Houston Fire Museum At 3219 Milam St.

Jax

When driving through midtown, I've noticed a bunch of development signs dated 2006, including a Fire Department museum and several mixed use developments, and some kind of plaza on Milam as well, I think.

The signs say "coming in 2006" and it's currently 2007 so I was wondering... are these guys just late or have the projects been cancelled? It would be nice to see less empty lots in midtown.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody?

it sure sounds like just more out of that bag of tricks that those urban-realtor-men use to try and create interest. my favorite though has to be the cute coming soon banners...i don't think anyone has told them that nobody believes them.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

No, they have a new executive director who was the former director of the Denver firefighter museum. She's currently in the process of renovating the existing museum before starting on the new one.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Houston Fire Museum In Midtown
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Fire Museum At 3219 Milam St.

3219 Milam is currently the temporary home of the Fire Museum's offices and store per their website: https://www.houstonfiremuseum.org/

The renovations the the building that will house it, up the street at 2403 Milam are still ongoing. The goal is to reopen at that location some time in the fall.

Minus the fact this is in Midtown, not Downtown - this piece recaps what's going on. 

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/development/2023/04/04/historic-houston-fire-station-no-7-restoration-underway/

"These updates include life safety and upgrades to put the building in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. It also involves an expansion to the museum's abilities for showcasing displays within the historic footprint of the firehouse, hosting events and parties, and meeting the minimum requirements for Houston ISD field trips."

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
On 4/5/2023 at 1:56 PM, Brooklyn173 said:

Between this and the relocated Printing Museum, maybe this part of Midtown is becoming Museum District Light 🙂

think I noticed the printing museum was closed. or at least for lease.

On 1/18/2024 at 8:45 PM, corbs315 said:

think I noticed the printing museum was closed. or at least for lease.

Their website says it's open by appointment only Tuesday-Thursday 10-5, and open Thursday 2-5, Friday & Saturday 11-5. So it's open for 15 hours a week.