Why some people hate the suburbs

AAA

Of course it's not the ONLY place to live... but it is a BETTER place. :D

only because it is closer to montrose :lol::P

Poor kids and rich kids alike mix at schools like Lamar, and everything turns out okay.

poor is not a race....you mentioned racism specifically....and that is but ONE school of many

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But it is snobbery when you say "the best ______" is inside the loop and then admit you won't even try anything outside the loop.

That would be one of the ones you took too literally.

poor is not a race....you mentioned racism specifically

No, no I didn't.

well has it ever occurred to you that not all parents or kids desire to go to a magnet school....because some people GASP just have regular kids that have no idea what they want to be in life when they are 14-15 years old or they have no desire to be ONLY that and just want to go to a normal local NEAR BY high school with an overall quality education....and possibly....I am about to say it....play on sports teams as well

and possibly some parents don't desire to be a part of thinly veiled acceptance of poor performance by sending their kids to a magnet school that is designed to cover up for the overall poor performance of the school it is attached to or to be a part of overt racism that seems to think that some students can't, won't, or shouldn't be held to the same standards of education solely because of the color of their skin

you claim racism like so many others...but when one looks at the stats a HUGE number of inner city schools are HORRIBLE.....and filled with crime, gangs, teen pregnancy, high dropout rates, and drugs...it is not exclusive to them, but who in the hell would CHOOSE that just to sooth the feelings of a few dolts on this forum.....you seem to be the one caught up on the race of those poor performing parents and their poor performing chilwren.....maybe you are the racist.....if schools with huge numbers of gangs, non English speaking students, violence, drugs, and pregnant students were performing at least EQUAL to or above grade level and had the same or lower drop out rates then possibly your race baiting MIGHT hold water because then one could wonder why parents choose to avoid better performing schools (other than the gangs, drugs and safety of course :lol: )......but you the racist seems to feel that kids performing at a much lower level (and again all the other social issues) is acceptable as long as one can use skin color as an excuse....who is REALLY the racist....and a few magnet schools tossed about here and there is just pandering that only fools and closet race baiters and racial excuse makers (the real racist) find acceptable

the ship channel can't be located inside the loop, or nasa, or petrochemical plants, or every large office building....nor can the people that serve all those things....which means only a total and complete FOOL would think that inside the loop is the ONLY place to live

:huh:

Great debating skills you have there.

I hope you feel better after directing your second rant to me. Maybe it's time for a nappy-nap?

huh.gif

Great debating skills you have there.

I hope you feel better after directing your second rant to me. Maybe it's time for a nappy-nap?

lets be honest how could someone possibly win a "debate" with someone that is so skilled they toss out the race card in the debate.....we all know the bleating of those that cry racism is the end all winning argument of any debate.....well done you should be proud of what you have "accomplished" and all it has "helped" woo these many years......we should get you a statue next to tawana sharpton and reverend funbaby jackson

you are right all parents should just ignore the quality of schools they send their kids to or the overall performance of the schools because this whole "grading" thing has lead this country down the gutter and proper English and math skills are so over rated in society anyway :rolleyes:

I mean really who can argue for caring about a kids education.....look how much better off those people and areas that care nothing about it are......they get free government lunches, welfare, section 8, reduced utilities, WIC, AFDC, and some are even so lucky they get to go to a place where they are told what to do for 23 hours out of 24 in a day while they get free food and TV......I can see YOU HAVE A DREAM!

lets be honest how could someone possibly win a "debate" with someone that is so skilled they toss out the race card in the debate.....we all know the bleating of those that cry racism is the end all winning argument of any debate.....well done you should be proud of what you have "accomplished" and all it has "helped" woo these many years......we should get you a statue next to tawana sharpton and reverend funbaby jackson

you are right all parents should just ignore the quality of schools they send their kids to or the overall performance of the schools because this whole "grading" thing has lead this country down the gutter and proper English and math skills are so over rated in society anyway :rolleyes:

I mean really who can argue for caring about a kids education.....look how much better off those people and areas that care nothing about it are......they get free government lunches, welfare, section 8, reduced utilities, WIC, AFDC, and some are even so lucky they get to go to a place where they are told what to do for 23 hours out of 24 in a day while they get free food and TV......I can see YOU HAVE A DREAM!

I'm not debating you specifically because you didn't even read my posts. You read what you wanted into them and continue to put words into my mouth that I did not say.

As for the racism, I believe it was you who wrote "chiwen axe for foo" or something to that effect. Yeah, not racist at all, you.

Give me a break.

I'm not debating you specifically because you didn't even read my posts. You read what you wanted into them and continue to put words into my mouth that I did not say.

As for the racism, I believe it was you who wrote "chiwen axe for foo" or something to that effect. Yeah, not racist at all, you.

Give me a break.

what does mocking people for not speaking proper English have to do with race....unless one feels color of skin is an acceptable excuse for it :o

On second thought, thanks for reminding me of why I live ITL! You pretty much prove my point with your mindless ranting. :) You obviously have an axe to grind.

so you can sit around and look down on people that shop at walmart, care about education, and don't use race as an excuse for things.....nice :rolleyes:

easier to pick up that trick!

how snobbish of you to look down on that! :lol:

These little arguments can be taken to PMs...

