Lockheed Martin Will Terminate Over 1,000 NASA Positions

The Engineering and Sciences contract with NASA, which was held by Lockheed for over 42 years going back to the Mercury and Apollo programs, was lost last week to Jacobs Sverdrup. Lockheed had designed everything from radar used on the lunar surface, to space shuttle and space station avionics, to the new mission control center, and all supporting tasks. Unlike other contracts that are primarily operations and support, Lockheeds contract was the premere pure science, and design engineering team for Houston's Johnson Space Center. It is being felt hard within the troops, where unique talent that can only be transfered by working with the elders, is being broken apart. Contrary to popular believe, manned space travel is difficult, and requires many years to master the harsh and unforegiving nature of space.

My termination date will be January 31st, 2005.

I have been with Lockheed for 18 years.

Merry Christmas

Regards,

Wow. Sorry to hear about it. I wish I could do something for you. At this point the only thing I can offer is some ad space if you want to post your skills/resume. I can run the ads across all of the web sites. You never know who might see it. PM me if you're interested.

So what you're saying is that this new company (Jacob Sverdrup) is going to rehire laid-off Lockheed employees, and then "matrix" them to various departments within their awarded division?

Does this mean you will be rehired? How many others will be rehired?

Found this press release:

NASA Press Release

Glen

We wont know who will be obsorbed by the new company until after January 10th. The rumor is that Sverdrup is scared as hell that workers will jump ship and transfer with within Lockheed at other sites throughout the country. Some people are actualy speculating that they never really expected to beat Lockheed, and that now, they are worried about delivering!! Of course, they have SOME experience with NASA at Marshal Space Center. But they aint no Lockheed. If enough people jump ship, this would seriously delay, if not downright halt, current return-to-flight efforts, not to mention the loss of critical skills and human capital.

The thing about this contract, at least the way it used to work, is that Lockheed's product was primarily the human capital. In other words, some laboratory in JSC required, say, 3 highly experienced hardware engineers, two entry level, one experienced programmer, and maybe 10 test engineers and one quality engineer. So if the contractor only is able to find people who cannot do the job and really have little experience in that particular area, then the contractor is not providing the product it promissed, and that is directly reflected in that quarters "grade" for the contractor, which equates to a specified profit or lack of thereof.

True, the end-result is flight or non-flight hardware and software, or the operations of a lab such as Mission Control. But technically, the actual product that NASA is paying for is the expertise to have on hand and on-line, i.e., the person. In fact, the higher qualified and better performance employee, the higher the contracter got payed per-hour for that person. Like, A Ph.D would equate to higher profit per/person for the company, in addition to the quarterly grade award-fee based on overall contract performance.

What is so strange, for the last 5 grading periods, Lockheed had received above 90 percent, out of 100, for grades, mainly for all the work on return-to-flight. Naturally, we were all shocked when we lost in the end.

Are there any astronauts in space right now?

There are two right now -- one American and one Russian on the International Space Station. There have been stories in the news lately that supplies on the station are running low and there is a problem with a Russian supply ship about to be launched in a few days, the crew may have to abandon the station.

Being laid off really does suck and is unfortunately a part of the world we live and work in today. I lost my job at the end of September and am still looking. But as I told my sister on the phone last night when helping her with some questions as she was putting together her resume and application to submit to Sverdrup, this is the reality of working today. And we should both count ourselves lucky that it happened for the first time fairly early in our careers and while we're both single and don't have tons of commitments with family and such. I've met people recently who are in their 50s who've been laid off for the first time ever and haven't conducted a job search in 25 years. I'd give almost anything to have not been laid off and not be in the situation I'm currently in, but I also know that I'm only 30 and odds are this will happen at least two or three more times before I reach retirement. At least next time it happens I'll know that I've successfully dealt with it before and can deal with it again.

Only 30 eh? The city is looking for a few good men/women for Paramedic school ;)

You'll never get laid off here, plus a pension & 10 year drop. Sure the pays not the best, but there are other rewards in this line of work :)

Glen

Thanks Glen. But it's not really a line of work I'm interested in.

2112, i'm sorry to hear about your job situation.  :(   i hope you'll take advantage of us here at HAIF when you need a distraction.  :)

Yeah, we're going to expect DOUBLE the postings from you now! :lol:

Seriously, even though getting laid off is part of today's employment landscape, it is still tough (I was laid off from one of our city's more infamous companies :angry: ). It's always a blow to the ego, plus you have the uncertainty about being able to maintain your pay or even stay in Houston. I wish both of you the best of luck.

There are two right now -- one American and one Russian on the International Space Station. There have been stories in the news lately that supplies on the station are running low and there is a problem with a Russian supply ship about to be launched in a few days, the crew may have to abandon the station.

Being laid off really does suck and is unfortunately a part of the world we live and work in today. I lost my job at the end of September and am still looking. But as I told my sister on the phone last night when helping her with some questions as she was putting together her resume and application to submit to Sverdrup, this is the reality of working today. And we should both count ourselves lucky that it happened for the first time fairly early in our careers and while we're both single and don't have tons of commitments with family and such. I've met people recently who are in their 50s who've been laid off for the first time ever and haven't conducted a job search in 25 years. I'd give almost anything to have not been laid off and not be in the situation I'm currently in, but I also know that I'm only 30 and odds are this will happen at least two or three more times before I reach retirement. At least next time it happens I'll know that I've successfully dealt with it before and can deal with it again.

Someone told me there is an article in the chronicle about the whole thing. I havent checked it yet.

NASA has put into the contract that Sverdrup FIRST hire incumbents, i.e. legacy Lockheed employees. And Sverdrup is holding town hall meetings all week discussing the transition. Basically, they will not consider outside applicants until incumbent employees have had 2 days to either accept or decline their offers. It looks like most of us will be picked up. It's built into the contract requirements NASA has written.

I have a 3 and 6-year-old daughter and wife, and of course I am concerned. Especially since my wife also works at NASA and her company has been downsizing. That is life it seems. I am sort of in that transitional phase...I am 39 years old, so not quite a cheap young whippersnapper anymore, and companies like cheap. It really makes you cynical.

I saw the movie

You will accept with no doubt, correct?

Glen

Well, I will do what is best for the family, of course, however,

my heart and soul is tied first to Houston, then to NASA, and then my laboratory. Call me old-fashion, but I really believed in Loyalty. I really enjoy developing electronics, and where I am at is like family, so, yes, I will take the offer to stay there.

Still waiting for it though...

Sesame Street had a good episode last week on dealing with change.  I thought about showing it to my team at work. 

Change can be a good thing.  39 is way to young to be set in your ways.

Good luck!

Thanks. My Christmas trip to the Valley really put things into focus, on what is important. It never fails...all I have to do is see the poverty that has always existed in the valley, and I quickly realize how spoiled I am. It was not that long ago when I lived there, and to think I am worried about a leadership change when I am probably going to keep my job...it seems silly all of a sudden.

The thing I like about NASA, at least in the lab I have worked at, is that we are allowed to think outside the box and innovate. It is hard to go to another industry where last quarter's earnings and stock price dictates your likelyhood of staying employed. I would think one would tend to stick to the time-prooven for-sure ways of developing, at least for design engineers, and not think crazy new ways of doing things. Of course, once we come up with some crazy idea, and the money is given to us, then we have to deliver. But we can think a little more long term and in terms of quality more than price. I like that. I will stick around in a hear-beat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

...Just an update to this old thread....the last post was over a year and a half ago....anyways....

I'm going back to Lockheed!!!!! This thursday is my last day with Jacobs Sverdrup....I start Monday the 25th on the Orion CEV project..

I had been in contact for with Locheed for about 2 months....with contingent offer in hand....and was just waiting to see who would win the big contract. There are a bunch of us jumping ship from Jacobs...to go back home to Lockheed.....I guess in retrospect...it all worked out!

Hey, just reading back on this thread...it was nice to have all you HAIF friends to offer a kind word when all the crap happened a year and a half ago.....thanks again.....

Edited by 2112

...Just an update to this old thread....the last post was over a year and a half ago....anyways....

I'm going back to Lockheed!!!!! This thursday is my last day with Jacobs Sverdrup....I start Monday the 25th on the Orion CEV project..

I had been in contact for with Locheed for about 2 months....with contingent offer in hand....and was just waiting to see who would win the big contract. There are a bunch of us jumping ship from Jacobs...to go back home to Lockheed.....I guess in retrospect...it all worked out!

Hey, just reading back on this thread...it was nice to have all you HAIF friends to offer a kind word when all the crap happened a year and a half ago.....thanks again.....

Congratulations!!!!!! That's great to hear!!!!!!!

Time for beer again!!!!!