The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, flatline said:

Whoa.  Had seemed to be turning over tables okay the times that I've been in them recently.  Might be some macro issues going on at the corporate level:  

http://swamplot.com/pi-pizza-starfish-lease-lockouts-hit-both-ends-of-the-heights-blvd-strip-by-the-bayou/2018-08-02/

Lee Ellis left Cherry Pie Hospitality (the group that owns both places) a few months ago. And Anthony Calleo, the guy who started the Pi Pizza food truck, left the brick and mortar version in January. I suspect other things are going on behind the scenes at Cherry Pie that we haven't heard about yet.

19 hours ago, s3mh said:

https://houston.eater.com/2018/8/2/17645690/pi-pizza-and-star-fish-reopen

The old banking snafu.  I wonder whether transitioning Ellis and others out of the business is why the build out of Lee's Creamery on 19th and Rutland basically stopped in its tracks after being substantially built out.

Spoke to soon.  Sign is up in the window for Sweet Bribery.  It will have ice cream, baked goods and boozy treats.  

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Republic Diner (1221 W.11th Street, formerly Witchcraft) is out, and Blackbird Izakaya is in.  https://houston.eater.com/2018/7/2/17524754/blackbird-izakaya-replacing-republic-diner-noodle-bar-heights

I had to google it, but an izakaya is an informal Japanese pub.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izakaya.  Well I learned something today.

That's too bad about DaCapo's - they made our wedding cake <mumble> years ago. But, like Hickory Hollow, at least they are the ones making the decision and going out on their own terms, rather than having their hand forced by someone else. Hard to begrudge someone a well-deserved retirement after a long and successful run in business. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2018 at 2:25 PM, s3mh said:

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Southern-Goods-will-not-reopen-in-the-Heights-13085559.php

Southern Goods has officially called it quits.  I was really hoping they could rebuild.  

https://houston.eater.com/2018/10/12/17966538/bobby-heugel-justin-yu-new-bar-southern-goods-space-rumor

Some detective work by eater points to Heugel and Yu plotting something for the Southern Goods space.  I am not sure why eater is so sure that it will be a bar.  I would think it would be more along the lines of a gastropub like BLT or even a restaurant give that the space is set up with space for a kitchen.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2018 at 7:36 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Because Bobby Heugel told one of the local news sites his attention is on bars only. That's partly the reason for the amicable split between he and a his partner Kevin Floyd. Floyd wanted to open restaurants with Chris Shepherd, not only bars.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/11-19-18-new-heights-restaurant-bobby-heugel-justin-yu-southern-goods-19th-street/

It will be a restaurant.  

• 3 weeks later...

Mastrantos is having its soft opening and is currently serving breakfast for fans of arepas.

Kolache Shoppe will open in the next few days.  Looks like they are doing dress rehearsals right now.

La Grande Rue has signs of life with a holiday box offering, but no sign of an opening yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bacco in the Heights is coming to the 1400 block of Yale St.  I believe the street number is 1426.  It is in a bungalow on the east side of the street.  They are currently putting in a porch out front with a TABC notice on the door.  This is the same Bacco as Bacco on the Bayou.  Now that the dry zone is history, you can potentially have a pub crawl on Yale St.  Well, more like a wine bar and craft whiskey bar crawl.  

Maggie May's Coffee is coming to the strip center across the street from Hugs and Donuts (the preferred point of reference for everyone in the Heights with little kids).  This will be part of another location for Black Dog Records.  

3 hours ago, Northwood said:

Anyone know what is planned for the renovated house on the NWC of 15th and Yale (201 W 15th)?  The renovation looks great and seems like it could be a restaurant.

I have heard that they are going to make it a space for special events.  

• Thanks 1

Happy All Cafe is closing.  Property will be redeveloped.  

I had assumed that Savoir/La Grande Rue would use Happy All's lot for parking.  Makes me wonder a bit about what is going on with that one.  I peaked in the window the other day and it looks like a fair amount of work is left to be done.  Savoir had a pop up dinner at Mastrantos last week.  But I have not seen a lot of work going on at the location on Yale.  Maybe I am just being overly sensitive in anticipation, as other places had very long roads to hoe with the city and construction delays.  

On 2/16/2019 at 12:25 PM, s3mh said:

Katz’s Deli coming to the Mainland Autosales building.  They better keep the Art Guys statues.  

More importantly, they better keep the zero-setback building, and re-open the windows in the brick facade.

(Anyone needing tires in the near future might want to head to Monterrey while you still can.)

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 1:28 PM, s3mh said:

Happy All Cafe is closing.  Property will be redeveloped.  

Another zero-setback building (though I don't think this one will survive).

If we can't get the city to re-stripe Yale to 3 lanes, normalizing street parking on Yale may be the next best thing for accident reduction.

• 1 month later...

Verdine is now open.  Very snappy decor for a casual vegan restaurant.  Nice to see as so many vegan places are little holes in the wall.

Balls Out Burger has closed.  Never went there.  So, cannot tell whether it was just lame or whether we are getting to saturation on certain offerings.  

40 minutes ago, s3mh said:

Verdine is now open.  Very snappy decor for a casual vegan restaurant.  Nice to see as so many vegan places are little holes in the wall.

Balls Out Burger has closed.  Never went there.  So, cannot tell whether it was just lame or whether we are getting to saturation on certain offerings.  

B-O-B was good, but the spot was a bit random and I didnt think it had the best execution, space wise... Seems like the space is more ice-house like than a burger place.

Still... sad to see it go.

1 hour ago, s3mh said:

B-O-B is close to where I work, and I am not surprised one bit.

I never tried their food, but from the people I worked with and some reviews I read, it seems like there was much to be desired. Every time I drove home, weekday or weekend, their parking lot was almost always empty with the food truck being the only vehicle on the property. The traffic wasn't non-existent on most days.

Another sign profits were low was the state of the building. I believe someone tried breaking in 6-12 months ago through the glass door at the entrance, and they fixed the problem by taping it up. Someone else, later on, smashed through the fence with their car on the northern point of the lot and they never got around to fixing that section.

Really sad to see a restaurant go, but I figured it was only a question of "when" this one would close.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 12:03 PM, s3mh said:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-11-19-squable-new-restaurant-bobby-heugel-justin-yu-heights-drew-gimma-mark-clayton-terry-williams/#slide=0

Details on Squabble which is taking over the Southern Goods space.  Looks interesting, but I really do miss Southern Goods.

Squable (one "b") had some sort of preview or soft opening last night.  Haven't seen a website or social media page, but Justin Yu's instagram has a few hints that it is opening very soon.