Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

I think it's going to be up to Vertigo. I sent him about 300 cards the other day by Priority Mail and they should be there in time.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking a day off of work for the good of HAIF!

Is life such that watching a "foundation pour" is exciting? Particularly one of a dozen in H-town? :wacko:

This one has the advantage of free food and beverages.

We got out there also, it was pretty hectic. The platforms weren't too stroller friendly so I just stepped up for a bit, on the side that apparently no one else was hanging out on...maybe I wasn't supposed to be there. That was a lot of rebar and concrete.

...and it's damn hot here. I feel my annual urge to whine about the heat coming on strong.

http://www.discoverytowerhouston.com/image...ry/Render_5.jpg

Here's an outstanding shot. With the garage, you get two blocks knocked off with one project. Combine that with Disco G and OOP and that's a lot of real estate transformed in what used to be a dormant part of downtown.

Now I look for someone to come along to rehab the old Days Inn on the south end to help spur redevelopment own there. Once upon a time, that looked like it might have been an Ed Wulfe special but alas...

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

Here's an outstanding shot. With the garage, you get two blocks knocked off with one project. Combine that with Disco G and OOP and that's a lot of real estate transformed in what used to be a dormant part of downtown.

Now I look for someone to come along to rehab the old Days Inn on the south end to help spur redevelopment own there. Once upon a time, that looked like it might have been an Ed Wulfe special but alas...

If they were going to show Discover finished, they could have finished the apartment complex across from 5HC too. :P

Nevermind, just read the brochure.

2 Stories, 16,169 ft of rentable retail space at street and mezzanine level including a 4 star destination restaurant.

I'm guessing the restaurant will be on that overhang thing, which will probably provide an excellent view of the park. This is really an exciting building.

The parking garage has ivy on the east side.

It doesn't take up the entire lot either. There's space left over on the east side. What can/will they do with the rest of it?

Also, the north side of the building is pretty different from the south side.

Edited by lockmat

These new renderings are nice. Earlier on I think someone (Trae?) mentioned that it would have been better had they designed the building to follow the curve of McKinney Street. At the time I agreed -- but now that I see these renderings I'm kind of liking the fact that by setting it back from the street they essentially extended the park a little further. Between that, the wind turbines, the LEED certification, and the ivy-covered parking garage, they do seem to be making a pretty comprehensive effort to tie the building into its Disco Green surroundings.

These new renderings are nice. Earlier on I think someone (Trae?) mentioned that it would have been better had they designed the building to follow the curve of McKinney Street. At the time I agreed -- but now that I see these renderings I'm kind of liking the fact that by setting it back from the street they essentially extended the park a little further. Between that, the wind turbines, the LEED certification, and the ivy-covered parking garage, they do seem to be making a pretty comprehensive effort to tie the building into its Disco Green surroundings.

the plan was to completely blur the line between where the park ends and where discovery tower begins... they're following the same features and landscape architecture to invite the park into discovery tower and vice versa. i think they're doing a tremendous job.

The rendering may be a little old, but I think it would be cool to have the backside (northern face) of the building up here on HAIF for everyone. The only problem is that I can't upload the pic at the moment, but here's their brocure if someone wants to.

It's worth a look!

http://www.discoverytowerhouston.com/disco...er_brochure.pdf

The north-facing side is on page 14 of 15.

Like I said, it's an older image, but I think it gives a good idea of what the "other" side of the building will look like.