And also, folks from all over drive to Wal-Mart, care about education, and don't use racism as an excuse for things. Let's not geographically generalize these things.

These little arguments can be taken to PMs...

And also, folks from all over drive to Wal-Mart, care about education, and don't use racism as an excuse for things. Let's not geographically generalize these things.

but according to many in this thread and all the others like it only suburban people

Go to Church

Use racism as an excuse for where they live

Use racism as an excuse for picking schools

Are homophobes

Are scared of minorities

Closed minded

Boring

Overbearing parents

Void of any taste in food

Wasteful of all the earths resources

White

Spend long hours driving to work

Over spend and live beyond their means

All do exactly the same things

Live in boring cookie cutter houses

Live in fear of the world around them

Know nothing of "diversity"

Can't use generalizations of those in the inner loop

and on and on...

And they're wrong - most people are like that :o

but according to many in this thread and all the others like it only suburban people

Go to Church

Are homophobes

Are scared of minorities

Closed minded

Boring

Overbearing parents

White

and on and on...

Poor kids and rich kids alike mix at schools like Lamar, and everything turns out okay.

It's not about rich kids, and poor kids. It's about kids and school districts that PERFORM. On total, HISD does not perform as compared to other, much better districts, outside of the city.

It's not about rich kids, and poor kids. It's about kids and school districts that PERFORM. On total, HISD does not perform as compared to other, much better districts, outside of the city.

Yeah, well so what? There are good schools and bad schools in HISD. Your child is not educated based on an average of different schools in HISD, but rather on the quality of the actual high school they attend (among other factors). Just live in the territory of one of the good schools (like Lamar, for example).

Yeah, well so what? There are good schools and bad schools in HISD. Your child is not educated based on an average of different schools in HISD, but rather on the quality of the actual high school they attend (among other factors). Just live in the territory of one of the good schools (like Lamar, for example).

Yeah! Just live in River Oaks!

Go to Church

Are homophobes

Are scared of minorities

Closed minded

Boring

Overbearing parents

White

and on and on...

Yeah, that pretty much covers it.

Its really kind of ridiculous how people keep sniping the last post in the thread. As I stated earlier, there are students from a variety of socioeconomic levels attending Lamar. Read the thread.

and perhaps you completely missed where Lamar is not just a regular neighborhood high school......it is yet another school that had to be dressed up and and make "special" just to even get anyone to go there......many parents and or their children may not desire an IB education and a school dress code for a number of reasons......they may just want their kids to go to the nearest school that offers the same type of safe, quality, American, high school education that worked so well for the USA until we started dropping standards for some and listening to PC fools.....if possible I am sure many parents looked at the "regular" offerings of Lamar and found them to be less than desirable and decided wisely to take their kids elsewhere as to not play a part in the numbers stats games that HISD plays with education....Lamar is just another magnet school by a different name using window dressing to try and cover overall poor performance by HISD

and perhaps you completely missed where Lamar is not just a regular neighborhood high school......it is yet another school that had to be dressed up and and make "special" just to even get anyone to go there......many parents and or their children may not desire an IB education and a school dress code for a number of reasons......they may just want their kids to go to the nearest school that offers the same type of safe, quality, American, high school education that worked so well for the USA until we started dropping standards for some and listening to PC fools.....if possible I am sure many parents looked at the "regular" offerings of Lamar and found them to be less than desirable and decided wisely to take their kids elsewhere as to not play a part in the numbers stats games that HISD plays with education....Lamar is just another magnet school by a different name using window dressing to try and cover overall poor performance by HISD

Lamar is a truly diverse high school. 41% of students on reduced fee lunch program. Not really sure what you have against uniforms? The school has good scores and a lot of different programs that students can participate in. What is it that you think people found less than desirable about Lamar, specifically?

Lamar is a truly diverse high school. 41% of students on reduced fee lunch program. Not really sure what you have against uniforms? The school has good scores and a lot of different programs that students can participate in. What is it that you think people found less than desirable about Lamar, specifically?

Your still just singling out specific high schools in HISD. As big of a district as HISD has, I’m sure there are a few good schools but overall it sucks.

It's true that you can get a good education in HISD--if you're rich, or lucky. I've been spending a lot of time looking at HISD elementary schools lately, and the goods ones are:

1. in places where I can't afford a home

2. magnet schools, which are increasingly difficult to get a spot in. Roberts, for example, will take approximately 10 kids from outside their zone this year. Probably 200 will apply.

So yes, there are good schools. But for anyone to blithely say that parents can live in Houston and just "find a good magnet school" are dreaming.

Technically HISD covers a portion of Houston - there are parts in other districts as well (Alief, Aldine, North Forest, etc.). Likewise there are other cities and some unincorporated areas in HISD.

As for food, etc. I live inside the Loop and mostly go out to eat there, but sometimes I get food outside the Beltway because it is very good.

Archived