Tellepsen Family Downtown YMCA At 808 Pease St.

NotYetYuppie

• 3 weeks later...
You should scan and post it.

Well, it has taken me over two months to scan the postcard I mentioned and post it here. In fact, the building on the post card is not the Franzheim building but the 1908 building that was on the corner of Fannin and McKinney. I do not know who the architect(s) was (were) but the building reminds me a great deal of Union Station on the corner of Crawford and Texas (Warren & Wetmore, 1909).

Note the reverse of the post card has writing and a postmark date of June 18, 1909 - almost exactly 100 years ago. It is a shame that both of theses buildings will have been lost.

post-7441-1244341047_thumb.jpg

post-7441-1244341065_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went for a trial workout a couple times. I wanted to sign up for a membership and get some photos of the inside before they switch over to the new facility but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edit: Also, I haven't thought of a way to take photos without people thinking I'm a creeper taking pictures of people working out.

Edited by kylejack

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I read that the YMCA is changing its name to "The Y", although the new logo still has "YMCA". Will they have to change the windows?

the_y_logo.gif

Kinda funny that the letter they are going with is "Y". When I think of the Y unfortunately I think of all the gross old men who inexplicably hang around naked in the locker room. Especially at the downtown one, it's not near as bad at the northwest Y where we go now.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So can we begin a protest to save the old Y now????? How dare we put such an historical treasure on the chopping block!!

Maybe it could be converted into a hotel of some sort???

I don't think that Chevron is in the hotel business.

• 2 years later...

It's really remarkable how much visual cohesion is in this place now that the old brown bldg is gone. It was a lost cause the moment the Humble tower garage was designed.

To the south it's flat opennes is juxaposed by the spectacular rise of the monumental vertical scale of the Kellog tower, to the west the pooling steps of the Continental tower bleed towards it beset upon it's modest illsion of an octagonal tower, and to north the the Chevron tower's existing build outs have now become placeholders framing the openness. Across the street, the oldest neighbor, the Exxon Garage looks less tarnished. It's terrazzo and mesh panels now find common architectural language with it's other modern neighbor's application and joinery of sterotomic and techtonic materials.

This potential high-rise is going to be a very, very nice centerpiece(maybe even trophy) regarding it's site and presumably a hidden jewel amongst flanking giants. I foresee another tower like the Chevron tower (which itself is a architectural blend of 1400 Smith and the Exxon Tower), there's just too many good looking neighbors to not try and blend in.

Also in a later post I'll contend with those who can't see the forest for the trees in regards to the new YMCA design.

spot on.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to YMCA Downtown
  • The title was changed to Tellepsen Family Downtown YMCA At 808 Pease St.