Lockheed Martin Will Terminate Over 1,000 NASA Positions

...Just an update to this old thread....the last post was over a year and a half ago....anyways....

I'm going back to Lockheed!!!!! This thursday is my last day with Jacobs Sverdrup....I start Monday the 25th on the Orion CEV project..

I had been in contact for with Locheed for about 2 months....with contingent offer in hand....and was just waiting to see who would win the big contract. There are a bunch of us jumping ship from Jacobs...to go back home to Lockheed.....I guess in retrospect...it all worked out!

Hey, just reading back on this thread...it was nice to have all you HAIF friends to offer a kind word when all the crap happened a year and a half ago.....thanks again.....

Great news, 2112! Congratulations.

FYI: Those renderings are from the original proposal...NASA re-requested for an apollo style capsule, as the updated plan was for the capability for a water splash down landing or a land based landing via parachute, and to do away with the necessity of a runway style landing. The new renderings look more like an updated apollo module.

FYI: Those renderings are from the original proposal...NASA re-requested for an apollo style capsule, as the updated plan was for the capability for a water splash down landing or a land based landing via parachute, and to do away with the necessity of a runway style landing. The new renderings look more like an updated apollo module.

Uh oh, that is gov. speak for "you are on a tight budget, make do with whatcha can on limited funds".

Uh oh, that is gov. speak for "you are on a tight budget, make do with whatcha can on limited funds".

The sad thing about tight budgets is that wasteful spending is rampant. Millions of dollars are squandered into the abyss. Yet, we go about life as if it weren't happening. And for those folks getting laid off, we feel your pain. GM, Ford, it is going on all over. Bummer.

I always thought something new was vital. As long as those 1,000 positions will be filled by someone else it's alright.

Just wanna know do these Lockheed and Syrup people come from other cities>

• 2 weeks later...

Well....I'm on my second week on CEV/Orion...and it has been like drinking out of a fire hose. For a bit there, I started having second thoughts...mainly because I am now a "systems" level engineer...and I have spent the last 19 years or so as a circuit and firmware designer..down at the gorry detail...on the same contract for that long. Part of me misses all that, but I guess I have to look at it like its a new phase for me...the next 20 years! All in all....so far it's envigorating (spelling?)...so many things that are changing almost hourly. It's all good.

FYI: The people breakdown more or less on the Lockheed side (not including subcontractors) is about 800 are in Denver, and about 700 here in Houston. There are others in various states...close to the other space centers....but a big chunk is Denver and Houston. That's an expected number once all staffing peaks and the project is in full throttle. The goal is a first manned launch of Orion to the Space Station in about 2014, and the return of humans to the moon at around 2020. The idea is that - this time - there will be permanent human presence on the moon with the buildup of lunar outposts and such. I dont plan to retire until after 65...so I "should" be around to be a part of that and witness it!!!

i was working on that proposal for the last year, except on the wrong side...

still got ISS/Shuttle work though, so most of us are ok for now.

Uhhg!!! Boeing in the House!

j/k :)

Seriously, I hope there are not any people affected by Boeing not winning the contract. I heard rumors that USA (United Space Alliance) will accomadate any Boeing people left over from the proposal phase. Of course, I'm sure there are Boeing people who would relocate to Seattle or California in a heart beat too.

Uhhg!!! Boeing in the House!

j/k :)

Seriously, I hope there are not any people affected by Boeing not winning the contract. I heard rumors that USA (United Space Alliance) will accomadate any Boeing people left over from the proposal phase. Of course, I'm sure there are Boeing people who would relocate to Seattle or California in a heart beat too.

we'll be fine, plenty of work to go around. most of the people who were working on the proposal have been brought back to Station. which is getting much more busy with Flights, and upgrades (to eventually accomodate CEV).

and no one (in Avionics at least) wants to go to Cali or Seattle, too expensive! and many of them came from there (huntington beach transitioned here in 2001).

so far we've had on person defect to LM, but he had worked there on Freedom back in the 90's.

Are you guys going to reopen LM9 and 10 (or whatever those white buildings are on NASA 1)? Were you leasing them when you had SEAT?

we'll be fine, plenty of work to go around. most of the people who were working on the proposal have been brought back to Station. which is getting much more busy with Flights, and upgrades (to eventually accomodate CEV).

and no one (in Avionics at least) wants to go to Cali or Seattle, too expensive! and many of them came from there (huntington beach transitioned here in 2001).

so far we've had on person defect to LM, but he had worked there on Freedom back in the 90's.

Are you guys going to reopen LM9 and 10 (or whatever those white buildings are on NASA 1)? Were you leasing them when you had SEAT?

"Defect"?

Hehehehe. I love the whole Lockheed vs Boeing culture that has pretty much been around since the Rockwell days (Rockwell was the prime shuttle orbiter builder...later purchased by Boeing). Ive always been a Lockheed person, and we never had a prime manned spacecraft contract...only engineering support. So this is quite a different feel for many of us...I guess all you Boeing types are veterans at all this. Even though that rivalry is there...to me its all the same game...if all of us dont prove to the American public that we can get the job done...then all of us will loose, Boeing and Lockheed and all the others too. I'm optimistic even after 20 years of being at JSC with all the political crap and all that comes with it...I'm still one-hundred percent behind it still. As far as the 2 buildings...those are the old "Lockheed plaza one" and "plaza two" buildings....which later became LM2 and LM3. We are getting one of them back but only after the landlord renovates it....the place has been the same since 1986 (at least) and needs serious re-work. The second building is sparcely ocupied by the SAIC company (safety and quality assurance)...but I hear if the landlord wanted to - they can all be put on one floor....and Lockheed could get the remaing floors....but thats just a rumor. In the mean time...we all are being crammed 3 to 5 people in one room!...with those white home depot fold up tables...and nothing else!!! I have been scrounging around for post-it notes and a trashcan, and just today I found a nice dusty 1970's vintage file organizer complete with simulated wood formica. The telephones are ancient, they work, but they dont have speakers. This sucks because we are in contact with Denver several times a week...and like 2-to-3 hour teleconferences holding a phone up to your ear is a slight pain. Plus there is no mute button. I'm sure it sounds like a heavy breathing fest at the other end. At least we have adequate computers. Looking around and watching us, it's kinda funny considering the task at hand.

When I hired on 2 weeks ago...there were only 15 of us, we were the first batch of hires since the contract win announcement, no joke. And if you include the proposal people that were allready there....I think we made up no more than 35 or so. Twelve more got hired this week....and there is suppose to be a continuing ramp up. Of course there are the others in Denver..and they are ramping up also. It's kinda weird watching all this unfold around me...I kinda feel small when you think of the big picture. But maybe I'm not the only one that feels this way, maybe they just are not showing it. I always believed that confidence should be tempered with a little fear. I know this for sure, if at least part of you is not scared at the task that has been placed in front of us...then you probably dont belong there.

edit:

Just for the record...all of this is just my opinion and my opinion only.

Jeez...It's too bad I felt the need to add this little edit...what has this world come to?

Edited by 2112

• The title was changed to Lockheed Martin Will Terminate Over 1,000 NASA Positions