The Norman Apartments At 717 W. Alabama St.

rsb320

It was thundering some, but I heard a couple of pops (not thunder). Then, I started hearing sirens, like it was the end of days. I pulled up sevfiv's recommended HFD site and found that a tree was on fire at Stanford & Alabama. I updated later and the status was Apartment on Fire. I updated again and it said 111 Fire. What is that?

I figure that a transformer blew and caught a tree on fire and the tree caught the apts on fire, then apparently the 111 went ablaze.

News choppers were hovering, so maybe I can get the lowdown that way.

Meanwhile, there was another fire at Lovett and Whitney and an auto accident at Richmond and Montrose. Well, we're getting the weekend off with a bang.

A "Field Emergency Operations" unit came down my street. It was not a fire truck or hazmat. What is that big rig's duties?

I just walked back from The Norman (the apartment that is/was on fire). It looks like it is mostly under control. I think someone lost their cat, but I don't think any humans were hurt.

Didn't know about the Lovett Whitney fire - I saw no evidence of that remaining. I guess it was small.

I thought that the initial number referred to the number of alarms (111, 211 - 1 alarm, 2 alarm). Not for sure, though.

That sounds logical. However, the fire was multiple alarms, maybe three. I heard midtown, dunlavy and another coming from the south.

It did go from Tree Fire, to Apt Fire, to 111 Fire. Maybe they updated when the other alarms went home.

That sounds logical. However, the fire was multiple alarms, maybe three. I heard midtown, dunlavy and another coming from the south.

It did go from Tree Fire, to Apt Fire, to 111 Fire. Maybe they updated when the other alarms went home.

because trucks are dispatched from 3 stations does not make it a 3 alarm fire. the 111 fire (or you may hear box alarm too), is not a manpower intensive fire. sometimes more than one station is dispatched depending on location so that if other factors (trains, traffic, etc) are involved, the fire can be attacked as quickly as possible. the gallery furniture fire i believe was four alarms and there were way more than 4 stations involved.

I thought that the initial number referred to the number of alarms (111, 211 - 1 alarm, 2 alarm). Not for sure, though.

You are correct. "111" is a one-alarm fire. "211" is a two-alarm fire, etc...

The number of alarms isn't always an indicator of the severity of a fire. An extra alarm may be called if extra manpower is needed because it's hot, or the fire is going for a long time, or it is a special structure like a skyscraper or warehouse.

A "Field Emergency Operations" unit came down my street. It was not a fire truck or hazmat. What is that big rig's duties?

If they're anything like the ones I've seen in other cities, its job is to coordinate communications and manpower between different fire companies and agencies involved at the scene.

I lived in one of the upstairs units there for several months in 1984. Winter was interesting, as there was not much in the way of insulation, no heat except for small space heaters belonging to tenants, and (at least in the unit I was in) a 2" gap under the sole entry door which opened into the stairwell shared with another upstairs unit in the back of the building. Nothing that couldn't also be said for many other older Montrose apartment buildings at the time.

In later years, whenever I'd drive by I was always surprised that it had survived this long without being torn down and replaced with townhomes. The ABC13 video indicated the building was a total loss, so I guess we'll see what will take its place. I'll miss it, not so much for any architectural distinction but as an increasingly scarce reminder of a pre-gentrified Montrose.

because trucks are dispatched from 3 stations does not make it a 3 alarm fire. the 111 fire (or you may hear box alarm too), is not a manpower intensive fire. sometimes more than one station is dispatched depending on location so that if other factors (trains, traffic, etc) are involved, the fire can be attacked as quickly as possible. the gallery furniture fire i believe was four alarms and there were way more than 4 stations involved.

Thanks for helping to educate me on this topic, Music and Ed. Also, please note that I saw the ladder-action footage on CHANNEL 11. wink.gif

How terrible! That building won a Houston Press Best of Houston award a few years ago...

Found it, from 2004.

Best Apartment

The Norman Now here's a place we can see Mr. Ralph Furleyholding court. It's the perfect backdrop for Jack tripping, Chrissybouncing and Janet, well, doing whatever the hell it is Janet does.With its palm trees and mustard-yellow detailing, the Norman looks likeit's been transported through a time machine. (Could the name be aveiled tribute to Three's Company actor Norman Fell, who playedMr. Roper?) In an area of town that screams character, this swingin'Montrose pad blends into the mishmash perfectly, without compromisingany of its disco charm. Fittingly, the final n in "Norman" dipsdown in a display of almost intentional kitsch. We don't know how muchit costs to rent at this eight-unit complex, but we definitely want tocome and knock on the door.

http://www.houstonpress.com/bestof/2004/award/best-apartment-31603/

Obligatory Google Street View from better days: Link

I lived in the "U" shaped complex one block over on Roseland @ W. Alabama back in 1978 when I graduated from college. I remember that my girl friend would not "sleep over" because you could hear the rats in the ceiling at night.

"At least they were the excuse she gave me at the time". I don't really remember the complex that burned though.

From what the eyewitness said, she suspected it was Lightning, but nothing official has been announced.

There was lightening/thunder but nothing that close. Not like when the Skybar building and the power vault in Midtown were struck. Those were LOUD.

I distinctly remember hearing a couple of pops and thinking to myself, no that's not thunder.

Judging from how the HFD site reported it (Tree Fire-Apt Fire-111 Fire), I'm going to assume that a transformer blew, setting a tree on fire and tree setting the apt on fire.

It looks like the shell is still in tact. I wonder if it could be rebuilt from within?

• 4 weeks later...

I lived in the "U" shaped complex one block over on Roseland @ W. Alabama back in 1978 when I graduated from college. I remember that my girl friend would not "sleep over" because you could hear the rats in the ceiling at night.

"At least they were the excuse she gave me at the time". I don't really remember the complex that burned though.

I used to live at 820 too. More recently though. It's cleaned up considerably since your time, but it is still Montrose afterall. We'll never be able to entirely get rid of the rats.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Fire - Stanford St. & W. Alabama St.
  • The title was changed to The Norman Apartments At 717 W. Alabama St.

Archived