GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

It's going to be a bit difficult getting serious retail establishments to set up Downtown right now... give it some time... as the resident population of Downtown increases (as it has been) and more and more people visit and stay Downtown better retail will set up shop. Downtown is ONLY going to get better... it's just not going to happen overnight.

This is exactly right. Right now, the Pavilions will only be a lunch spot for the business crowd and an entertainment spot in the evening for the venues downtown. There isn't a market downtown to support retail, especially high end retail, right now. People who will shop at these places are either residents or tourists. The majority of visitors downtown are there on business, so they aren't going to shop during the day. The convention visitors don't have time to shop, either. There isn't a tourist scene in downtown Houston right now.

DT still has ways to go to establish a retail market. The fact that this much progress has been made for entertainment is impressive, I think. Retail will come, but I feel like a significant presence DT is still 5-10 years away.

Also, as far as design goes, I think it's fine. It doesn't blow me out of the water, but it gets the job done. I have been more than satisfied with the designs of Disco Green, One Park Place, Discovery Tower, and Main Place. I think I will live with the Pavilions being mediocre. How many mixed use entertainment centers have won architecture awards, anyways? With these things, the success of the project is more important than being a landmark to the eye.

don't play with us now!

I got a lot of rich friends. Things can always fall through (its H-town) so I don't want to reveal anything more, but I will say this....everyone knows residential in that area is a sure bet right now. On the other hand though, the lot owners are holding out for ridiculous sums.

post-5821-1215793796_thumb.jpgpost-5821-1215793807_thumb.jpgIf I had to pick one fo the other HOB places, I think that the original HOB renderings would have resembled the closest to the HOB in Atlantic City. At least that is what it looks closest to, everyother city has one that looks more like a tin box. Either way this thing is going to look really nice inside.

So what do you suggest i make the title be?

Other Houston:

The thread of Trae's hot babe of an avatar!!!

Trae usually has good avatars (I am uncreative with mine), but no. Talking about the "potential" residential tower. Supposedly Fingers already has option to build one in a nearby block. So I don't know if this is one the same one.

Didn't Fingers purchase two blocks of land originally for two towers by the park?

More or less; at least according to the media at the time. It was reported at the time of the announcement of One Park Place that Finger had obtained control of an adjoining block for a potential future second tower. I have posted that information here before and the information was disputed by someone who claimed to have insider information about the owners of that block...

(I said "More or less" at the beginning because it is my understanding that Finger did not actually buy either of these blocks. He has leased the block on which One Park Place is being built and, as mentioned above, it was reported that he had obtained "control" of the adjoining block.)

(I said "More or less" at the beginning because it is my understanding that Finger did not actually buy either of these blocks. He has leased the block on which One Park Place is being built and, as mentioned above, it was reported that he had obtained "control" of the adjoining block.)

That's true. He leased the block from Hakeem Olajuwon. I can't remember the length of time, but it's nothing like the 999(!) year lease that UP and BNSF have on the Causeway railroad bridge.

I would like to dispel the myth that retail cannot be supported in DT Houston. Based upon a job I use to have in a previous life, I had intimate knowledge with the performance of the Foley's/Macy's store in DT Houston and the fact that it was only open from 9-6 M-Sat, it was always a mid-performing store out of 70 stores throughout 7 states. Needless to say, it made money for the corporation and with over 300K workers in DT Houston who forget to buy belts and pantyhoses, the store was and always will be a solid performer.

If I was responsible for site selection of big-box retail, I would take a chance on putting a smaller sized store and lease the space from one of the many buildings that are downtown that would be happy to have strong retail underneath versus building on an empty lot in suburbia. The building would give favorable terms to a nationwide chain that strived to have retail downtown and on a Sales/Square Ft. basis the DT store would do better than many of the surburban outlets.

I think downtown's retail future is very bright, but this is largely a trust issue for consumers.

Like pointed out in the above post, people have no expectations of actually purchasing something downtown. The place dies at 6pm, and none of the retail stores have the foresight, balls, or whatever it takes to even consider staying open past 6pm... not even the ones near Discovery Green. It's really sad and pathetic.

