brian0123

Camden McGowen Station + New Park (Midtown Superblock)

763 posts in this topic

Figured I'd go ahead and start a new official thread on this.

Coming Spring 2014 Midtown Superblock Park http://innerlooped.com/1653/midtown-superblock-first-look/

It's going to have underground parking too! There is a link to the full document on InnerLooped.

• Includes a balance of program items that support the overall goals of the Midtown District
• Includes over 140 underground parking spaces that support park activities, nearby retail destination and the Main Street rail line
• Includes over 7,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space

Renderings and info as of 5/2015:

11200908_358529984347574_701174641069209

11196349_358529571014282_168071400440708

JJVD97D.jpg

HnlSiO5h.jpg

2 people like this

I think the parking garage is essential for the area. Hope this comes to fruition.

140 spaces? Three levels down isn't it? Kinda makes me wonder if that is going to be enough spaces. If it reaches capacity quickly, look for other developers to include sizable public garages in their plans.

This isn't a private project though, right?

Is this just a proposal or has it been finalized?

This is going to be great for Midtown. It's right on the rail line and will help attract more development to Midtown like Discovery Green did for downtown. Does anyone know if Camden is building their apartments also? or is the parking taking up the entire superblock?

I believe the parking is under Midtown's portion of the block.

I'm with infinite jim. This is like a Discovery Green part II. We need something a little more interesting and swanky this time around like in Uptown Dallas and maybe a Victory style development.

I'm with infinite jim. This is like a Discovery Green part II. We need something a little more interesting and swanky this time around like in Uptown Dallas and maybe a Victory style development.

"Swanky" sounds expensive and more $$$ to maintain. I think this rendering looks awesome because it fills a need for the area, brings in more retail and green space, and probably won't be a money bucket for Midtown (my tax dollars) to maintain. It should also spur development on the other side of Main. Seems like a win all around to me.

A Victory style development is just about the last thing Houston needs.

2 people like this

1.5 acres? How can that possibly be the case? That land must be at least 200-225' by 1,000' - roughly five acres. Is the entire contiguous space not being developed into the park?

A Victory style development is just about the last thing Houston needs.

well, i guess you're right in terms of the unsuccess rate its had in Dallas, but i still would like to see a little more flash in Houston

1.5 acres? How can that possibly be the case? That land must be at least 200-225' by 1,000' - roughly five acres. Is the entire contiguous space not being developed into the park?

No, it is not. Camden already owns roughly half of the space and plans to build apartments I believe. But the 1.5 acres does seem too small. I found an old Chron article that says the entire parcel was roughly 6.2 acres. If the park will be 1/2 of that, we'd be talking about 3 acres. That seems more likely than 1.5

As nice as this park project sounds,1.5 acres really isn't large enough to make an impact as the 11 acre Discovery Green did.

As nice as this park project sounds,1.5 acres really isn't large enough to make an impact as the 11 acre Discovery Green did.

Remember that Discovery Green was built with nothing around it other than the convention center. This park will finally bridge the East and West sides of Midtown.

In other words, people will now be encouraged to walk from Reef, over to Leon's (or Mongoose vs Cobra coming soon)... or over to Nouveau, etc. In other words, this park will fill the empty gap in the middle of Midtown and encourage people to stop seeing Main street as some border you can't walk across. It doesn't have to be enormous... it just has to have lighting, people, some restaurants, and green space. Plus, it's right at a light rail stop.

I like the basic programmatic elements (like parking) but let's hope that they hire a different landscape firm than the designers of Market Square and Brown park. It just looks like the city is in the tank for certain firms (not naming names but w/r/t the rendering). Those are good parks, but what's the point of going here if it's just going to be another "consumer park?"

Why a restaurant?

Why a museum, library, or sculpture park?

Why any of these things?

Why not create a simple verdant green with dynamic topo?

No dog area?

Why are people so quick to judge Klyde Warren park? (I'm going there next week btw)

Now is the time to ask these questions.

Why not create a simple verdant green with dynamic topo?

What exactly is dynamic topo? Is that some kind of A/V setting on one of these newfangled 3D HDTV sets? Or is it that the soil content is modified so that topography changes at an accelerated rate compared to the natural soil over geologic time? Perhaps it means that there are actuators under the surface? Gigantic subwoofers that generate minor earthquakes at random intervals, just to keep people on their feet (and off the park benches)? Or is it a swimming pool filled with green jello? That would be verdant, green, and dynamic...so long as verdant green isn't anything at all like soylent green...let's not have that, shall we?

A "simple verdant green" sounds an awful lot like a vacant lot. One of the reasons that Discovery Green has been succesful is that it was heavily programmed and has maintained a steady, almost daily stream of various events.

^Brown Park is not a neighborhood scale park; it's a park for tourists/conventioneers and for the greater metro region.

This is ~1.5 - 3 acres, how much programming is feasibly possible and worth it?

Edited by infinite_jim

I cannot for the life of me think of a single thing About Victory Park that should be emulated in Midtown. Midtown is actually successful. There are actual people living in Midtown. Victory symbolizes everything about how to do something wrong. Victory is Defeat.

To even suggest Victory while discussing a park leaves one scratching one's head.