcomed... it is regarding the CVS at Bagby and McGowen:

Midtown CVS at Bagby and Gray - Parking Lot to Green Space

"Thank you for your time today, I really appreciated discussing the idea of adding green space to the Midtown CVS parking lot with you.

In summary, this is a few highlights of what I am thinking about:

- CVS at Bagby and Gray has clearly stifled development and pedestrian activity east of Bagby. It has helped to isolate the pedestrian areas west of Bagby and Gray (Post Midtown Square) from other urban developments such as 2222 Smith St, Lil Woodrow's, etc.

- CVS is currently subjected to the CBD parking requirements (thank you Marlon, I did not know this before), not suburban parking requirements so it seems like it may be possible to eliminate some of the parking spaces in the parking lot and still meet city requirements for parking.

- The corner of Bagby and Gray is a model corner like you said over the phone, especially with one of the only mixed used developments in the city underconstruciton at its doorstep (Scout's Square) and the already extremely successful Post Midtown Square. We need to expand on this tradition.

I suggest that we explore working with the owners of the CVS to:

- Break up the parking lot sections along Bagby and Gray and replace them with green space that would be an addition to the current Midtown park

- This green space will inlcude a clearly defined large pedestrian paved entrance that focus' on bringing customers to CVS' front door

- Parking for CVS can be concentrated along the Brazos and Webster side of the building on the current lot that it occupies

- If additional parking is needed, public street parking along Gray and Webster can be disignated for CVS in order to meet minimal parking space requirements

- Maybe we can use some of the funding designated for pedestrian enhancements for this project or even give tax incentives to the owners (these are just suggestions as I am not well versed in these options, additional research for funding will be required)

- We may not be able to convince CVS to take out all parking along Babgy and Gray, but maybe most of it. CVS's main concern will be about the entrance so there will need to be clearly defined paths from the back parking area to the entrance of CVS.

The main issue is that the CVS has cut a large hole into the urban fabricate of Midtown. It is possibly on one of the most important corners of our neighborhood. We should continue to turn out ideas to revitalize this important lot. I understand the management district has done a lot already and I am very impressed with what they have done with the neighborood.

The district has made Midtown a great place to live.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to any feedback or questions you may have."

You also forgot to mention that the owner of "The Junction" (formally "The Wet Spot") isn't able to complete its deck construction because it is SHORT *2* parking spaces. nevermind that there is an acre of parking across the street.

You also forgot to mention that the owner of "The Junction" (formally "The Wet Spot") isn't able to complete its deck construction because it is SHORT *2* parking spaces. nevermind that there is an acre of parking across the street.

really?? I didn't know that. I'll bring it up,.

From 002 Magazine http://002mag.com/wordpress/digital-edition/

"Midtown Scout Square Property - Dr. Lucky Chopra with Deccan Development is renovating the historic Boy Scouts Building in Midtown and Repurposing it into a mixed-use building which will inlclude club space and restaurant space as well as banquet and/or conference center and office space. The building will feature a 3-story wine tower & waterfall integrating three entertainment floors destined to be a one-stop destination for fun, food, and music. The project has great visibility from the Pierce elevate and is expected to transform the Midtown skyline. Expected completion is September 2011."

Wine tower & waterfall? sounds pretty cool.

. The building will feature a 3-story wine tower & waterfall integrating three entertainment floors destined to be a one-stop destination for fun, food, and music.

Sounds like a fit for the Midtown crowd. I wonder if they will have an acrobat to retrieve the wine bottles, like in this London Radisson.

153010780.jpg

Edited by barracuda

From 002 Magazine http://002mag.com/wo...igital-edition/

"Midtown Scout Square Property - Dr. Lucky Chopra with Deccan Development is renovating the historic Boy Scouts Building in Midtown and Repurposing it into a mixed-use building which will inlclude club space and restaurant space as well as banquet and/or conference center and office space. The building will feature a 3-story wine tower & waterfall integrating three entertainment floors destined to be a one-stop destination for fun, food, and music. The project has great visibility from the Pierce elevate and is expected to transform the Midtown skyline. Expected completion is September 2011."

midtown has a skyline?

From 002 Magazine http://002mag.com/wo...igital-edition/

I've seen the one in at the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas and it is pretty cool but what would really be cool would be a wine waterfall. :lol:

I've seen the one in at the Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas and it is pretty cool but what would really be cool would be a wine waterfall. :lol:

<mumble>

it would be fitting to call it the "whine" waterfall after a couple of members on here.

</mumble>

Anyone have any details on the liklihood of Camden City Centre II moving forward this year? The presentation makes it sound like 2011 might be a likely year for the project to start.

http://www.snl.com/C...&FID=1001157718 from March 14, 2011

Slide 27

Potential 2011 Development Starts

Camden City Centre II - Houston, TX - 260 projected homes - 36 million projected cost

Older news about the developments, I assume the other block they are talking about is the superblock

http://blog.chron.co...llion-offering/

Edited by DrLan34

Funny, I have a friend that works for Camden in their corporate office. She told me on Friday that they are going to break ground on a new "downtown" property later this year. When I pushed her for more info, she actually said the location is in Midtown. I believe she said it was going to be on Travis St. though. Isn't the current Camden City Centre on St Joseph Parkway near The Edge?

• Like 1

The land across from Camden Travis is probably what you are referring to. I talked to one of the managers that works at Camden Travis and they are supposed to break ground in the fourth quarter. I have been told that it will be retail on the first floor and apartments on the next three floors.

• Like 2