I bike to downtown very frequently, and I have even taken it upon myself to go to store owners, and ask them why they close so early. The man from Quiznos on Main Street said "no business after 6". Now keep in mind Main street has some people at all times... businessman during the day, theatre-goers and sports venue traffic cris-crossing in the evenings, and club/bar flys at night. After politely pointing some of this out, I asked him if he would ever consider staying open later. He replied "no b/c I wanna go home as soon as traffic thins out, and we're not hiring right now." It is a mentality for Houstonians that downtown is for work and work only. That ain't a gonna change overnight.

So my point with this is... the downtown image has to chip away very slowly, b/c that's how we'll get the long-lasting effects. When you see projects like Discovery Green and OPP now towering behind it, it makes you very excited and anxious for change and new street life. But I think the pace of downtown is better for sustainability. What we don't want is for downtown to be the "hot new place" and then wash away like every other fad.

Edited by totheskies

I think downtown's retail future is very bright, but this is largelya trust issue for consumers.

Like pointed out in the above post, people have no expectations of actually purchasing something downtown. The place dies at 6pm, and none of the retail stores have the foresight, balls, or whatever it takes to even consider staying open past 6pm... not even the ones near Discovery Green. It's really sad and pathetic.

I bike to downtown very frequently, and I have even taken it upon myself to go to store owners, and ask them why they close so late. The man from Quiznos on Main Street said "no business after 6". Now keep in mind Main street has some people at all times... businessman during the day, theatre-goers and sports venue traffic cris-crossing in the evenings, and club/bar flys at night. After politely pointing some of this out, I asked him if he would ever consider staying open later. He replied "no b/c I wanna go home as soon as traffic thins out, and we're not hiring right now." It is a mentality for Houstonians that downtown is for work and work only. That ain't a gonna change overnight.

So my point with this is... the downtown image has to chip away very slowly, b/c that's how we'll get the long-lasting effects. When you see projects like Discovery Green and OPP now towering behind it, it makes you very excited and anxious for change and new street life. But I think the pace of downtown is better for sustainability. What we don't want is for downtown to be the "hot new place" and then wash away like every other fad.

I just drove by HP this morning. I've driven through it before, but never along the Main Street side. I knew it was close to OPP, but didn't realize that it was also close to a lot of the hotels on Main Street. Also, I work on the West side of Main Street and other than office buildings, there's really not much else than the Park Shoppes, which is a hike to get to. There's going to be high demand during the day and in the evening. I think this project will impress a lot of people once it's complete, and be more successful than anticipated by many on this forum.

What we don't want is for downtown to be the "hot new place" and then wash away like every other fad.

tell that to the youngsters. when it's upscale lounge, next to wine bar, etc. it loses my interest quickly. the average joe can't afford to buy margaritas at $12.

Edited by musicman

tell that to the youngsters. when it's upscale lounge, next to wine bar, etc. it loses my interest quickly. the average joe can't afford to buy margaritas at $12.

Don't worry, I'm holding up the uptight-coot youngster demographic in downtown.

A big problem is people that would shop downtown don't even think of it. It's more than just about what time restaurants close. To break the vicious cycle, we need to make people realize they could come here instead of to the mall.

• 3 weeks later...

Memory lane. . .

Aug 05 with 1 Highrise2 Midrises

2dj6xix.jpg

Nov 05 with 3 Midrises

suysus.jpg

Feb 06 with 2 Midrises

9g8t1y.jpg

May 07 with 1 Midrise, but hey, it's almost done.

11uhro2.jpg

Anyone notice the car is ready to drive back on to the sidewalk again in the third photo after being fixed in the second?

Edited by Pumapayam

not for long. ;) how old are you?

I'm 21, and teetotal. The stereotypes are screaming murder.

Anyone notice the car is ready to drive back on to the sidewalk again in the third photo after being fixed in the second?

Who said Houston doesn't believe in recycling? :lol: