Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

If it's supposed to be residential AND retail, the building has to go vertical just to be profitable because the lot is so small. If something is built on here, I wonder how much longer the other lots surrounding the park would last before they start seeing some action, provided the Interest crises doesn't scare anyone off.

What interest rate crisis?

ratecharts17.gif

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/5156092.html

Who was the genius who came up with the idea of building a nice park like Discovery Green in the middle of downtown? There should be a statue erected of him/her. This park is attracting development like bees are attracted to pollen. In 10 years or less DG is going to be like a miniature Central Park right in our own back yard!

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 1

Discovery Green will look great surrounded by three new high-rises!

Renderings from the Chronicle:

http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/09/21/...lineGallery.jpg

There is a mistake on the map. Houston Pavillions is two blocks south between Dallas and Polk.

http://images.chron.com/photos/2007/09/22/...e/0922suite.jpg

(Editor changed the embeded images into links to the images because the Chronicle gets cranky when we embed its pictures)

Well, when I say miniature, I mean about 8 blocks worth of Central Park. :) Maybe I should have said "microscopic Central Park". But who cares, DG is already a total hit and it's nothing more than a 12 acre pile of dirt at the moment. Just wait until Discovery Green becomes 'green' and full of life and people - it'll be rockin'.

I love what's going on in east downtown, just wish I could add about 10 floors to all the towers going up over there tho. But I'm not complaining....just rambling.

Edited by Mister X

This is incredible! That park has generated so much new growth. Who was the creator of Discovery Green, anyway?

Wasn't this the park that people submitted names for? My only fear (and I hate being the negative nancy here but..) is that any greenspace in the greater downtown/midtown area seems to attract the homeless.

I really hope this administration can figure out a solution (bus them to San Antonio/Austin/Dallas) before the park & building construction is finished.

I think Discovery Green will be very populated and, therefore, the homeless will not be a problem. Usually the homeless tend to dwell in quieter, less populated parks and areas. Houston is not alone in homelessness. All the major cities have to cope with the homeless. I am just sorry to see that our government doesn't do a lot more to get these people help and more shelters for them.

Back on the subject, doesn't this remind us of the boom times? It has been years since downtown has had this type of construction activity. I can't wait to see what's next .... a park that isn't a park yet already has developers licking their chops. B)

Wasn't this the park that people submitted names for? My only fear (and I hate being the negative nancy here but..) is that any greenspace in the greater downtown/midtown area seems to attract the homeless.

I really hope this administration can figure out a solution (bus them to San Antonio/Austin/Dallas) before the park & building construction is finished.

Butch up, nancy!

There has been a few naysayers on this park (including me, I think) about how this wasn't going to be enough to attract development and were proven quite wrong, obviously.

Having read the article, I found it interesting that the (proposed) location for this is the Old Ballroom site we were talking about in the past. My initial concern (regarding the signs on the property) were justified. The plot is too small unless they went VERY vertical. While I believe they can live without the living componant, I do hope they keep a retail/resturant section on the lower floors. This would add a considerable oasis for this part of downtown (which is what I call "Siberia" of downtown) sorely needs for the conventioneers as well as those staying at the americas.

Looks like a great building, but I would prefer it not have the Embassy Suites logo at the top of it. That takes away from the look, in my opinion

Doesn't the downtown sign ordinance prevent logos/names on the top of buildings? Of course, Hilton has their name on their building, so perhaps the prohibition is for non-lodging businesses?

There has been a few naysayers on this park (including me, I think) about how this wasn't going to be enough to attract development and were proven quite wrong, obviously.

Add this hotel to the apartment tower and office tower, and I believe that is about $300 million in new construction directly attibutable to this park. These towers also make the other two and a half blocks around the park more valuable for redevelopment. That will bring the City about $2 million per year in new property taxes, in addition to the hotel taxes and sales and mixed drink taxes that the restaurants and retail bring. The idea for the park came from Mayor Bill White, who was criticized by some for trading some land to create the park. This is also the same Bill White who was lambasted in another thread for the "shameful" things he has done to downtown. Given that 7 blocks in that area of downtown are now currently or soon to be under construction (in addition to the 6 blocks that comprise the park), I'd say Mayor White hasn't done too shabby.

Sure would be nice to see construction cranes on that last one and a half blocks between this hotel and Houston Pavillions. That would completely fill in Dallas Street from the convention center to Main Street. :D

But I'm not complaining....just rambling.

As usual!

Since you're so excited about the park, I think you should apply for a job at the snack bar/restaurant that will be located there. I'm sure they'll be happy to have someone with your energy/enthusiasm down there contributing to making DG an ongoing "hit."

As usual!

Since you're so excited about the park, I think you should apply for a job at the snack bar/restaurant that will be located there. I'm sure they'll be happy to have someone with your energy/enthusiasm down there contributing to making DG an ongoing "hit."

...And I think YOU should apply for a room at a rest home for frustrated Houston haters. You must be having a serious nervous breakdown these days with all the positive things going on in Houston.

This is about the booming DG area and Embassy Suites, not me. Please stay on topic, grumpy.

Edited by Mister X

The design is kind of run of the mill, but I don't have a problem at all with the hotel name on top. I just hope there is enough momentum for development in that part of downtown to spread a few blocks north to the Minute Maid Park area, but that might be wishful thinking.

This has to be one of the biggest periods for Houston development since the 1980s boom. Downtown alone has Main Place, Pavillions, Disco Tower, Sheraton redevelopment, the park, Embassy Suites, Park Tower, and possible Brookwoods, 6 Houston Center, and another Hines development. Incredible. :D

I never realized that saying Discovery Green and Central Park in the same sentence was such taboo, but o.k. That rendering in the Chron showing a patch of green surrounded by skyscrapers just made me think of it. It's not like I said something insane like Houston was getting the next Times Square or something.

I'll drop it, but I don't think I'll be the only one (especially when it's finished) to think of Central Park when they see photos or take a stroll thru DG.

I never realized that saying Discovery Green and Central Park in the same sentence was such taboo, but o.k. That rendering in the Chron showing a patch of green surrounded by skyscrapers just made me think of it. It's not like I said something insane like Houston was getting the next Times Square or something.

I'll drop it, but I don't think I'll be the only one (especially when it's finished) to think of Central Park when they see photos or take a stroll thru DG.

It isn't taboo and it is a nice thought. An urban park with hi-rises all around just makes a lovely picture. I can hardly wait to see it all completed. My son has promised me a trip and I want to wait until all these current projects are completed.