The Mix @ Midtown: Retail At 3201 Louisiana St.

bwj

• 2 weeks later...
^^^ You are correct, Kinkaid. This a redevelopment of the garage that had been sitting unused at that intersection for years.

And, unfortunately, as soon as it had been rehabbed, someone crashed into the Elgin side, dislodging several concrete blocks.

I like the angled glass on the corner of the 24 Hour Fitness building...but is that some sort of brick-like product on the exterior? It looks fake-y.

And, unfortunately, as soon as it had been rehabbed, someone crashed into the Elgin side, dislodging several concrete blocks.

I like the angled glass on the corner of the 24 Hour Fitness building...but is that some sort of brick-like product on the exterior? It looks fake-y.

It's real brick... with white stucco-like accents.

I didn't realize both upper levels would be 24 hour fitness until today's Chronicle article... how are they going to put a pool on an upper level? Personally, I was hoping for more retail... hopefully they get some good tennants for the first floor.

EDIT: Actually from Feb 22, posted today in "The Mix" thread: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/5563952.html

Edited by wernicke

It's real brick... with white stucco-like accents.

I didn't realize both upper levels would be 24 hour fitness until today's Chronicle article... how are they going to put a pool on an upper level? Personally, I was hoping for more retail... hopefully they get some good tennants for the first floor.

care to share this chronicle article? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope there are enough residents to be able to support the retail that is there.

There was a sprint store that used to be located next door to the Maple Leaf and it closed sometime in the past couple of months. The former location of Sprint and the empty spaces next to it is covered by a cool looking ad by Red Bull.

Maple Leaf, from what I have seen has been doing smashing business, though.

Thank goodness, finally a 24hr fitness inside the loop and in Midtown! I was going nutz driving out to Post Oak all the time. The only "bad" part about this 24hr is that it will be a Super Sport and therefore more expensive then the regular membership. The one in Post Oak does really well, so I'm assuming this one will too. The basketball court will be a nice addition to the space too. Now the funny part will be when some dufus tries to lift too much wait to impress a hottie and drops it through the 2nd floor into the business below - lol (I know this won't happen - just funny).

I just really hope they put some good and secure bicycle parking near the entrance so I can warm up on a ride over there. Cuts down on gas usage too :)

Thank goodness, finally a 24hr fitness inside the loop and in Midtown! I was going nutz driving out to Post Oak all the time. The only "bad" part about this 24hr is that it will be a Super Sport and therefore more expensive then the regular membership. The one in Post Oak does really well, so I'm assuming this one will too. The basketball court will be a nice addition to the space too. Now the funny part will be when some dufus tries to lift too much wait to impress a hottie and drops it through the 2nd floor into the business below - lol (I know this won't happen - just funny).

I just really hope they put some good and secure bicycle parking near the entrance so I can warm up on a ride over there. Cuts down on gas usage too :)

Welcome to the forum, DavidD.

Well, it is my hope that it will pull quite a few people from the Calais and a few of the Camden, Venetian, and the Post apartments (people jogging down Bagby/Brazos?). Perhaps maybe bring in a good number of Montrose residents.

Welcome to the forum, DavidD.

Well, it is my hope that it will pull quite a few people from the Calais and a few of the Camden, Venetian, and the Post apartments (people jogging down Bagby/Brazos?). Perhaps maybe bring in a good number of Montrose residents.

Thanks, glad to be here.

I know that a few of my neighbours are also 24hr fitness members and we have been complaining about the drive for some time. So I'm sure many of those near West Webster Park like myself will be delighted with the new location, even though we wish it was closer to the Bagby, Gray, Webster area :) But, it's all good.

It should also draw some of the HCC folks over. I know my friend who is a professor at HCC is excited about the new shops and fitness center.

Look closely - it appears to me to be panels faced with some sort of brick-like texure, not true laid brick.

I live across the street and literally watched them lay the brick. They are currently putting some sort of feaux-finish on the back side of the building above the parking garage though.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to see a little restaurant/cafe on the first floor. I think a Starbuck's is already in the works.

I hope so. I definitely would like to see another Starbucks closer. Right now I have to go to the one at W. Grey close to Bagby to get a cup of the most expensive best tasting coffee I can get my hands on. To bad they don't have one inside the HCC Campus they would make a killing. Why hasn't anyone thought of that. Instead all we get is a SubWay close by, bummer!

The 24 hrs fitness is going to be awesome. I can get a little workout in, after night class, or go early in the am, shower and go straight to work DT, but not before getting my Starbucks!!

Edited by CasaNova

• 2 weeks later...

Took some updated photos of the progress. It is getting pretty close...

gallery_4965_81_117844.jpg

I think it is strange that the building seems to only have doors at either corner. Will they add doors to the front later as tenants sign leases?

gallery_4965_81_131976.jpg

gallery_4965_81_186839.jpg

I really like the above section of the building, with all the glass on the 2nd and 3rd floor.

gallery_4965_81_139211.jpg

Yeah I noticed that too.

I feel that sidewalks in Houston are generally in pretty bad shape (Downtown and parts of the TMC excluded). I love it when they make the sidewalks nice like this rather than just the standard minimum width of concrete.

• 2 weeks later...