GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

6th Street appeals to the 21 year old college kids, who like shot bars and vomiting on the sidewalk. ... but most people outgrow that after a few years, though the memories remain.

20 years later, and I still havent outgrown it.

20 years later, and I still havent outgrown it.

6th street is like a vacation party street.... same as northgate in college station.

Outside of the nostalgia from longhorns and aggies respectively, It's okay once a year, and is very enjoyable... but on a normal given weekend, I wouldn't trade it for what we got here.

Edited by Highway6

If you mean late night, as in 2 am, there will be several. House of Blues and the bowling alley will both be late night. If you mean after hours, no, there will not be. There may be a 24 hour cafe, but no clubs. I would think a sports bar would do very well here, also.

I can see Pavillions and North Main both doing well. They will have different vibes, attracting different demographics. One is historic cool, the other modern cool.

I expect the clubbing scene to take off because of Pavillions, but I don't expect the clubs to actually be located there. I'm expecting Main Street to become more intact as the clubbing destination, and Pavillions to keep the 24-hour vibe alive, maybe as the hangover-hangout, so to speak.

As for 6th Street, no surprise that the Austinites are unimpressed. 6th Street appeals to the 21 year old college kids, who like shot bars and vomiting on the sidewalk. Main Street is going after a different crowd. Not to denigrate 6th Street or shot bars, but most people outgrow that after a few years, though the memories remain.

I thought you were describing the Korea clubbing scene at first. :lol: I was like "I don't remember meeting Redscare in Daegu!" That's how it was after a dj set there, but that seemed to help make the atmosphere what it was. Pedestrians bar/restaurant-hopping/nightlife activities all night, and walking/shopping on that same street all day. I'm hoping downtown will soon be able to do that. You don't need alcohol to have a good time at night.

Nice post but you forgot one thing to add to the equation:

Pavillions will almost essentially connect the Hitlon America's and Toyota Center (HP ends just 2 blocks west) to Main Street. For Rockets, Comets and Aeros games, I could see Pavillions fast becoming an ideal hangout destination both before and after games. I personally believe that's why this site was chosen...simply due to its proximity to both the GRB complex, Toyota Center, and Main St, all 3 of which are drawing cards in downtown's scene. On top of that, you have the added benefit of the city's largest office corridor flanking the development's north side, making it ideal for residences and "happy hours."

My only wish is that Houston Pavillions could have been extended just two blocks further east to literally connect to both the Hilton Americas, Toyota Center and the urban gardens side of the new downtown park, which would be across the street. Can you imagine the effect Houston Pavillions would have on downtown's east side if this were to happen....

While I didn't post about it, I know it will connect the Hilton Americas/GRB/Toyota Center to Downtown. The Houston Center already does anyhow...

My only wish is that Houston Pavillions could have been extended just two blocks further east to literally connect to both the Hilton Americas, Toyota Center and the urban gardens side of the new downtown park, which would be across the street. Can you imagine the effect Houston Pavillions would have on downtown's east side if this were to happen....

That still may happen. There's the posibility that they could expand the Houston Pavillions project after the first three blocks are opened. Perhaps the opening of Pavillions is seen by the developers as phase one?

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Pedestrians bar/restaurant-hopping/nightlife activities all night, and walking/shopping on that same street all day. I'm hoping downtown will soon be able to do that.

This woud be great. We need MANY more people actually living downtown for this to work.

SO TRUE. no ethnic diversity what so ever on 6th St.

i disagree. seems like 6th street is as diverse as UT. i haven't been for a while, but i always see huge crowds of asians/blacks.

if you want the older, more diverse crowd you can always go to 4th street.

6th st. is not that great I hate the fact that almost everynight you will most likely see a fight, those kids are still with that High School drama, it gets anoying after a while. The girls are always enjoyable though ...

as for the homeless people in The Pavillions I don't think there be a problem I think they nolonger hang out in downtown, they've move more towards midtown. but if there were to start hanging out near The Pavillions, I wouldn't mind having my taxes raised for the city to ship them to The Woodlands or some other place LMAO

I e-mailed the GHCVB a while back; probably a couple of months ago. They said that it should break ground around August or September. I can't find the e-mail.

I don't think this was the exact address I used, but since I already e-mailed them and got a reply, someone else can if they want:

wzuchniewicz@ghcvb.org

Lucky Strike is mentioned in the press room of the GHCVB website. HP was mentioned somewhere in there not long ago.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

Some of us should go over to the site and break the ground for them.

LOL

That can be the next HAIF meet and greet. Everyone could just bring a pick axe and shovel and let the good times roll :D

so is this project really a go or wuuuuut???

Yes it's a go.

Semipro will tell you different

Listen to what I tell y'all. IF!<-- the big IF factor... The Pavilions break ground its going to be around next year.

It sounds like he's coming around though ;)

i disagree. seems like 6th street is as diverse as UT. i haven't been for a while, but i always see huge crowds of asians/blacks.

if you want the older, more diverse crowd you can always go to 4th street.

"Blacks and Asians folks, have been spotted on 6th street. It's official, 6th street is diverse!!!"

That would be so funny. Every time a project isn't coming along as fast as it should, or as fast as we think it should (and that's quite often), we can show up and have an unofficial groundbreaking.

All while saying, "HAIF! HAIF! HAIF!"

:lol:

I e-mailed GHCVB (wtih the address I posted above) and got another reply.

They now say that completion should be around March of 2008.

They linked me to a couple of releases about Lucky Strike that came out in May.

Brace yourselves 4 page 27 :)

Wow, it's only going to take lees than 2 years 2 build dis masterpiece?!

I don't know if this has been posted in this thread or not (I apologize if it has) but I was eating at Yao's the other day and the assistant manager said they signed a contract to open a new Yao's in the Houston Pavilions. The current one has a sports bar in it, so the new one probably will too.

That'd be cool if true. That would allow the Pavillions to develop a bit of a connection with Toyota Center, which is what the planners eventually want anyway, to connect eastern downtown with the rest of downtown.

I've also heard that the Yao restaurant in Westchase has been very successful so far, so a second location, if this is all true, wouldn't seem like a particularly risky move.