KHOU's Report On Downtown

ricco67

Thats good to know. They should be free every weekend and on holidays.

The free downtown parking has worked very well for Fort Worth. Not only are the parking meters free, but most of the parking lots and several parking garages are free also. They're free every weekend and every weekday after 5 or maybe 6pm. I'm sure it helps than one family owns a huge portion of downtown FWorth, and the downtown area there is relatively small. However, I would love to see the free evening and weekend parking in larger cities like Houston and Dallas. I think it would really help to bring people downtown.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. There has to be a fine line on parking access and charging or else that entire district will be gridlocked.

There's probably a reason why they picked THAT particular location for HP.

Although, I would imagine they might have been able to build the entire thing paralleling the line instead of perpendicular.

Thats good to know. They should be free every weekend and on holidays.

up until 1 or 2 years ago weekends were free. The city wanted more revenue so they decided to institute a fee on sats. i know owners of 3 smaller businesses complained that it would hurt business but it was passed by the city. it wasn't until recently though that the new modern meters were installed. many had already been installed with the cotwold improvements but some around market square were installed fairly recently.

up until 1 or 2 years ago weekends were free. The city wanted more revenue so they decided to institute a fee on sats. i know owners of 3 smaller businesses complained that it would hurt business but it was passed by the city. it wasn't until recently though that the new modern meters were installed. many had already been installed with the cotwold improvements but some around market square were installed fairly recently.

Really? Wow, thanks. I really am thankful not to have been ticketed, then!

I think Downtown is going to be a bust as far as businesses thriving. I just don't see the appeal of going downtown for bars or clubs when i can go to the Galleria area or hang out at the bars near where i live(Sugarland). There is plenty to do in Sugarland at night. Plus, i don't have to pay for parking. It will be a bust ,you'll see. Surely, i wouldn't want to live downtown.

I think you're crazy if you think you can find the same sort of lively atmosphere and bars/clubs in Sugarland that you find in dowtown. Sugarland is nothing but chain restaurants and bars nothing original about that place.

I think you're crazy if you think you can find the same sort of lively atmosphere and bars/clubs in Sugarland that you find in dowtown. Sugarland is nothing but chain restaurants and bars nothing original about that place.

:) very true. many of the downtown places are like a family. many socialize outside of the clubs/bars as well. it really is a community

True. Downtown bars are more advanced and livelier than Sugarland, but the commute, traffic, parking space and fees are deterring alot of people i know. Sugarland has improved quite a bit with the night life and bars compared to a couple of years ago. I only see it getting better and expanding much more. I just see downtown having to improve much much more to get people from other parts of the city to drive down there. I don't see it happening.

Sometimes the parking meters are free.

Interesting that you brought this up. KHOU did a story a couple of weeks ago where some of the parking meters were broken and not working. Some of the new solar parking meters weren't operating at all becuz they hadn't even been programmed yet. People were parking for free since the machines were down.

• The title was changed to KHOU's Report On Downtown

Archived