KHOU's Report On Downtown

ricco67

Semipro is Schleprock. Take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I was think the same location as 19514. That seems like a very good location for a hotel because you're not all that far from MMP, the theater district, the bar district and the upper end of the skyline district (where the larger offices are located).

I could see a 30-35 story Sheraton-type hotel on the block. Would be cool if it included residential units.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could see a 30-35 story Sheraton-type hotel on the block. Would be cool if it included residential units.

I could see exactly that, but a jazzier brand, a tad bit taller, and perhaps some special facilities to compliment its location.

...but then that's only what I myself would like to see and in no way constitutes the concepts as they were conveyed to me. ;)

I agree.

Just because things don't happen in the timetable that some want, doesn't mean things aren't going well. The apartment and condo sector in Midtown is doing well, with thousands of more units in it's near future. Downtown is also on it's way with the new Fingers tower, HP and the new park.

I think we need to be a little more patient, our city is doing very well right now.

I could see exactly that, but a jazzier brand, a tad bit taller, and perhaps some special facilities to compliment its location.

...but then that's only what I myself would like to see and in no way constitutes the concepts as they were conveyed to me. ;)

C'mon Niche, let it out!

my bad. i saw two words and my mind thought fannin south. are you talking parking in the medical center lot or on the street across the lot? I think ricco was referring to an actual designated lot. At several of them you can park nearby but at night you don't feel safe walking back.

I am talking about a street surrounded by two apartment complexes that provides free parking.

To get there, enter Collonade from Greenbriar. Make a left, and you will be at Phoenix Drive. The street (on both sides) has areas of free parking. Apartment units sit on both sides of Phoenix Drive.

It had only made a hint of the HP or the Finger's building.

That's part of the problem 4 now. Too many building announcements; not enough building.

Hopefully Main Street's nightlife will grow. It has lots of potential, but needs more clubs, more vibe, and needs a 24-hour party/pedestrian vibe. Hopefully Pavillions would help enhance that, but construction hasn't even started yet.

That's part of the problem 4 now. Too many building announcements; not enough building.

Hopefully Main Street's nightlife will grow. It has lots of potential, but needs more clubs, more vibe, and needs a 24-hour party/pedestrian vibe. Hopefully Pavillions would help enhance that, but construction hasn't even started yet.

Expect an article in the media soon that may (or may not) shed some light on these delays. :ph34r:

i seem to remember ritz carlton looking around for a place to drop a new hotel in town. i'd hoped for a W hotel. is W or the ritz "jazzier"?

Don't bother. You'll never guess.

Yeah, downtown sucks.

I mean, Memorial City with it's Circuit City, Baseball USA, and LaQuinta is just so much finer!

Great list, Kink. Why don't you move back home [and warm up!] and we'll send some of our whiners up to Boston.

Try to keep warm!

B)

Yeah, downtown sucks.

It's only the home of the Rockets, Comets, Aeros, and Astros.

It's only the home of the city, county, and federal government offices.

It's only the site of our city's founding (Allen's Landing).

It's only the space where the major parades are held (Rodeo, Thanksgiving, Cinco de Mayo, etc...)

It's only the home for the ballet (Wortham), Opera (Wortham), Symphony (Jones Hall), and major performance halls (Alley and Hobby Center).

It's only the home of some of the cities best hotels (Four Seasons, Icon, Lancaster, Alden, Magnolia, Inn at the Ballpark) and biggest hotels (Hilton and Hyatt).

It's only the home of the Catholic and Episcopal Diocese.

It's only the home of Bayou Place, the Aquarium, and soon to be Pavilions.

It's only the home for UH-Downtown and it's 11,500 students and 720 employees.

It's only the home for the South Texas College of Law and all major courts.

It's only the home of Market Square, Main Street Square, Allen's Landing, and the Blue Bayou project.

It's only the home of St. Joseph's Medical Center and its 1,900 employees.

It's only where the nation's BEST airline and it's regional affiliate call home (Continental and Express Jet who employ 3,500 folks downtown).

It's only the home of the city's newspaper and its 800 workers (Chronicle).

It's only the home of the GRB Convention Center and major trade shows.

It's only the home of Shell Oil, Lyondell Petrochemical, Center Point, Kinder Morgan, Waste Management, El Paso, KBR, Reliant, and Epco. These companies only base 15,855 workers downtown.

It's only where 3,470 people are employed by the 5 biggest law firms (V&E, F&J, BB, A&K, and B&G)

It's only where the major banks have their regional headquarters (JP Morgan Chase, Amegy, Bank of America and Wells Fargo) and 5,515 employees.

it's only the home of major national firms like Deloitte & Touche, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, KPMG Peat Marwick and their nearly 4,000 high paying jobs.

It's only the Houston base for Devon Energy, Amerada Hess, Chevron Texaco, Exxon Mobil, and Pennzoil (over 11,000 total employees downtown).

I mean, Memorial City with it's Circuit City, Baseball USA, and LaQuinta is just so much finer!

You Kinkaid boys are always bragging and showing how smart you are.

The Mandarin has been expanding like crazy in the US as of late. Their hotel/condo tower in Boston near the Prudential Mall in the Back Bay is nearly topped out and Dallas' Victory Project just landed one.

Getting a Mandarin in Houston would be HUGE and I am surprised that with our international biz base that Dallas got one before we did. That said, the Mandarin would be taking a HUGE gamble to build a hotel/condo tower downtown. I'd more likely expect to see the Mandarin in a BLVD Place setting in Uptown but I'd love to be proven wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Downtown is going to be a bust as far as businesses thriving. I just don't see the appeal of going downtown for bars or clubs when i can go to the Galleria area or hang out at the bars near where i live(Sugarland). There is plenty to do in Sugarland at night. Plus, i don't have to pay for parking. It will be a bust ,you'll see. Surely, i wouldn't want to live downtown.

It's all downtown is a business commute. Like I said before, people rather go to Galleria area, Sugarland, Pearland, Memorial City area, Woodlands (went there this pass weekend and had a blast!). It's so lively there. Anywho, it's going to take downtown awhile to wake up from the nightmare it's in. But, downtown is on the right path with a Urban Park, Park Tower and Houston Pavilions.

Keep it up, downtown MAY see my face and money one of these days.

I think Downtown is going to be a bust as far as businesses thriving. I just don't see the appeal of going downtown for bars or clubs when i can go to the Galleria area or hang out at the bars near where i live(Sugarland). There is plenty to do in Sugarland at night. Plus, i don't have to pay for parking. It will be a bust ,you'll see. Surely, i wouldn't want to live downtown.

Sometimes the parking meters are free.

i believe mon-sat after 6 they are free as well as all day sunday to narrow it down.

Actually I think some or even most of them are even free all day on Saturdays. That or I just managed to not get ticketed somehow!

If they indeed free on Saturdays too, then that is going to be just great for developments like HP.

Archived