GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

It's wikipedia not britannica

Techinically Wikipedia is an online encyclodia.

So I don't clearly see the thought process in your statement.

The entry of the Pavilions will be as detailed as the Galleria one eventually.

I added the info box, and I believe we have 3 anchors, that Books a Million, Lucky Strike and House of Blues.

Techinically Wikipedia is an online encyclodia.

So I don't clearly see the thought process in your statement.

technically it's not. people just put in information on a website that is not validated for truthfulness. they want to be known as an encyclopedia but their accuracy is left to the imagination sometimes.

Edited by musicman

technically it's not. people just put in information on a website that is not validated for truthfulness. they want to be known as an encyclopedia but their accuracy is left to the imagination sometimes.

True but they do check them periodically for false info and are corrected as needed. Im not saying ther are entirely correct but there have been some cases where they locked the edit feature for what they call Vandilism "False Info".

Back on topic thats a good number jobs ro be added. Any info on any new stores going in HP.

There was a study that was done last year and they had found that Wikipedia was just as accurate at times as the Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Yeah, Wikipedia isn't that bad. Sometimes you get the idiot who messes up different pages, but they soon change it back.

Well someone needs to edit the HP Wiki entry. It says HP is "proposed"... when it's under construction. Also, the construction dates are wrong.

Any idea when they are supposed to be open for business? I don't really trust what it says on their website.

I was downtown on Friday evening and things really felt more alive than I've seen downtown since I moved to Houston. I am looking forward to the day when it feels even more alive with some actual retail and more restaurant options. I'm moving near the light rail so it will be pretty easy for me to go downtown in the future, which is another reason I can't wait for this to open.

The thing I like about downtown is it feels a bit more cohesive than any other part of Houston. There may be sketchy people peeing on buildings, but least there are no strip malls. Strip malls have their place I guess, but it's just nice to go somewhere that feels a bit more like a big city sometimes.

Any idea when they are supposed to be open for business? I don't really trust what it says on their website.

I was downtown on Friday evening and things really felt more alive than I've seen downtown since I moved to Houston. I am looking forward to the day when it feels even more alive with some actual retail and more restaurant options. I'm moving near the light rail so it will be pretty easy for me to go downtown in the future, which is another reason I can't wait for this to open.

The thing I like about downtown is it feels a bit more cohesive than any other part of Houston. There may be sketchy people peeing on buildings, but least there are no strip malls. Strip malls have their place I guess, but it's just nice to go somewhere that feels a bit more like a big city sometimes.

HP is supposed to open around October of next year... I guess we will see. B)

A few years ago DT use to be full on the weekends. Main Street had dozens of clubs and bars that reached every target. You even had a few clubs that stayed open to 4 or 5 in the morning.... This past weekend we had dinner, where we knew the manager. We had a conversation about main street and DT being is in a transition phase (every club seemed to be closed down). He was metioning that the city is working hard to make DT in to a great neighborhood to live (which they are taking all the right steps). He also mentioned their are plenty of new exciting things to come to DT other then what we already know about it. The clubs are closing because the city is not issuing licenses to them any more. They are only allowing upscale restraunts and bars, and retail to open on main street. I realy like the new vibe of DT, it is very comfortable and relaxing, you have shows, great food, sporting events, all with a nice enviroment.

My buddy was down from Chicago for the first time in 3 years, and he mentioned how DT has changed for the better since he has was here. Give DT another 10 years and I realy think it is going to be the best hood in the city.... Fingers isn't investing 100 million, HP investing 200 million, the city with the new park with out the chance of DT becoming an exciting community....

A few years ago DT use to be full on the weekends. Main Street had dozens of clubs and bars that reached every target. You even had a few clubs that stayed open to 4 or 5 in the morning.... This past weekend we had dinner, where we knew the manager. We had a conversation about main street and DT being is in a transition phase (every club seemed to be closed down). He was metioning that the city is working hard to make DT in to a great neighborhood to live (which they are taking all the right steps). He also mentioned their are plenty of new exciting things to come to DT other then what we already know about it. The clubs are closing because the city is not issuing licenses to them any more. They are only allowing upscale restraunts and bars, and retail to open on main street. I realy like the new vibe of DT, it is very comfortable and relaxing, you have shows, great food, sporting events, all with a nice enviroment.

