St. Arnold Brewery Company At 2522 Fairway Park Dr.

wernicke

I'm not sure if this is being discussed in another thread, but St. Arnold Brewing Company is moving from its warehouse location off 290 to 2000 Lyons Ave. north of DT:

Here's an exerpt from HBJ article:

The craft brewer, established in 1994, has outgrown its current facility in Northwest Houston, said Brock Wagner, co-founder and chief executive officer of Houston-based Saint Arnold.

"Our current location has served us well and has helped us accomplish a lot by making great beer, but we have run out of space," he said.

Redevelopment of the new facility -- a three-story building dating from 1914 located at 2000 Lyons Ave., north of downtown -- will take a year and cost about $6 million.

The new brewery will feature refurbished beer-making equipment purchased from a German monastery and ultimately will allow for a more than 400 percent increase in brewing capacity.

i heard that they are planning on putting condos or apts. above? anyone hear anything similar? doesn't seem likely, but it supposedly came from a credible source.

LOL.

As long as the interior can be washed with a firehose, then why not?

More info on the new brewery location today in the Chron:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/main/5847046.html

Nice article. Wagner does seem like a nice guy... the two times I have gone to the Saturday "tour" -- really more of a beer fest -- he has been there, eager to talk to his customers. Hopefully the larger facility can create a real biergarten atmosphere a la Bavaria, just north of DT.

They are also conducting their first Galveston pub crawl this Saturday in The Strand district. Starts at 4pm at Old Cellar/Molly's on Post Office.

Sad to see it move from its current location much closer to me, but I think this is a great opportunity for another special treasure downtown. I love St. Arnold's and can't wait to take the Saturday tour at the new facility!!! You really can't help but wish all the success in the world to them.

What type of beer is the new "El Santo"? Guess I can check the web huh?

I was having a hard time reconciling this address with old maps, but turns out this segment of Lyons used to still be Conti St.

2002 Conti St. used to house the Bemis Brothers Bag Co. -

Significantly, Bemis' first branch factory was opened in 1881 in Minneapolis, the city destined to become the company's modern-day headquarters. The evolution of agriculture and the advent of railroad networks had transformed the milling trade into a vital national industry. Minneapolis, the Mill City, had become the industry's new mecca with the rise of Pillsbury, General Mills, and other major concerns.

After its expansion into Minneapolis, Bemis established bag factories in Omaha (1887); New Orleans (1891); Superior, Wisconsin (1896); San Francisco (1897); Indianapolis (1900); Memphis (1900); Kansas City (1903); Seattle (1905); Houston (1906); and Winnipeg (1906)

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-his...ny-History.html

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Yeah, looking forward to this. Its pretty close to the bohemian Nance St. area.

that part of town has some serious potential, imo. the brewery opening over there should generate a lot of buzz... would like to see a few more restaurants/bars, lofts, and retail follow suit.

I would urge anyone who is interested in checking out that area to take the Art Crawl tour this year (November). Its a great way to go into all the artist studios that pepper the area around Last Concert Cafe. I came away from that loving that little niche of neighborhood.

Edited by kylejack

I would urge anyone who is interested in checking out that area to take the Art Crawl tour this year (November). Its a great way to go into all the artist studios that pepper the area around Last Concert Cafe. I came away from that loving that little niche of neighborhood.

I've actually been getting adventurous on my bike trips on Friday nights and ride by last concert cafe, then up to Lyons and go east or west for a bit.

there are a few condos that are built up over by last concert (1300 sterrett?), and I wouldn't be surprised if most of those warehouses haven't been converted to lofts, as the stairs/doors going into the buildings have all been greened up and look really nice, but they are probably art studios, thinking about it.

it is somewhat amazing, riding from downtown on san jac, you get the overwhelming smell of day old urine, and then you turn off onto wood, get onto walnut, and the smell is replaced with normal neighborhood smells. If you don't ride a bike, go down the streets with your windows down to get the idea.

But, once you get into this 2 block area it is very quiet for being so close to San Jacinto and I-10, probably because the streets don't really go anywhere (yet?). The train is close though.

Yeah, most of those warehouse buildings are artist studios (I think I went in nearly every building in a few blocks radius there), and there's also a furniture guy mixed in there somewhere. And of course, Dakota Lofts is right there too.

Perhaps, someday, we'll be allowed to actually buy beer at the new brewery. Jessica Farrar's bill to allow direct sales to consumers at breweries died last month, per the Houston Chronicle.

In a compromise designed to appease the distributors who opposed the bill, the legislation would have allowed people who tour breweries that produce fewer than 250,000 barrels a year to take home up to two cases of beer. At Houston's Saint Arnold Brewing Co., for example, people could choose between differently priced tour packages that include varying amounts of beer to take home.

Farrar said she plans to try again in 2011 and hone her strategy, in part by lining up a senator to sponsor a companion bill.

Brock Wagner, the Saint Arnold founder, was disappointed to see the "state legislating against its own in-state businesses."

Last October, the Houston Press's Robb Walsh explained the ridiculous Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code--which cripples microbreweries, for one thing.