East End Townhome Developments

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

There was some activity recently along the east end by Pinto Realty, Asakura Robinson along the Bayou, Urban Living setting up land for a large townhome development and Lovette homes at the MDI lot moving dirt. Dont know what is going on around the bayou but something is driving this action..... any ideas by people on here?

There was some activity recently along the east end by Pinto Realty, Asakura Robinson along the Bayou, Urban Living setting up land for a large townhome development and Lovette homes at the MDI lot moving dirt. Dont know what is going on around the bayou but something is driving this action..... any ideas by people on here?

What streets are adjacent to these areas? Which subdivisions?

Along the Bayou's North bank or south bank?  I see some work under 59.  But, I think that this has to do with the sewers.  Could Asakura Robinson be working for/with Buffalo Bayou Partnership on the Trails? 

There are signs up along the bike trails about upcoming nature areas or something like that -- I will take pictures the next time I ride by one...maybe they are starting those ?

Are you talking about the lots bounded by Kennedy St and Nagle/Middle St ?  I rode by today and they are clearing it off -- I can't remember what the signs used to say, but it was for townhomes.

According to this, it is platted for 38 townhomes:  http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16983556/2700-Kennedy-Houston-TX/

I checked with Asakura Robinson and this is what they commented:

"We are doing the landscape architecture for a development by Padua Realty. We are working with Tony Padua to keep the project as green and walkable as possible."

Looks like Padua realty also owns another decent sized lot nearby along middle street that was cleared.

This area will probaby look pretty different 2 years from now.

• 1 month later...

I like the expansion of the area. This looks to be right by the KBR site. The last I heard, that site was proposed as a helipad although I suspect that is not the highest and best use of the land with such a demand for near-Downtown residential units. A bridge over the bayou for Middle St. and extension of Kennedy St. would open that area up nicely. It is quite pleasant to walk along the bayou near there, and I suspect that, once a few amenities are added, this area will be prime land along the lines of the First Ward and Rice Military.

Very interesting, wild, beautiful yet area with urban/industrial elements. The Bayou along there is amazing. Very excited about this one. I think that Navigation at Jensen and possibly York will have traffic circles installed soon too. I hope that the developers work sensitively with the Latin neighborhood leaders of the 2nd Ward. This are could continue to have a very unique atmosphere.

Hell....freakin....ya! I'm sure we were all wondering when the East End would get it's own signature development. Of course holding back expectations till we get more tangible info/renderings/site plan. Lets hope though that when they mean mix-use and density that they actually mean it. Lets hope that they aim high and do a lot of careful planning and not a quick thing to get it out the door.

ocal builder Perry Homes is planning a high-end townhome development east of downtown in a largely industrial area that's being transformed into a more residential neighborhood.

The Houston-based builder is planning 73 homes on two blocks of land just south of Buffalo Bayou along Kennedy Street.

The property, which is owned by Padua Realty, is a few blocks north of a lively stretch of Navigation that's home to the Original Ninfa's restaurant and the new El Tiempo Cantina. Guadalupe Park is also nearby, as are several miles of hike and bike trails that travel along the bayou.

Padua Realty will develop the land and sell lots to Perry Homes. Tony Padua said his group has reached an agreement with officials from area's tax increment reinvestment zone to help bring necessary public infrastructure improvements to the area.

As part of the deal, Padua's company would front the initial improvement costs and be reimbursed when the taxes increase as a result of the project.

"That's going to allow us to really fix up all the roads and utilities necessary to have this development out there," he said.

A number of other residential projects are being planned nearby, according to those familiar with the area, which is north of the popular east of downtown neighborhood referred to as EaDo.

Many are watching to see what happens with a 136-acre tract north of Buffalo Bayou that was acquired more than a year ago by William Harrison of investment firm Cathexis. The company, which has interests in oil and gas, real estate and private equity, has not revealed plans for the site.

The more established single-family neighborhood to the south and east of this area has been attracting young home buyers who like the convenience of being close to downtown and future rail lines, but can't afford places like The Heights or Montrose.

"These modest neighborhoods have bungalows that look so much like West U did 30 years ago and probably the Heights did 20 years ago," said Vikki Evans, an agent with Martha Turner Sotheby's International Realty.

Evans listed and recently sold a renovated house with a garage apartment in the Palmer Place subdivision near Harrisburg and Milby.

"We had so many offers," she said. The property sold for 98 percent of its asking price.

Perry Homes expects to start construction during the first quarter of next year on the townhomes, which will be three- and four-stories-tall. The homes will range ranging from 1,700 to 2,400 square feet and the majority of them will have three bedrooms.

The company is primarily a suburban builder, but has developed projects in Midtown and other close-in areas.

Many years ago it developed a project east of downtown at Runnels near South Jensen.

"The revitalization efforts in the East End are a visible commitment to creating a walkable, mixed-use community," the builder said in a statement. The company said it has not finalized its pricing plans for the new homes.

Padua said the builder has committed to construct the homes with "high-quality design standards with back-loaded garages and exteriors exclusively constructed with stucco, stone or brick."

"All the homes will have architectural controls to make sure that they're consistent with the type of quality we want to see in the area," he said.

Padua, who refers to the area as the Bayou District and the new townhome project as East End on the Bayou, said the neighborhood has "tremendous potential."

"It's bounded by the bayou to the north with over three miles of hike and bike trails and the widest part of Buffalo Bayou is there," he said. "It's literally a jungle when you go back there," he said referring to native waterfowl, ospreys and an established colony of beavers that live there.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Townhome-project-slated-for-transitioning-5909967.php

Archived