My buddy was down from Chicago for the first time in 3 years, and he mentioned how DT has changed for the better since he has was here. Give DT another 10 years and I realy think it is going to be the best hood in the city.... Fingers isn't investing 100 million, HP investing 200 million, the city with the new park with out the chance of DT becoming an exciting community....

That's great what they are trying to do for Downtown.. but I hope they allow at least some bars/clubs to open up there... you need a good mixture. And as for "give it another 10 years"... I think we only need about 5 years until DT is an exciting community.

It's not like all of the bars and clubs are closed. I was downtown on Friday and there were a lot of people waiting in line for clubs and drinking outside on patios, but there were also a bunch of bars and clubs either closed or for rent. So although a lot of bars and clubs are closed, there are a lot more open than closed.

I think this might be a good thing because maybe this will allow different types of businesses to open in the place of the clubs which are now closed. Maybe downtown can't support 30 different clubs - it might be better to have 10 clubs, a few more cafes and restaurants, retail, etc. A more diverse range of businesses is always a good thing.

I just hope those clubs that are now closed don't turn into sketchy wig stores or dollar stores like around main street square. I think we can get better than that.

I noticed right across the street from the construction site (where I was standing when I took the photo)... right next to a popular Italian restaurant, was a whole strip of empty abandoned storefronts. I wonder how long until those become populated. Probably by the time the Pavilions open. It seems like there will be a lot of action around that area soon, and it would be a good time for somebody to open a business there. It's close to the Toyota Center, light rail, and soon to be the Pavilions. It's kind of depressing to see so many abandoned buildings downtown. That's something I never saw in Montreal or Toronto. So I'm hoping that the Pavilions will help make the area surrounding them nicer as well.

I noticed right across the street from the construction site (where I was standing when I took the photo)... right next to a popular Italian restaurant, was a whole strip of empty abandoned storefronts. I wonder how long until those become populated. Probably by the time the Pavilions open. It seems like there will be a lot of action around that area soon, and it would be a good time for somebody to open a business there. It's close to the Toyota Center, light rail, and soon to be the Pavilions. It's kind of depressing to see so many abandoned buildings downtown. That's something I never saw in Montreal or Toronto. So I'm hoping that the Pavilions will help make the area surrounding them nicer as well.

They won't be abandoned for much longer! Not w/ HP opening soon. That area is going to become PRIME for development.

That's something I never saw in Montreal or Toronto.

I've noticed in the last coupld of posts you've made, you compare Houston's recent projects & such to that of Montreal, Toronto, and even NYC. Of Course Montreal & Tonroto won't have abandonded things like that. They've always been downtown/pedestrian friendly/urban. Houston is not. 5 years ago if you were Downtown, you were either taking pictures or you worked there. Lately Downtown has become a new neighborhood, with such things (never thought possible before) as Light Rail, new Office & Resdiential towers, Toyota Center, etc.

I apologize if I come off as sounding hostile or negative, But comparing Houston to Canada's major cities is comparing apples and oranges.

Edited by Montrose1100

I apologize if I come off as sounding hostile or negative, But comparing Houston to Canada's major cities is comparing apples and oranges.

Come to think of it, Jax only just joined HAIF fairly recently, hails from and makes questionable comparisons of Houston to Canadian cities, and has an interest in urban/architectural issues...

This is a long shot, here, but any chance that you're a consultant to the City?

Edited by TheNiche

That's one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. Seriously. It's a fresh idea that hasn't been done to death.

I know an accountant in The Woodlands who's wild about cranes. I guess there's a fascination for everything. Maybe a calendar is a good idea.

Come to think of it, Jax only just joined HAIF fairly recently, hails from and makes questionable comparisons of Houston to Canadian cities, and has an interest in urban/architectural issues...

This is a long shot, here, but any chance that you're a consultant to the City?

I guess I got upset because I saw that sort of thing on SSC all the time, and the comparisons were always negative.